Johnstone in old picture postcards

Johnstone in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5332-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Johnstone in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

joux: TO:f O'ERTO\·.

ROAD. ~,b

39. Overton Raad. Housing development has taken place on the fields in the foreground. The sign for Johnstone Station is clearly visible. The Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway was opened on 12 August 1840. Johnstone was one of the train-halts on that line. The original buildings of the first station only consisted of a wooden shed, and there was na overhead bridge which connected the platforms. Before the opening date of the railway line it was announced to intending passengers that smoking was to be prohibited in the trains and at the stations. It was also announced that gratuities were not to be paid to the staff of the railway company. Regarding the fare structure, children under six would be able to travel free, with those under twelve paying half-rare. In 1842 the first class fare for the journey from Johnstone to Glasgow was five pence with a second class fare of two-and-a-half pence and third class under two pence.

..rOHNSTONE CASTLE.

40. Johnstone Castte. This building has been demolished with the exception that the central square tower has been retained. It was George Houstoun, the fourth Laird of Johnstone, who altered the former mansion-house in 1771 and 1812, changing it to a castellated design. In 1884 Johnstone CastIe was described by David Paton in the following terms: 'Johnstone CastIe, an elegant structure, is situated about a mile to the sou th of the town, and is surrounded by thickly wooded extensive and lovely grounds.' Fêtes were formerly held in these grounds, which were also used to house a prisoner-of-war camp during the Second World War. A famous visitor at Johnstone Castle was the Polish composer, Frédéric Chopin, who was a guest of Ludovic Houstoun, the fifth Laird, in September 1848.

41. Johnstone Castte. In this view Johnstone CastIe is seen from the rear, surrounded by trees and parkland. lts rural situation in former times is brought into focus by an incident in May 1896 when fire broke out in the castIe grounds near the gamekeeper's new house. Before the fire could be extinguishcd, it had spread over about a quarter acre of land, destroying much of the shrubbery and young trees. ft was thought that the fire was caused by tramps who had thrown down lighted matches. Sixty years later, in 1956, Johnstone Town Council purchased the castle and grounds. The pleasant scene shown here is in rnarked contrast to the rernnants of the castle which are to be found in Tower Place arnidst the council houses, which were built in the 19S0s.

c· rt, cJ hnsîcne

42. Bowling Green and Tennis Courts. The bowling green and tennis courts were formally declared open at a ceremony on 25 August 1892, which was presided over by Provost Stewart Armour. He was presented with gold-mounted bowls which he threw to open the green. A banquet was held after the ceremony. The turf for the bowling green was obtained free of charge from Gleniffer Braes, which was then under the ownership of Captain Speirs. A large number of people had already joined the bowling club by the time of the opening date, and it was expected that the membership would soon reach over one hundred. During the afternoon of 25 August 1892 there was a match on the tennis courts between members of the Johnstone Club and the Queen's Park Tennis Club, Glasgow. The only winning players from Johnstone were W.B. Lang and J.S. McPhail, who beat Messrs. Robb and Boyd. At the opening ceremony the tennis courts were decorated with plants.

43. Johnstone Prize Si/ver Band. The Johnstone Instrumental Brass Band was formed in 1834. It later became known as the Johnstone Prize Silver Band. This band formerly played at the New Year celebrations which were held in Houston Square in the years between the end of the First World War and the beginning of the Second World War. This band has won many prizes and some of its members became well-known brass band players.

THE PUBLIC PARK. JOHNSTONE.

44. Public Park. This is a view of the Thomas Shanks Public Park. The following words are inscribed on the granite fountain which is seen here: 'This fountain and park were gifted to the town of Johnstone in 1908 by Mrs. John Polson, in memory of her father Thomas Shanks who was the first Provost of Johnstone.' This park was officially opened on 19 September 1908 when a large crowd was present. Provost John Lang chaired the proceedings from a platform, which had been erected in the centre of the park, where many civic dignitaries and prominent local individuals were also present to view the ceremony. In a speech Provost Lang said that a long felt want had been supplied in the provision of the new park and pointed out that Mrs. Polson had not only gifted the park, but also provided the necessary finance to put it in proper order. Mrs. Polson was later presented with a solid silver rose bowl by Provost Lang as a souvenir of the day's ceremony and as a token of appreciation for her great generosity to the people of Johnstone.

45. Yachting Pond. A group of young children are seen here enjoying a paddle in the pond within the Thomas Shanks Memorial Park in the early 1930s. On other occasions the pond would have been used for sailing model yachts. The attractive gardens of the park can be seen in the background. It would seem that the boy who is standing on the extreme left has no desire to get his feet wet! This pond has been filled in and is now in use as a children's playpark.

46. Quarre/ton. The lands which were formerly known as Easter Cochran included Quarrelton. These lands were owned by the Cochran family for many centuries and were acquired by the Houstouns in 1733. At the same time the Houstouns sold their estate on the Jeft bank of the Black Cart. One condition of the sale was that the name of Johnstone should be transferred across the river and given to their newly acquired estate, with the name of Easter Cochran being discontinued. During the first half of the nineteenth century there were four coalfields in the Johnstone district: Quarrelton, Auchenlodmont, Elderslie and Craigenfeoch. The Quarrelton coalfield was the most important and comprised a number of pits. In the late 1830s the then village of Quarrelton was described in the Second Statistical Account as being almost entirely populated by colliers, although there were some weavers. George Houstoun, the Laird of Johnstone, had undertaken development of the coal-mines of Quarrelton and Auchingreoch by about 1780.

47. High Parish Church. The building of this church commeneed in 1792 and it was opened for public worship in 1794 when there were 846 persons on the communion roll. The impetus for the establishment of this church came from Dr. Boag, then senior minister of Paisley Abbey. It was originally a chapel of ease, meaning that it was subordinate to the parish church which in this case was Paisley Abbey. This church became a parish church in 1834 when it was permitted to have a kirk session and the minister was entitled to be a member of the Presbytery of Paisley. In 1862 the church became a 'quoad sacra' parish of Paisley Abbey. The function of such a parish was purely ecclesiastica! with no responsibilities for education or poor relief. For generations this church was known as the 'Big Kirk'. lts octagonal design is of architectural interest, as is the elegant spire which was erected in 1823. Interna! reconstruction of the church and vestry was carried out in 1875 by David Thomson.

48. The High Parish Church. The high quality of craftsmanship is evident in this interior view. The pulpit dominates this scene while the wood panelling behind it and the stained-glass windows considerally enhance the appearance of the church. The plaque on the left records that George Ludovic Houstoun, Laird of Johnstone, was an eider in this church from 1895 to 1934. On the right there is a plaque which commemorates those who died in war.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek