Johnstone in old picture postcards

Johnstone in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5332-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Johnstone in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. The Cart. The now-dernolished Bank House can be seen on the right ofthis view at the top of Cart Lane. The factory buildings on the left were formerly those of Finlayson, Bousfield and Company. The Strathclyde Chemical Company Ltd. now have extensive premises on that site. There are now many more trees on the left bank of the river, with additional pathways and steps in the foreground.

GardDer, llillikeo Park

60. On the Cart. This is the saw-mil! beside the Black Cart whieh was owned by Barr Bros. These pre mises were known as the Milliken Mil!. This building has been demolished. A water-wheel ean be seen on the Ieft of this view. This firm supplied wood products to the Seottish Co-operative Wholesale Society in Glasgow. It also supplied wooden fencing for farmers in addition to pit-props and pit-lids for coal-mines.

61. lohn Lang and Sans. A group of apprentices at John Lang and Sons pose for the photographer in about 1910. In 1874 John Lang, a foreman in the works of Shanks and Company in Johnstone, decided to found his own engineering business. He first built premises in Laighcartside Streel. His sons John and Robert also went to work with hirn. Gradually the firm developed a special expertise in the production of lathes. As aresuit their small machine shop of about 70 feet by 30 feet was extended til! it took up the entire area between Mary Street and Laighcartside Streel. In 1899 the firm feued 15 acres on the opposite side of Mary Street where machine shops and a foundry were erected on part of the ground. Their design of lathes achieved a world-wide reputation. 'Lang's for Lathes' was once a well-known slogan. Even by 1959 the firm employed almost 1,000 men. In 1964 John Lang and Sons was taken over by Wiekman Ltd. of Coventry and in 1966 the name of the company was changed to Wickman Lang Ltd. The firm is no longer in operation,

62. lohn Lang and Sons. This shows an interior view of the works of John Lang and Sans in the 1920s. The stout man in the centre of the picture is John Lang, Junior, who was the general manager of the firm at that time. He was Provost of Johnstone from 1899 to 1908. When John Lang was about 14 years old he became an apprentice-draughtsman with Shanks and Company. While an apprentice he attended the University of Glasgow for instruction in rnathematics. chemistry and engineering. John Lang, Junior, became a draughtsman with a Glasgow firm befare joining his father's business in 1874. He was elected as a member of Johnstone Town Council in 1893. He was Convener of the Gas Committee and took an active part in the movement for the extension of the gas-works of the town. As a member of the Health Committee he constantly advocated improvement in sanitation. Provost Lang was in favour of good conditions for his workers. John Lang and Sons made the lathes which the arms manufacturers required for the turning of their finest steel shells.

63. lohn Cairns and Sons. The staff of John Cairns and Sans stand outside their premises at 8 Houston Square. An advertisement for 'Nugget Boot Polish' is visible above the entrance of the shop. In the 1920s there were the following bootrnakers in Johnstone: John Thompson, 1 Canal Street; Charles Buchanan, 34 McDowall Street; Jarnes Kelly, 25 McDowall Street; Philip Barnc, 21 Rankine Streel. Miss R.G. Laird was in business as a boot- and shoemaker at 23 High Street while Greenlees and Sans operated a si mil ar establishment at 29 High Streel. The Johnstone Co-operative Society sold boots and shoes at their premises at 61 High Streel. They also had a boot shop at 6 Church Streel. William Paton Ltd. in addition to being thread manufacturers also made boot laces. The leather trade was also represented by William Clark , who was a saddler and had premises at 76 High Streel. The North British Boot Lace Company was formerly located in High Streel.

.?

64. Fire Brigade Committee. The members of the first Fire Brigade Committee of Johnstone Town Council pose for the camera in front of the fire engine complete with crew in the 1920s. The former fire station in Overton Crescent is in the background. A report in the 'Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette' on 10 April 1926, stated that a new Halley motor fire-engine recently purchased for West Renfrewshire Fire Brigade had been delivered by the makers and been housed at the fire station at the Thorn. This brigade was formerly responsible for the Lower Ward of Renfrewshire and also part of the Upper Ward in addition to the Burgh of Johnstone.

X F'IQ<c:;'T wn.p Q~ ?..? IGW SoTRE.ET

65. Johnstone Co-operative Society. The opening of the first shop of the Johnstone Co-operative Society took place at 93 High Street on 23 July 1866. A previous co-operative society in Johnstone had failed in 1802. In 1861 James Finlayson of Finlayson, Bousfield and Company advised his employees to start a co-operative society. However, the first definite steps in implementing Mr. Finlayson's suggestion did not occur until the beginning of 1866. On 19 January of that year a meeting was held in the News Room, 65 High Street in order to consider the proposal of starting a co-operative society in conneetion with the F1ax Mills. A committee was formed at this meeting and they organised a general meeting of the workers at the Temperanee Hall in McDowall St reet on 14 February 1866. On that occasion it was decided to form a society which was to be known as the Flax Mil! Workers' Co-operative Society. The capital was to be fl,OOO which was to consist of a thousand one-pound-shares. In 1873 the Flax Mills Co-operative Society became known as the Johnstone Co-operative Society.

66. Houston Square Property. These buildings in Houston Square have been demolished. The central butchery branch of the Johnstone Co-operative Society was formerly located in the premises on the left where a selection of meat is on display. The Society also had a general warehouse at this address, In addition, there was a boot shop which also provided a boot-repairing service.

CKUR

67. Johnstone Co-operative Society. This shows the extensive shop-front of the Society's pre mises in Church Street on a sunny day before the First World War. At that time these premises were used as a baker's, Business was commenced at this location in 1900. The bakery of the Johnstone Co-operative Society was situated at 61 High Street, where operations began in 1879. In the beg inning the Johnstone society had to depend on private firms for supplies of all kinds, but this did not prove to be satisfactory. The Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society and the United Co-operative Baking Society were both founded in the late 1860s. The Johnstone society was a mernber of both organisations from the outset, and derived much assistance from them during the early years of its existence.

ttlG ST E.ET P OP T

68. Johnstone Co-operative Society. The prominent sign over the premises of the Johnstone Co-operative Society in 61 High Street stands out clearly in contrast to the other properties in this almost deserted street-scene, Groceries and clothing were sold at this branch. In 1866 there were only 45 members of the Johnstone Co-operative Society with capita! of 1:82. The sales for that year were fl,215 and the profit was a mere 1:5. In its 50th year of operation in 1915 the membership of the Society had risen to 2,014 and the capital was 1:45,767. Sales had risen to 1:85,200 and profits to 1:10,288. There were 23 presidents of the Society from 1866 to 1916. Thomas Small held the office on two occasions, 1866-1867 and 1880-1883. He was also secretary for six years and was one of the representatives of the Johnstone society who served on the board of directors of the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society. John Howie was the23rd President ofthe Johnstone Co-operative Society and held office from 1912 to 1916.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek