Ipswich in old picture postcards

Ipswich in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Fincham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Suffolk
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3406-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ipswich in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. Museum Street, about 1900. The porch on the right (now removed) and the massive columns, fronted the old Museum, purpose-built in 1847, in this handsome new street designed by the Ipswich architect Christopher Fleury, who lived in it himself. The sign between the two substantial houses says Ipswich Journal, and the newspaper offices were here trom 1890 until publication ceased in 1902. A modern building occupies that site.

30. This posteard was produeed as his trade eard by Harry Walters, photographer. His redbriek house has hardly ehanged, though his signboard has gone. Canes Café, untillately the Running Buek Inn, and onee very popular with farmers, has lost its dormer windows. The group of Tudor buildings on the right, where Soane Street joins St. Margaret's Plain, was onee the Packhorse Inn, housing the servants of guests staying at Christehureh Mansion.

31. The Old Manor House on St. Margaret's Green has lost the railings and romantic creepercladding of this late Victorian photograph. In the un-ivied part, Margaret Catchpole, known for her smuggling associations, worked for the Cobbold family in the 1790's. The premises of Long the accountant beyond, retain their shape but have lost their plaster coat. Until the early nineteenth century, a fair was held on this Green each September: from early Auglo-Saxon times this was the Thingstead, where the 'Hundred' met.

Norwich Road, !pswich

_0"

32. Norwich Road, where it joins Bramford Road (right) still keeps much of what appears in this 1915 view, including the line of shops built out from a terrace of small houses on the left. The prominent gable and chimney-stack of No. 46, beyond them, is unchanged. Much of the group of shops on the right has been replaced by a large garage and showrooms.

33. These cottages at Whitton have gone, probably to make a turning-circle for buses. The group in the distance, altered and extended, may be the Maypoie public house. This road, much straightened and widened, was superseded by a new by-pass in 1985 and is now called the Old Norwich Road.

34. As Ipswich spread further west, All Saints parish was created from parts of Sproughton, Bramford and St. Matthew's: the church was finished in 1887. Chevallier Street (after Dr. Barrington Chevallier, twice Mayor and Medica! Superintendent of the Borough Asylum) has been widened. No. 130 Bramford Road, on the right-hand corner, has come down. Clover's nursery garden on the left has given way to a bank and its cat-park.

35. The sign, 'Tomatoes 4d lb.' at Clover's nursery in the right-hand distance suggests midsummer. This is probably 1910, when there were twice great storms in August, causing floods in this Iow-lying district. Bramford Road Post Office then occupied No. 153, on the left. The name-plaque, Mysore Villas 1895, is still there, but the three houses beyond it came down to improve the Yarmouth Road, in the late 1920's.

36. Until the 1930's, Fore HamIet and its continuation as Bishops Hill, were narrow and closely lined with shops and small houses, lived in by workers at Ransome's nearby Orwell WOTks. Orvis the piumber, and George Cox, butcher, whose sign declares 'Shîpping supplied' 0 occupy the corners of Myrtle Road. Both have gone. So has the terrace of houses, and the White Elm public house, on the left-hand side.

37. After a prolonged snowstorm on Boxing Day, 1906, bringing the deepest snow for twenty years, the tramway service almost came to a standstill. Ten employees, some with shovels, posed for this picture on Felixstowe Road. Truckloads of snow were collected, taken to Stoke Bridge, and dumped in the river. The house at the Salisbury Road corner is still recognisable. A garage occupies the end of this terrace now, but trees at Holywells still fill the middle distance.

38. Singleton the Undertaker's imposing offices at No. 73 dominated the lower end of Woodbridge Road, from their establishment in 1840 to their demolition in the 1970's. 'Hearses (open or closed), Mourning Coaches, Shillibeers and Funeral Broughams' proclaims their advertisement. They were also conveniently close to the cemetery. A block of modem flats, Samuel Court, now fills this site. The right-hand group of shops and houses is little changed.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek