Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   D.S. Worsdale
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4858-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. This was Buckhole Farmhouse in the 1890's taken with a 'plate' camera. The Osenton family were the occupants. Perhaps the gentleman with the gun usuaIly went shooting as elegantly attired? Buckhole Farm is on St. Mary's Marsh below High Halstow. 'Buckhole' Bill Osenton's mother, not being weIl, had an extension built at the right hand end of this building at the beginning of this century but it is no longer there.

t/AINSCOï

30. This picture of the main raad (A228) in Wainscott is familiar to everyone who has to come to and go from the Hoo Hundred. The view is looking toward Roehester . The building with the high gableend is the 'Stag' public house and the shop is still in use. The spire like object is the cupola above the village school. The vehicles which can be seen are all horse-drawn. Since there is no motor vehicle in sight it is therefore assessed that this picture was taken at the very beginning of the century, if not slightly before.

31. This is a view of Church Street Hoo looking toward the 'Five Beils' and the sign post at the crossroads where the group of men stands. On the left, the old gentleman is going into the 'Bridge Tavem' - part of it stands over the brook. Opposite stands a large wooden construction which, until it was pul!ed down in the 1960's, served as a builder's store, and the brook runs along just the other side of it. The next brick building on the right was Mr. Cuckow's, he was the baker. Just beyond the horse and cart was the Doctor's Surgery. Beyond the tavern is a brick wal! which continues for some distance - it was the 'front' garden wal! of the row of cottages known as Tassell's Cottages, built in 1897 and still in use.

32. The Post Office and Store at High Halstow at the time of the picture, belonged to Mr. I.J. Maylem, who, with others used his camera to portray the people and places in the Hoo Hundred during the early part of the century. The smal! sign above the door says 'Post Office' and the main name board gives I.J. Maylem. The carrier's cart stands outside the 'Red Dog' and further along on the right is St. Margaret's Church.

33. Before the advent of the by-pass the High Road led from Upper Stoke, through Middle Stoke and turning sharply left, went down this road to the 'Nags Head'. Mackey's Court Farm House is behind the hedge on the left. This is quite obviously an old picture and one can only guess at why the group of girls should be there with no school in the near vicinity. Perhaps, with the others in the picture, they were curious about the photographer.

34. The Post Office and Store at Lower Stoke still remain much as is seen in the picture but the cottages on the right hand have given place to a public convenience! To the left of the picture is the garden fence of Forge House, with, further to the left, the Forge. The photographer (Mr. Lawrence, the post master) stood with his back to the 'Nags Head'. The wheel over the shop must surely indicate Mr. Lawrence's ability and willingness to help the itinerent cyclist who, we presume, was in number the chief user of the County's roads.

35. Some of the buildings on the left still remain on the High Road leading to Middle and Lower Stoke. The horse and cart for instance, have long since moved on! The road has been made twice as wide but otherwise remains much as it is seen in the picture. Mr. Bennet, the farmer, had the group of sheds which show beyond the square bay-fronted cottages.

HJ(jh StreeL Hoo.

36. High Street became officially known as Stoke Road in 1959. On the left stands the 'Five Bells' and opposite the General Store of Mr. H.A. Broad. The building with the white front on the left is the Methodist Chapel built in 1831, now gone. Of the two girls in pinafores at the front of the group the one on the left is Doris Cuckow and next to her is Eve Cuckow. Their brother Kenneth is the little boy in the 'flat' cap standing alone on the footpath. These three were grandchildren ofMr. H.A. Broad. The girl with the dark jacket and wide brimmed hat and trying to hide behind her hand is Doris Mills. To her right is Kath Morement and to Kath's right is Dorothy Cruttenden.

37. On the raad from Stoke to Allhallows the ditches are not nearly as clean these days but telephone and power lines have, very largely, been put underground. The building on the right, a good example of a Victorian Vicarage, is now a nursing and retirement home.

38. The photographer stood with bis back to the sea in order to focus on this view of Willow Place on the Isle of Grain. The first house on the left is known as Black House, and much altered, remains but the row of cottages has gone, also the house with the gable end facing the road. The two houses immediately before the church are no longer there but the house partially hidden by trees remains. The church acquired its tower in 1905 and can be seen. The school with its taIl chimney and gable end can be clearly seen in the distance - it was replaced by a new building in the 1970's.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek