Johnstone in old picture postcards

Johnstone in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5332-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Johnstone in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Quarrelton Road. A sense of spaciousness is evident in this view. An interesting contrast is also seen between the older houses on the right and the more modern ones on the left. The lamp-post on the right has been removed. The house on the extreme right has been demolished, but the other house, named 'Skiffview', is still in position. Polsen Drive is on the left of this view, while on the right is the entrance to Buchanan Street.

~wn e!ltl cers ani Gollier Street, Jofmsfone

10. Collier Street. The building second from the left was formerly the police station, but is now occupied by Renfrew District Council's housing office for Johnstone and the surrounding area. In 1907 the Town Council agreed to convert the upper part of this property into accommodation for single polieemen. In June of that year five policemen moved into the renovated premises which consisted of a kitchen and two bedrooms. A serious fire broke out in early August 1896 at the Old Johnstone Mill in Collier Street. These were the premises of William Paton, boot and shoe manufacturer. All of the machinery in the older part of the building was cornpletely destroyed. The cost of the damage amounted to weil over fl5,OOO. Nearly four hundred workers became unemployed because of the fire. A very large crowd gathered to watch this conflagration. The Provost of Johnstone, George Thomson, was present, as were town councillors and the town clerk. This street originally contained colliers' rows.

Ellecslie Street, Johnstone.

11. Ellerslie Street. The weil-built tenements in Ellerslie Street can be seen in this view. The street appears to be deserted, but a solitary figure is just visible standing in the middle close at the bottom of the picture. There is a possibility that this photograph was taken very early in the morning, hence the absence of people. The total absence of traffic is also noticeable. On the left, the shop displays a number of advertisements for 'Fry's Chocolate' . Only the tenements on the left now remain in their original position as those in the centre and right ofthis view have been demolished. New flats have been built on the same site. The shop on the left is now 'Aldo's Groceries and Take-Away Snacks'.

12. Beith Raad. Andrew Graham, the bus-hirer, stands outside his house at 14 Beith Road with his wife and daughter. This property has been demolished. The foliage above and surrounding the entrance is quite remarkable and adds a touch of individuality to the property.

13. Beith Raad. All of the buildings on the left have been demolished. This area is now an open space which is used by a motor business in WiJliamson Place. On the opposite side of Beith Road the property on the extreme right has also been demolished and has been replaced by new housing. Further changes have taken place with the removal of the tramlines in the centre of the road, and also of the telegraph poles. Mr. Shearer's grocery shop was located in the premises on the left of this view.

GRAHA~1 T EET jOH);STOXE

14. Graham Street. Horse-drawn traffic is seen in this view. All of the two-storeyed housing on the right has been demolished. The tramline can be seen in the centre of the cobblestone streel. In the 1830s the Misses Carmichael had a mil!inery and dressmaking business at 3 Graham Street, while Miss McReady was a milliner and leghorn strawhatmaker at number 2. In 1846 Allan Bowie is described as having an 'eating-house' at 6 Graham Streel. At the same period Hugh McDonald operated as a wheelwright and turner at 133 Graham Streel. In the mid-1840s, William McNaught, manager of George Houstoun and Company's mil! in McDowall Street had a house in Graham Streel. The number 2 grocery of the Johnstone Co-operative Society commenced business at 13 Graham Street in 1881, while their dairy was formerly located at number 7 in the same streel.

15. Mill Brae. This is a view from High Street with McDowall Street on the left. The buildings on the right as far as the gable-end of the three-storeyed tenement have been demolished. The factory chimney which is visible above the trees is the location of the premises of William Paton Ltd. It was in about 1840 when William Paton built a factory at Broombrae, Johnstone, where he began the manufacture of leather laces, cotton and silk laces, twine, twine netting and fishing nets. He remained in these premises for more than twenty years when as a result of the increased de mand for his goods, he purchased the Johnstone Cotton Mills in Clark Streel. When William Paton died in 1880, he left the business to his three sans, Robert, George and James Paton. In 1896 the firm's premises in Clark Street were destroyed by fire. However, a few days after the fire, a cotton miJl on the Black Cart which was owned by Brown, Malloch and Company was purchased. Normal production was soon resumed.

16. Campbell Streel. A well-dressed gentleman walks along this street while a horse-drawn vehicle can be discerned approaching the railway bridge. In 1824 William Shanks, the founder of the firm of heavy machine tooi makers, ca me to live in Johnstone and with a partner named Campbell became the owner of a cotton mil! in th is street. This firm operated both as engineers and cotton spinners. At a later period William Shanks discontinued cotton spinning and concentrated his energies on the manufacture of cotton spinning machinery which he supplied to mills in Renfrewshire and neighbouring countries. John McGregor and Company, calico, woollen and silk printers, were formerly based in the Bank Top Mill in Campbell Street. The same site was previously oecupied by Shanks' engineering premises. During the Second World War an Air Raid Precautions control centre was built in this street. It later became avenue for old age pensioners. The taller houses on the left have been demolished.

17. Pawnbroker. The distinctive three balls signify the pre mises of the pawnbroker. The three people here are standing at the entrance to the business of Gavin H. Robertson which was located at 13 McDowall Streel. Mrs. David Robertson also had a pawnbroking business at 19 High Streel. Her residence in the town was 'Duncraggan' in Overton Road. These pawnbrokers would have been used by the people of Johnstone when they required ready cash on artides such as dothes or jewellery, which they had decided to pawn. Such a situation would especially have occurred during times of unemployment, when great hardship was experieneed due to the absence of a regular wage.

0261

HIGH STREET, JOHNSTONE.

18. High Street. A horse and cart proceeds along High Street in the early years of this century. Before the advent of motor transport, horses were used extensively. In the 1920s horse-shoeing was done by blacksmiths such as Alexander B. Mackie, who had premises in Rankine Street, and William McMillan in Walkinshaw Street. At the same period further provision for horse-drawn transport was evident in the business of Robert Graham, who was a cartwright and coachbuilder in Church Street. John Thomson, who was a carriage-hirer and funeral undertaker, had livery sta bles in the same street.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek