Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   D.S. Worsdale
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4858-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. This is another view of the High Street at Grain looking toward the church and Willow Place. The buildings most easily identified are Prospect Cottages on the left hand side. Originally there were two dwellings and one of them was once the Post Office. However, they were converted to one dwelling as they are to this day. The buildings on the right hand remain but are extensively modified.

" . ,

HIGH STREET, GRAIN.

40. In June 1912, when this card was posted in Cranbrook, the building behind the gentleman standing on the left was called the 'Cock' but it later became the 'Cat and Cracker'. Opposite is Chapel Raad.

41. This 'plate' photograph ofthe 1890's shows the lane leading from High Halstow on the way to Deangate. The photographer was standing near the bridge over the Hundred of Hoo Branch Railway Line of the South East and Chatham Railway looking toward Dux Court. First is the cottage, then the barn and over the roof of the cottage can be seen the chimneys of Dux Court House. The barn was blown down during the hurricane of October 1987 after at least one hundred years of use.

Infants School. Hno

42. In 1875 a school was built in Stoke Road intended to cope with the whole school age range at Elementary level. However, within twenty years the need for another school became apparent. The new school in Church Street Hoo, seen here, was built by the Hoo School Board in 1894 to accommodate the infants much to the relief of many parents who did not like the idea of 5-year olds walking in inclement weather to the other end of Stoke Road. Both buildings were replaced in the 1960's and this one is now a branch ofthe Kent County Library.

43. The High Halstow School built in 1872 stood here at the junction of High Street and Christmas Lane, opposite the 'Red Dog' and St. Margaret's Church until the 1960's when it was pulled down to make way for housing. It was a parochial endowed mixed school for 105 pupiIs in two establishments, an infants' school and a seniors' school. In 1899 according to Kelly's Directory the average attendance was 75! After its destruction the pupils, as now, travel by 'bus to Hoo or Cliffe Woods'.

44. This card showing Stoke Vicarage is dated 24th July 1911 and was posted in Rochester. Not a lot is known about the building but it was probably built in the middle of the 19th century and with its large ground-floor windows is typical of its era. The writing on the card asks 'don't you think Boysie has come out weIl' and one wonders if this is a reference to the boy or the dog! The Vicarage made way for housing in the 1950's.

45. The interior of the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul remains much as in the picture. It has some Norman and Early English work and dates from 1175. The story hasit that the towerwas prepared to take a spire but this never came to fruition. Same damage was caused to the eastern end when a V2 bomb dropped nearby during the Second W orId War.

46. All Saints' Church at Allhallows, shown here, was basically Norman in style but has been altered many times during the centuries. In earlier times it had a tower and spire at the west end as can be seen on the maps of Kent provided by Symondson and later by Sellers. The walls at the west end are exceptionally thick and it is thought that the lower courses are Saxon in origin. The clerestory and aisle were added in the 15th century and the porch and bell tower in 1890. The photographer, Mr. Shearman, had only to come out of the Post Office to see this view of the church. The postcard is dated 1925.

47. The Church of St. James' , Isle of Grain is the successor to one built as early as 700 AD. It is mainly 13th century in style and was extensively altered in 1815 when side aisles were removed and the porch was added. The porch was built over the famous door withstood the attacks of the Dutch sailors during the raid on Medway in 1667. The tower was added in 1904/5. The school was built in 1868 as a 'National' School and was replaced in the 1960's. There is a school house between the church and the school.

48. This door is at the west end of the Church of St. James, Isle of Grain, and it is not the door which withstood the attacks of the Dutch sailors during the 1667 raid but is very similar. This picture dates from before 1904 when, in major renovations and alterations the tower was built, to the right hand of the picture. The window above the door has been replaced and the plaster rendering was been removed. The left hand fini al to the drip-stone has, it now appears, been worn away by the elements. The right hand effigy remains, now protected by the tower which comes close up to its shoulder. The girls had probably been attending a festival and were dressed for the occasion.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek