Johnstone in old picture postcards

Johnstone in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5332-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Johnstone in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

e.-":'custc. รจ:>quare, v0tinst"ne

29. Houston Square. A tram of Paisley District Tramways waits at the terminus in High Street before commencing its joumey to Renfrew Ferry. Prior to the introduetion of the electric trams in the early years of this century, there were horse-drawn buses which operated between Johnstone and Paisley. The plans for a tramway system were first proposed in 1882 when in November of that year a special conference took place in Johnstone between a London company and the Town Council regarding a tramline from Ibrox to Paisley and on to Johnstone. The intended terminus was to be the Black Bull Inn and the trams were to be driven by steam. Notices were displayed in Paisley and Johnstone announcing that application was to be made to the Board of Trade for a provisional order to authorise the construction of a system of street tramways in the parish of Govan and in the Abbey and Paisley parishes. Also in that year, a group of engineers surveyed the proposed tramway route in order to prepare plans for the intended project.

HOUSTON SOUA~L JOHNSTONE.

30. Houston Square. After the First World War Houston Square was laid out with flower beds and grass plots which can be seen in this view. The War Memorial can be seen at the north end of the square. The extensive premises of the Johnstone Co-operative Society are situated behind the War Memorial and also beside the Pavilion Cinema. It was George H. Kemp who built the Pavilion Theatre in 1909. He also held moving picture shows under canvas in Houston Square shortly before the outbreak of the First World War. In 1915 he began to show films in the Pavilion Theatre, which became the first cinema in Johnstone. A solitary car is visible on the west side of the square, while the foreground in High Street is surprisingly devoid of traffic.

HOUSTON SoUARE. LOOKING EAST. JOHNSTONE

31. Houston Square. The trams are no longer in evidence in th is scene from the mid-1930s. The task of removing the tramlines began in August 1934. It can be seen th at double-decker and single-deoker buses have taken the place of the trams. As early as 1926 a large number of buses were causing congestion in the streets round Houston Square. However, th is matter was satisfactorily resolved when regulations were enforced limiting the number of buses which we re permitted to wait at any one time in these locations. In this view the level of traffic is very light in comparison to the present day and only a few cars are visible.

32. Ludovic Square. The building on the immediate left of the High Parish Church was the former Johnstone High School, which was erected in 1896, but was destroyed by fire in 1960. A previous school was located on this site, but it was demolished in order that the new building could be erected. The West of Scotland Athletic Games were held here in 1870, when it was estimated that 5,000 spectators attended. One of the events at these games was a veloeipede race (a veloeipede was an early type of bicycle). After the First World War flower beds and grass plots were laid out in Ludovic Square. This square was named after the eider son of George Houstoun, fourth Laird of Johnstone.

cJown JfaU and Budooio Square, Jofmsfone

33. Town Hall. The foundation stone of the Town Hall was laid on 14 September 1867 by Colonel Campbell of Blythswood. He was the Right Worshipful Grand Master of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Freemasons for East Renfrewshire. On th at day a large procession proceeded to the site of the Town Hall, More than half the cost of the Town Hall was obtained by donations and subscriptions from all members of the community. The amount collected in this way was almost n,669. Among the main donors were George L. Houstoun, Messrs. Finlayson, Bousfield and Co., Captain Loudon, Mr. C.H. Bousfield, Messrs. Brown, Malloch and Co., Mr. Thomas Coats, Sir Michael Shaw-Stewart and Mr. Andrew Coats. The architect of the Town Hall was James J. Lamb of Paisley. Six hundred persons could be accommodated in the public hall. A games room, library and reading room were also located in the Town Hall. This building has been demolished.

TOWN HALL IOHN.sTON~

34. Town Hall and Fountain. The fountain in front of the Town Hall was erected in October, 1886 by Messrs. William Jeffrey and Sons, who had been commissioned by the agents of the anonymous donor. This fountain was built entirely of Aberdeen granite. The following inscription was made on one of the granite slabs of the fountain: 'To the people of Johnstone, the gift of Tempus Actum, 1886.' An inauguration ceremony for the fountain took place at the beginning of November 1886. The fountain was formally handed over by Mr. William Borland from Glasgow, who was the agent of the donor. At the conclusion of formalities Provost John Love turned on the water and drank 'success to the fountain' amidst much applause. Then Bailie Guy proposed a vote of thanks to the Paisiey Water Commissioners for supplying the water for the fountain free of charge. After the ceremony there was a cake and wine banquet for invited guests in the Lesser Town Hall. This fountain now occupies a central position in Ludovic Square.

35. The Town School. The Town School was situated in Ludovic Square beside the High Parish Church. It was demolished in order that Johnstone Higher Grade Public School (later Johnstone High School) could be built on the same site. The Town School was managed by a committee of the Abbey Parish School Board. In 1883 it was recorded that 250 children were attending this school. This figure seems to be very large when the size of the building is considered. However, it is important to remember that class sizes in the 1880s were much larger than they are today.

THORN SC,",OOL.

JO:1NSTon'c

36. Thorn Public School. This school has been demolished and the new houses of Thornhill Gardens now occupy this site. Those who lived in the Thorn area were considered to be the better-off members of the working class. However, even in this area in the 1920s, housing conditions were unsatisfactory and some children were brought up in single-ends without the advantages of running water or gas. Needy children were issued with cards at school giving them permission to eat at one of the soup kitchens in Johnstone. In some cases pupils were granted exemption from further attendance at school in order to start work before they reached the officialleaving age which had been raised to 14 in 1901. This situation occurred especially when such pupils came from large families where an extra wage would be of benefit .

Floors Street School, [ohustone

~~~C<- ~affT ~ ~

37. Floors Street School. This school was also known as the Public School. It was built as a result of the Education (Scotland) Act of 1872, which made education compulsory for those aged from 5 to 13 years of age. This structure, with its distinctive spire, was considered to be one of the best buildings in the town. It was known as Floors Street School because it faced the street of the same name. The building of the school cost ;(9,000 with the classrooms designed to accommodate between 70 and 80 pupils. The school was used until the 1930s when it was demolished. There were schools in Johnstone before 1872. One such school was run by John Fraser at premises in George Street. He had innovative ideas regarding education, but later went to Edinburgh, where he was editor of the 'New Scotsman'. There were also the 'Ragged School', the Free Mission School and the Roman Catholic School. In 1872 it was discovered that a total of 1,400 children would be required to attend school in the town as a result of the Education Act ofthat year.

38. Milliken Park Station. A locomotive of the Glasgow and South Western Railway is seen arriving at Milliken Park Station in the early years of this century. This station was opened in 1846, but at that time it was known as Cochrane Mil! Station. The sign for the Glasgow and South Western Railway can be seen clearly on the right of this view. This railway company was formed in 1850, and continued to operate unti11923, when it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. A further change of ownership took place in 1948 when all of the railways in the United Kingdom were nationalised and the system became known as British Railways. The station buildings shown here have been demolished.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek