Ipswich in old picture postcards

Ipswich in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Fincham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Suffolk
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3406-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ipswich in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

... -

~-'~. __ .. -

19. A late-nineteenth century view of a group of medieval houses in Silent Street, showing the massive carved corner-post which still stands, at the junction with St. Nicholas Street. The premises continued as a chemist's shop, later known as the Wolsey Pharmacy from its nearness to Cardinal Wolsey's reputed birthplace, across the street. The plaster coat has been removed, and the timber-framing exposed, but this whole group is still easily recognisable.

20. St. Peter's Street, the principal route to the doek and riverside, photographed before 1903 when the introduetion of electric tramways made road-widening necessary. All the buildings on the right were rebuilt and set further back. Those on the left, of the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, are little changed. The Rose, no longer an inn, still has its prominent lamp. Warehouses fill the skyline bebind St. Peter's Church.

· ?.

r--.,' _

-- .-.

:.r-»>

ridge St. & St. Peter's St., Ip5Wich.

21. The Crown Inn and Beckett's confectionery shop dominated the other end of St. Peter's Street, here widened and with tram-rails laid. Gertrude, who sent this card to her friend May, in service at Shrubbery Farm, Otley, on 12th July 1906, wrote: 'Your mother told us that you are collecting postcards. I will send you some views of Ipswich.'

22. A 1908 postcard shows Wolsey's Gate much overgrown with greenery. The gateway, with Henry VIII's royal arms above, is all that remains of the college Cardinal Wolsey was founding in his home town when he feIl from power. The building materials were sent back to London for the king's use. As usual, the photographer attracted a small audience of children, who were useful in giving a scale to his picture.

23. Richard Dykes Alexander, a banker and a leading philanthropist in Victorian Ipswich, lived in this sturdy house at Barrack Corner. So, afterwards, did his nephew William Dillwyn Sims, of the firm of Ransome, Sims and Jeffries; and Sims' widow stilllived there in 1912, the approximate date of this picture. The house survives, squeezed against the four-storey telephone exchange of 1955. Burlington Road and other nearby streets were made from the gardens of the Alexander house.

24. St. Matthew's Street, looking from Barrack Corner, soon after the end of the First World War. The Queen's Head public house on the corner of St. Matthew's Church Lane has been rebuilt, and the lane itselfreplaced by Civic Drive. 'Improvements' ofthe 1960's have involved much demolition in this district, including the shops on the right here: tea-rooms, fancy repository and hosier. Those on the left still stand, though dilapidated, in 1986.

25. St. Matthew's Street, looking from Hyde Park Corner. The big draper's shop on the leftSmith's, Albion House - and the little ones adjoining it (grocer, bootmaker and tobacconist) have given way to Teseo's large store. Of those further on, some parts of the upper storeys are still just recognisable. To make St. Matthew's Street a dual carriage way in the 1960's, the whole of the right hand side was pulled down and the new shops set much further back.

26. The railings are gone, and cars now park on these neat front gardens, but Berners Street today has the urbane look it had in the 1880's when it was relatively new. It leads up to the former East Suffolk Hospital. Several houses were owned by doctors; others by other professional people. The first on the left, with the columned porch, was for many years the residence of Ipswich's Medical Officer of Health, Stanley Hoyland.

27. Hyde Park Corner. Churchman's tobacconist shop was here from 1790 until the firm moved to Iarger premises in Portman Road in 1898, Ieaving onIy the shop. Ipswich's oid West Gate stood here until sold for demolition in 1781, at the approach to Westgate Street (ahead, right). Crown Street (Ieft) is much changed. The Rainbow Tavern, at the left-hand corner, came down in the 1960's road-widening scheme.

28. These ancient cottages, on a raised path in Stoke Street, had seen better days. They disappeared in 1899, when the People's Hall was built on the site. Mid-nineteenth century Ipswich had a high death-rate. There was no drainage or sewerage system, and tew houses had water laid on. Many were built in 'courts' or 'rows', where several houses shared such facilities as therewere.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek