Johnstone in old picture postcards

Johnstone in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5332-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Johnstone in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

The Mans«, [ohnstone.

IICU ?? L& § .. lII:le ??

49. The Manse. The manse of the High Parish Church is stilllocated at this substantial property in North Road. The ministers of this church from the 1840s until the late 1920s were as folIows: Rev. John Reid, 1841-1845; Rev. Hugh Park, 1846-1848; Rev. John Mein Austin, 1849-1852; Rcv. William Gaff, 1852-1872; Rev. John Ferguson, 1873-1876; Rev. George Carruthers, 1877-1888; Rev. William Macloy, 1889-1909; Rev. John Rolland MeNab, 1908-1918; Rev. John Lennox Howat, 1919-1928. The Rev. John Reid had five sons, one of wh om was Sir George Houstoun Reid, Prime Minister of New South Wales 1904-1905. The Rev. William Macloy was the author of 'Bible Wine' and 'Infant Baptism'. He was also a former editor ofthe 'Christian Banner'.

50. Parish Church Hall. This building, which was erected to the west of the Parish Church, was formally opened on 13 May 1902. At 8 p.m. on the same day the congregation met in the church. At this meeting the Reverend William Macloy, parish minister, stated that as a congregation they were indebted to the members of the Wornan's Guild whose members had played a great part in the plan to erect the church hall. Mr. Semple, Convener ofthe Halls Committee, gave a short report on the progress of work of the new building at the same occasion. The accommodation in this building was originally designed with a large classroom for 80 people, a woman's guild-room for about 60, a young men's guild-room to hold about 100 persons and a hall with space for 450. There was also a caretaker's house. A report in the 'Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette' of April1901 stated that the plans of the proposed hall had been approved by the Laird ofJohnstone.

J i ify

.cr, C1/z::rc/z atid wi:lam Stre t, Je/ms!cne

51. Trinity United Free Church. A crowd of children gather outside the former Trinity United Free Church in William Street on the south side of Houston Square. This church was originally a Free Church, and was built in 1844 as a result of the Disruption. At the beginning of February 1914 some building extensions to the church were opened. These consisted of a session house, vestry, kitehen, a hall with accommodation for 400 people, and several classrooms. These premises were erected at a cost of fl,8Oü and the architect was Richard Henderson of 121 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow. This congregation later re-joined the Church of Scotland as a result of the Union of the Churches in 1929, and became known as lohnstone Trinity. A further change occurred in 1952 when it united with St. Andrew's Church becoming known as St. Andrew's Trinity. After this union on 26 lune 1952 the former Trinity Church continued to be used by the congregation, and St. Andrew's Church was sold. In addition, both manses were sold and a new one was purchased.

West U.F. Chur,h, [ohnstone

j

ii

52. West United Free Church. This is a model of the West United Free Church which formerly stood in Church Street. This church was built to replace the old 'Burgher' kirk which was the first church in Johnstone in 1791. Special opening services were held in the church on 17 April 1905. The construction of the building took over a year and cost about ;(4,500. Messrs. Kerr and Watson were the architects. A social meeting was held in the new church on the evening of 19 April when the minister, Mr. Westwood, acted as chairman. Mr. Westwood was presented with a new pulpit robe by Mr. Joseph WaJlace on behalf of the ladies of the congregation. After the Union of the Church of Scotland with the United Free Church in 1929, this church became known as the West Parish Church. It united with the East Parish Church in 1965 under the name of Johnstone St. Paul's. St. Pau1's Church was demolished in 1989 because of serious structural problems. A new St. Paul's Church has been built in Quarrelton Road.

53. St. John's Church. This church was built in 1873 in Floors Street for those who were members of the Episcopal Church of Scotland. The church was enlarged in 1879 and was then able to accommodate 400 people. An organ was installed in 1833. The first incumbent of this church was the Reverend William McDermott. In 1884 David Paton in his 'Sketches In and Around Johnstone' described the church as 'this neat Iittle building'. It can be seen that the adjacent buildings are of a high architectural standard, while the grounds are well-kept with a neatly-trimmed hedge visible in front of the row of trees.

St jffargaref' s Ch ap e], Jol7nsfone.

54. St. Margaret's Chapel. This chapel in Graham Street was built in 1852 and dedicated in 1853. Mass for Roman Catholics in Johnstone was said at least one year before St. Margaret's was built, the service being held in a hay-loft in McDowall Street. The original chapel was a large plain structure which was designed to accommodate at least 400 people. This chapel was enlarged in 1875 when extensive additions were made and its appearance was greatly enhanced. The Catholic Directory of that year described it as 'a handsome Gothic Church with nave and two transepts', W.R. and S. Ingram were the architects who designed the transept additions in 1875. The stonework of these transepts is of high quality. Smith's Cotton Mill was originally situated on the site of this chapel. In 1914 the area of Johnstone was 260 acres and the boundary ended just beyond St. Margaret's Chapel.

55. River Cart. Some boys are seen here on a sumrner's day cooling off in the waters of the Black Cart. The factory chimney in the distance is that of William Paton Ltd. The development of the cotton industry in Johnstone was greatly assisted by the water from the Cart. Soon after its foundation in 1781, there were five cotton mi lis which used the Cart. Three of these mills were partly dependent on a tributary burn, Cotton mills were also built along the banks of the Cart from Lochwinnoch to Linwood. Intricate systems of lades and sluices were constructed to control the flow of water and channel it to the water-wheels. One of the oldest mills was at the site of Messrs. William Paton Ltd. As a result of the development of stearn power in the 1790s, the mills were no longer dependent on the Cart, and Johnstone became the main location ofthe cotton industry in Renfrewshire.

HAGG MILL, .lOHN5TONE

VALENTINE8 8ERIES

56. Hagg Bank Mill. The imposing structure ofthe Hagg Bank Mill towers over the Black Cart Water in th is view. For a considerable period this mill was in a ruinous condition. Part of the lade for this mill was tunnelled under the Hagg Bank. This involved considerable engineering skilI. George Houstoun, the Laird of Johnstone , was responsible for the erection of this cotton mill in the late eighteenth century. As a result of the development of the cotton industry and the relatively high wages earned by the workers, many people came to live in the Johnstone area at the end of the eighteenth century and the beginning of the nineteenth century. Mills were built on the banks of every stream with a flow of water which was sufficient to drive the machinery. At one time there were twenty mills which were located within a mile of Johnstone Cross. The Hagg Mil! was blown up by gunpowder in the early 1920s.

57. Barbush Mill. This is one of the many cotton mills which once functioned in Johnstone. The progress of these mills was rapid, with two in operation by 1793, rising 10 fifteen by 1846. The Reverend Robert Boag writing in the Old Statistical Account in 1793 was extremely concerned about the health of young children who were employed in the mills and also of their excessive hours of work. He also pointed out that parents sent their children to such work at an early age when they had little or no education. George Houstoun, the founder of Johnstone, employed very young children in his mills where the working hours were from 5 a.m. til8 p.m. with only two hours for meals for six days a week. Many wo men also worked in the mills as, like children, they were a souree of cheap labour. The Reverend Robert Boag in a further reference to child labour in the cotton mills stated the following: 'Ignorance , disease and mortality are but too likely to prove the effects of this manufacture if carried out by unfeeling and selfish men.'

58. Paper Works. Part of the premises of Smith and McLaurin Ltd., paper manufacturers, can be seen on the left. This firm had its origins in Glasgow and, as early as 1849, had pioneered the manufacture of gummed paper. A drama tic incident in the history of the firm was the outbreak of fire which occurred early on the morning of 24 August 1933 in the Cartside Mil!. The first signs of the fire were noticed at 6.45 a.m. by a postman on his rounds. Men from the West Renfrewshire Fire Brigade were soon at the scene of the fire which was under control within half-an-hour. The firemen were able to confine the blaze to the south end of the building, and although stock consisting of coated paper was destroyed, no machinery was damaged. The fire began in a store on the second f100r and it was here where the most damage occurred. It was stated at the time that there would be no job losses among the workers as a result of this incident. The building on the right of this view has been demolished.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek