Ingatestone and District in old picture postcards

Ingatestone and District in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   K.F. Langford
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Essex
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3017-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ingatestone and District in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  >  |  >>

69. Mountnessing Church, standing two hundred feet above sea-level. Although approximately in the centre of the parish, it is two miles from the main Colchester Road, where the village now clusters. The church porch has been added since the photograph was taken.

-

70. Mountnessing 'Tin' Church. Because of the distance of his church from the centre of the village, the Reverend Richard Macnamara, vicar, in 1873 erected a small iron church (which held about two hundred people) close to the main road. The pews were taken out about 1970, but it is still in use sometimes as a church and sometimes for secular purposes. The photograph shows a well laid-out garden and rose trees.

71. Mountnessing. Windmill. Awaiting repairs 1938. A noted land mark on the Roman Raad. It is a typical post-mill of the early nineteenth century. Between 1817 and 1937 it was worked by fOUT successive generations of the Agnis family. They alllived in the Mill House shown on the left. A new house re-narned Mill Cottage was built a few yards further away in Thoby Lane. Thanks to the Friends of the Windmill, the mill is now completely restored and in working order.

72. Mountnessing, Thoby Priory. Founded in the twelfth century, it was named after the first prior, Tobias or Toby. Wolsey appropriated it in order to endow colleges. It was then demolished and rebuilt as a private house, incorporating some of the original fabric. There was a serious fire in 1893 and it was again rebuilt. In 1920 it was bought by the Earl of Arran, famous as a newspaper columnist. Some thirty, fourty years later it was inexcusably demolished. Two arches are all that remain of the original priory. The whole site is now covered by a vast scrap-metal yard!

73. Mountnessing, Roman Road. The Albert Cottages on the left have gone, as well as the small protruding roof of the blacksmith's. The Prince of Wales is on the right.

MOUNTNESSING.536.

74. Mountnessing School, boys and girls around 1920. The exterior is virtually unchanged today, except that the hands of the elock, and the roof turrets, have gone.

75. Mountnessing, war memorial. A great day in the life of the village - the service of dedication of the memorial to the fallen of the Great War, 1920. The vicar, the Reverend Henry Cobbing, conducts the service. Ta his left in the choir are Lionel Goodday and Chris Read. The seated figure on the right is Walt er Agnis, mill-owner, who lost two sans in the war. They are the first two nam es on the memorial.

76. Mountnessing, farm workers at the completion of the harvest. Taken at Arnolds Farm at the turn of the century. The men worked three farms Beagrarns, Jordans and Arnolds. Note the gaiters and variety of headgear worn.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek