Ipswich in old picture postcards

Ipswich in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Fincham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Suffolk
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3406-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ipswich in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Westgate Sireet. lpswlch,

9. Westgate Street in the 1920's. This was always one of the principal shopping areas. At the left is the entrance to the Public Hall (see No 133), its site now occupied by shops. lust beyond, l.W. Howard was the town's leading photographie studio. Marks and Speneer's store has replaced the row of shops on the right of this picture.

10. Tavern Street was always the main shopping street in Ipswich. The White Horse Hotel (right) and the buildings beyond it were pushed back for road-widening in the early 1800's. The opposite side remained as it looks here untill929. People still remember how, in the time of the trams, there was not space enough for a carriage or motor car to squeeze between the tramcar and the kerb.

11. The distinctive shape of Frederick Fish and Son's large drapery store is retained, modified, in the present Boots' shop on the corner of St. Lawrence Street. The roller-shutter on the left conceals the International Tea Company's grocery shop, next door to one of the two Ipswich branches of the riyal Maypole Dairy Company.

12. The narrow west end of the Buttermarket, clearly seen here, was opened up by rebuilding almost everything between Dial Lane and Princes Street. The shops on the right of this picture have been given modern windows but their upper storeys are hardly changed. The famous Ancient House, with its seventeenth-century front, was splendidly restored in 1985. It is now a bookshop.

13. Upper Brook Street after widening in 1907. The Fox Inn survived into the 1970's. The narrow shop next door, with projecting oriel window, may have been part of the adjacent Coach and Horses Inn, whose upper parts and dormer windows remain, but whose ground floor, with the fine pedimented doorcase, has gone. The London stage coaches once left from this inn. The stables behind could hold 100 horses.

14. The Ipswich Journal newspaper had offices here, at the corner of Princes Street and Museum Street, from 1866 until 1890. The building was then demolished and replaced by Fraser's furniture store. The building on the right, a temperanee hotel, has become shops and offices but still has the plaque above its third storey where the word HOTEL appeared.

15. The 'town end' of Princes Street improved greatly at the turn of the century: this photograph of about 1905 shows the imposing building occupied by Grimwade Ridley, wholesale druggists, replaced on this site by the black-glass building ofWillis Faber and Dumas. Some of the buildings on the left are not much changed. In the background is Fraser's furniture store. lt was burnt down soon after this photograph was taken (see No. 68) but rebuilt on the same spot.

16. Falcon Street in the closing years of the nineteenth century: a view from the üld Cattle Market end. The clothier and jeweller's shop on the corner of Silent Street was also a pawnbroker, whose characteristic sign of three balls can just be seen. The üld Provision Market, right, was demolished in 1897, at about the time when this photograph was taken.

17. At the turn of the century, the date of this photograph, the shops at the corner of Falcon Street and St. Nicholas Street, were about to be demolished. The group beyond remains, dilapidated, in 1986. So does the further group, where Boyce the plumber's advertisement can be seen. The neat railings and lamps, and the Congregational Chapel whose entrance they guarded, have made way for a car-park.

· ?.......

--

18. The trees and railings in this 1890's view of St. Nicholas Street were replaced shortly afterwards by the villas of Cromwell Street, which in turn came down to create Franciscan Way. William Brown, timber merchants, had their premises behind the gates on the left. The dignified house on the extreme left belonged to a solicitor, Mr. Robert Hill. The buildings on the right, and in the background, have not altered their appearance much.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek