Ipswich in old picture postcards

Ipswich in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Fincham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Suffolk
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3406-4
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ipswich in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

59. The terrace of tall mid-nineteenth century houses is still there, in Fonnereau Road (once called Dairy Lane), but this 1911 photograph shows the baker's shop and tearoom which has quite vanished. The hand-cart, and the trade bicycle with its baskets, were used to deliver bread and cakes throughout the district. A poster to the left ofthe shop door advertises Poole's cinema in Tower Street, opened in March 1909.

60. The row of neat turn-of-the-century villas making up Cromwell Street, with Leverett's shoe shop on the St. Nicholas Street corner, has been replaced by Franciscan Way, itself now redundant and likely to be paved over as a town square. On the left are the Wolsey Auction Rooms. At the extreme left, just visible, is the Hippodrome Theatre which opened in 1905, a few months before Daisy sent this postcard to her friend, Gertie.

61. An advertisement postcard, sent to a Woodbridge customer in May 1906, announcing the removal of Miss Cullwick's business from the Butter Market to No. 14 Queen Street. Nothing now remains of this row of shops: Queen Street has been much widened. The shop on the left belonged to Samuel Warmisham, who made weighing machines. Beyond it, with the large pendant lamp, is the doorway of Davis' china and glassware shop, which remained there until the 1970's.

G. A. HACON

The West End Fruit, Vegetable

? and

Floral Martt

43, Norwich Road,

IPSWICH.

62. The big hanging lamps, prominent name-board, painted gable-end and glazed extension at the rear have all gone from this shop on Norwich Raad. This 1905 postcard was also produced as an advertisement. The proud owner can just be seen, standing in the doorway on the left. The shop still has its unusually modem curved glass window on the Granville Street corner.

63. Alfred Francis Sawer moved here from his much less ambitious shop on the other side of Norwich Road, seen in picture No. 62. This shop still keeps its easily recognisable shape, although Messrs. Coes, who now own it, have added a tall extension at the back, and plate glass windows replace the ones here. The card was sent to a customer as a receipt, signed with the initials A.F.S.

64. 'We thought you would like our other shop', says the message on this 1909 card, sent by the owners to friends at Saxmundham. It was in Fore Street, and the photograph records a special display, advertising a new series, The World s Great Books. A fly-sheet behind the man on the right carries news about the Lusitania, the ocean liner sunk six years later by the Germans, in the First World War.

65. The Maypole Dairy Company had a branch in St. Matthew's Street, as weIl as this one in Tavern Street, photographed in about 1910 by Harry Walters (see No. 30). The boy on the right, Bert, marked himself with a cross before sending the postcard to a young lady. In the right-hand window, tea costs Y4d per pound. The left-hand window-display offers two pounds of margarine for a shilling.

66. An 1885 Directory named Mrs. Sarah Smith, stationer, as the owner of a small shop in the Buttermarket. Within a few years it expanded, changing its name to Smiths Suitall. The shop's display at the 1908 trade exhibition suggests a continuing preoccupation with stationery, but contemporary advertisements offer a wide range of goods. The list includes Sheffield cutlery, cutting-out scissors, baskets, grasses, stove ornaments and Gladstone bags.

67. Long after horse-drawn passenger transport had been superseded by motor vehicles, horses were still widely used for delivering goods, especially heavy or bulky items. This is one of the Ipswich Co-operative Society's coal carts, probably in the 1920's. The horse's smart turn-out, including a string of horse-brasses, suggests that the photograph was taken on some kind of festive occasion.

68. When R.D. and J.B. Fraser's furniture emporium, in Princes Street, burned to the ground on 6th April 1912, people questioned whether the town's fire-fighting services, still with horsedrawn engines, were adequate. The fire had seemed to be extinguished, but flared up again later that night. Rolls of linoleum in the furnishing department burned and exploded, spreading the blaze to other shops in that area.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek