Ipswich in old picture postcards

Ipswich in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Fincham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Suffolk
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3406-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ipswich in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. The Albion Mills public house at the top ofWoodbridge Road hill was demolished, 1995. An 1885 Directory names a miller, not a publican, living there. A garage has swallowed part of the terrace of houses beyond. The Case is Altered Inn, 1913 'Tudor Revival' by IS. Corder, fills the extreme right of the picture.

40. The Ipswich and Suffolk Freehold Land Society, formed in 1849 to help working-class people acquire their own houses, bought part ofthe Cauldwell Hall estate. This block, with the name-plaque Freehold Terrace 1877, was one of its earliest developments. This 1913 photograph may have been another trade card. It was sent by the owner of the little draper's shop at No. 190 Cauldwell Hall Road, now once again a private house.

Ki~by Street, lpswit.h.

41. The most remarkable thing about this posteard is the date on whieh it was written: 4th August 1914. That day, Britain declared war on Germany, but the sender was not eoneerned with European polities. 'I have got that plaee at last, at Felixstowe,' she wrote. 'Now say I don't want to work!' Kirby Street is little changed, although the trees on the left have given way to modern houses.

42. The tramline track between Major's Corner and St. Helen's Church, on the right of this 1907 postcard, was not made double until after the First World War. If two tramears had to pass each other, they could only do so on a loop of rail in the road at this point. The projecting signboard just beyond the church railings advertises the wares of Goffin the grocer.

43. Tuddenham Road, with milk being delivered to No. 51 by Horace Lloyd, dairyman, whose cart proclaims proudly: 'Jersey Cows Kept for Infants and Invalids.' His dairy is the house on the right of the road. The open ground there, between the road and the Old Cemetery, is now built over with modern houses.

??

?

44. A bridge here, at Stoke, was washed away by floods in 1818. William Cubitt, chief engineer in the firm of Ransomes, designed this graceful replacement. The tramcar seems to have strayed into a scene of 1818. Cubitt's bridge lasted more than a century: supplanted in 1924 by a distinctive white, arched structure. In the 1980's that was in turn rebuilt and enlarged to improve the enormous traffic flow here.

Z7 P. - ./1!SWlC1i. CUSTO

-' -~-

- --

45. Disfigured here byevergreens, Ipswich's finest Victorian building, the Custom House, cost f4,250 in 1845. The opening firework display was remembered for many years, particulady by the workhouse orphans, invited by Mayor RodweIl to watch from the quayside. They carried a banner: 'Though Poor, Happy and Grateful.' Zeppelin bombs blewout the doek face in 1916. The building, lately cleaned, has recovered its earliest distinction.

?

46. To make the Wet Doek, in 1842, the river was dammed below Stoke Bridge and replaced by this channel, the New Cut. The originallock soon proved too small and another was built, but the bricked-up entrance and wing walls (right) survive. Pleasure steamers like this, the Orwell, sailed regularly to Harwich and Felixstowe from the New Cut landing-stage. The distant buildings are Mason's oil mill at St. Peter's Doek.

47. The new loek, a decade after its completion in 1881. The swing bridge is not yet in place but the pit for it (on the left) is ready. The barge, the Ethel Edith, may have belonged to Edward Packard, whose fertiliser works, along with Ransome's Orwell Works, were in Duke Street. The Ipswich Gas Light Company built their gasworks here in 1822, convenient for importing coal before the railway age.

48. When the Wet Doek was built in the 1840's, the bank of the New Cut was laid out as a public Promenade. A long avenue oflime and pine trees led to the 'Umbrella', a shelter with seats, at the end, from which there was a fine view of the river. Although it was temporarily restored in 1922, the Promenade's amenity-value has been sacrificed to crude commercial interests.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek