Johnstone in old picture postcards

Johnstone in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5332-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Johnstone in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. High Street. This postcard shows High Street in the early years of this century. It is interesting to notice that both adults and children are standing in the streel. Some of the boys in this view are barefooted. Families forrnerly endured poor housing conditions in High Streel. At 3 High Street before the First World War the toilets and wash-house were situated in the back yard. A family of nine persons lived in a single-end at this address at that time.

QII . '1 .1 J!I(,iI :--rl,Ll "J

20. High Streef. Two horses and waggons are the only traffic in this view of High Street in the 1900s. This scene appears calm and peaceful, but accidents with horses did sometimes occur. One such accident occurred in September 1881, when Sir Robert Napier of Milliken's brougham (four-wheeied closed carriage), was proceeding down High Street, drawn by two horses, when the animals became unmanageable as a result of the noise of passing traffic and a man playing the bagpipes! The horses rushed on to Houston Square where they turned and proceeded at a headlong pace right against the wall of the Free Church in William Street. The railing there was bent into a semi-eirele and the coachman was thrown to the ground. The horses then bolted down Rankine Street with the brougham being smashed into pieces in the process. The horses were finally brought to a halt at the Lilybank Mills, The coachman was injured as a result of his fall, but the horses only sustained a few slight cuts. Fortunately, there were no other people in the carriage during this alarming incident.

21. High Street. A group of boys stand in High Street in this view from the earlier years of this century. Some of them are wearing Eton collars, which were fashionable at that time. The building on the right was formerly the premises of the Union Bank of Scotland. The three storeys of these premises are now used as office accommodation. The tram further up the street now has a closed top deck in contrast to the open-topped trams from an earlier period. Some of the former buildings in Houston Square can be seen on the left of thisview.

High Streef [rom Soeih, [ohnsione

~.

22. High Street trom the South. A group of children from the nearby Thorn School wait for the open-topped tram of Paisley District Tramways. High Street can be seen in the distance. There is a man, who can just be seen, standing beside a cart on the right of the picture ne ar the tall pole which carried the power-lines for the trams. The twin lamps on the pole are well-designed and are in keeping with the fine frontages of the tenements in Ellerslie Street and Thorn Brae. The canal basin of the projected Glasgow to Ardrossan Canal was situated at the foot of Thorn Brae on the left side of the road going towards the town centre of Johnstone. Buildings were later constructed on this site. This canal was planned by Hugh, 12th Earl of Eglinton. Permission to build the canal was granted as a result of an Act of Parliament in 1805. The first section of the canal was completed and opened in 1810. However, Johnstone remained the terminus of this canal, as no further building work on the remainder of its projected route ever took place.

23. Thorn Brae. Two commercial vehicles are seen in motion on the cobblestones of Thorn Brae where the tramlines are c1early visible. Ellerslie Street is on the right of this scene. The boy on the extreme right is standing beside the barrow of a type which was formerly used to deliver groceries.

24. Rankine Street. The premises of the Johnstone Constitutional Club were formerly located in the imposing building on the left of this tartan-edged postcard. In 1924 the main office-bearers of the Johnstone Constitutional Club were as folIows: president, William Speirs; secretary and treasurer, Andrew Walker. The Johnstone Unionist Association also met at the same address. Robert Goudie was president of this body in 1924 and the secretary was John J. Todd. The firm of Robert Love and Son Ltd., plumbers, ironmongers and electrical engineers, we re formerly based at 10-12 Rankine Street. This street was named in memory of Jean Rankine , who was the mother of George Houstoun, fourth Laird of Johnstone.

25. Houston Square and High Street. A varied group are seen in this view from the beginning of the century. From today's perspective it is interesting to notice how both adults and children are standing in the High Street, The style of drcss of the thrce little girls at the front is in marked contrast to that of the women on the left of the picture. Thorn Brae can be seen in thc distance and two trams can also be faintly diseerried. On the left there is a prominent sign for a hairdresser, with the addition ofthe traditional barber's pole. The building behind the bandstand is the former Free Church in William Streel.

26. Houston Square. The open-topped tram in this scene is about to dep art on its journey to Paisley Cross. There is an interesting contrast in architectural styles between the public house on the left and the more imposing commercial buildings. The fountain on the right surmounted by a lamp is an interesting feature here. One of the greatest improvements in Johnstone in the latter half of the nineteenth century was the introduetion of a municipal water supply. After a prolonged drought in 1861, John Weems, a local engineer, suggested plans for supplying water from a reservoir at Overton. However, these were not put into force because of the more arnbitious proposals of the Paisley Water Commissioners who, at the same period, had obtained permission to develop a water supply for Paisley. As a result of an arrangement with Paisley, Johnstone was included in the plan. The Johnstone Water Works were opened on 26 March 1869. Prior to this date, there were only two public we lis in the town, one ofwhich was of ten empty, while the other was badly affected by the water from nearby sewers.

27. Houston Square. The bandstand dominates this view of Houston Square. It was erected in 1891 and was the gift of the last Laird of Johnstone, George Ludovic Houstoun. The bandstand was designed by James B. Lamb. The opening ceremony took place on 3 October 1891 at which Provost Stewart Armour officiated. The Rev. William Macloy, the minister of the High Parish Church, opened with prayer. Music was provided by the Johnstone Brass Band under the leadership of Mr. D. Cameron. After the ceremony a cake and wine banquet was held in the Council Chambers for eighty guests. In May 1892 two lamp-posts were erected at the bandstand. In the same year Mr. Houstoun informed Provost Armour that he would provide musie-stands for the use of the players. It can be seen in this view that the War Memorial has not yet been erected. An annual fair was formerly held in the town during the month of July. This was originally a cattie fair, but in later years, it was more concerned with sport and general amusement.

HOUSTON SQUARE. JOHNSTONE

A favourite little trip with Pais1ey folie is to J obnstone,

ride tbrough Elderslie, witb irs beautiful Newton wood.

28. Houston Square. This is a view of Houston Square in 1908. The bandstand has been a focal point of Johnstone since its erection in 1891. On the right of this view is Trinity United Free Church which has been demolished. A similar fate befel! the public house on the left. The ornate lamp-posts are no longer in position, while the wrought-iron seats have been moved 10 different locations in the square. The caption on this card is an advertisement for the Paisley District Tramways Company. The obverse of this postcard gives details of the oompany's routes.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek