Keighley in old picture postcards

Keighley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian Dewhirst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4594-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keighley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Turn-of-the-century Westgate, the street which gave its name to a locality, with the Bay Horse Inn on the left, denoted by the lamp. Year after year , Keighley's Medical Officer of Health spelled out the shortcomings of homes such as these: 'it was notorious that on some no direct ray of sunlight had fallen since the houses were built 100 years ago, in all there was a complete absence of keeping-cellars, some had rat-infested cupboards, in others food-stuffs were kept under the bed, wash-houses there were none, co als were stored anyhow, anywhere, and as for closet accommodation, some, indeed, had water-closets, others had tub-closets, single or joint, all were a nuisance ... ' It is against scenes such as this that the achievements of the present century should be measured.

10. This is another of Keighley's oldest thoroughfares, Low Street, decorated for the Coronation of King Edward VII in 1902. The f1ag-bedecked shop on the right belonged to manufacturing confectioners Messrs . J. Bottomley and Sans, Ltd. This firm, surviving the murder at Leeds in 1883 of its founder , Jonas Bottomley, was by the turn of the century producing over twenty tons of sweets a week from its factory in adjoining Adelaide Street. Especially famous were Bottomleys' time fruit tab lets and mint rock, the subject of extravagant claims. 'The greatest enemy to Bronchitis!' cried Bottomleys' mint rock advertising. 'Saves Thousands of Lives from that dreadful disease.'

11. Described at the time as 'the most picturesque survival of eighteenth-century Keighley,' the Fleece Hotel - formerly the Golden Fleece - in Low Street, was demolished in 1934 to make way for a new Marks and Spencer 'super stores' which opened the following March. This hostelry had been a recurring name in the tewn's social history. In the 18205 it had served as meetingplace for a woolcornbers' club (an early farm of trade union). During the coaching era, travelIers had set out from the Fleece, aboard the 'Royal Alexander' for Leeds, the 'Tradesman ' for Bradford, or the 'Wonder' for Halifax. After its demolition , one of its interior doors - symbolic of its many uses - was found to have had, at different times, no less than eight keyhoJes.

12. 'A bit of ├╝ld Keighley' rather wistfully runs the caption on this 1930-ish postcard of a little newsagent's and stationer's shop with a bow window in Change gate - the older name by which the top end of Low Street was still known into the present century. There was a Thomas Crabtree selling books in Changegate in the 18308 (he supplied the Mechanics' Institute Library in its early years), whilst the firm printed hundreds of posters during the middle decades of the nineteenth century. In common with so much old property, 'Crabtree's' succumbed to between-the-wars developments.

13. In 1305 Edward I granted Keighley's Market Charter to Henry de Keighley, whose family remained Lords of the Manor for fifteen generations until a sixteenth-century daughter of the last male of the line married a Cavendish of the Dukes of Devonshire. For more than 500 years the market was held on Church Green, but moved on to this purpose-built site in 1833, occupying it till1971. The Market still holds an important place in working-class memories - most veterans reeall late Saturday-night shopping excursions when perishable foodstuffs were sold off cheap. This is the view along Market Street towards Low Streel. The heavily-loaded pole above the roof-tops marks the then telephone exchange.

14. North Street immediately prior to its widening and virtual re-building in the 1890s, looking towards Church Green and the Cross - so named, not because it makes a cross-roads with High Streetand Low Street, but because the old Market Cross used to stand there. Originally laid out in 1786, North Street at the Cross marked the beginning of the Keighley and Kendal Turnpike Road. The horse-tram lines had been laid in 1889 by a Keighley Tramways Company which operated a frequent service between Ingrow and Utley. The horses also went on duty with the Fire Brigade when need arose!

15. North Street in 1890, with the great Loekwood and Mawson Mechanics' Institute contrasting with small wooden shops. One of the houses on the left had been built by machine-maker George Srnith in 1852, when more solid citizens were moving out of the traditional residential centre of town into a new suburbia beginning to creep out along North Streel. Stone came from local quarries at Hainworth Shaw and Braeken Bank, flags from Wieken Crag and Penistone at Haworth. George Smith's house was fumished with a rather grand watercloset with deal 'elbows' and a mahogany seat; there was also a privy with a seat '20 inches wide with two holes', and for good measure, out in the yard, a urinal of strong flags six feet high. By coincidence, George Smith's house was destined in 1902 to adjoin the site of Keighley's Carnegie Public Library of which his son, Sir Swire Smith, had been an instigator.

16. Examples of the fine new buildings, embellished with highly decorative stone-carving, which graced the reconstructed North Street of the late nineteenth century. To the right of the shops of M. and E. Steil and Mrs. Fred Pearson is the Bradford District Bank Limited, erected in 1892 on the site of a private residence, boasting frontages on both North Street and Chapel Lane. lts architects were W. and J. B. Bailey of Keighley. Joseph Booth Bailey had earlier been an assistant with the great Bradford architects Loekwood and Mawson. He and his brother , Wilson Bailey, were responsible for many Keighley buildings of the period, being equally competent with mills, churches, shops and houses. Their most noteworthy work included All Saints' Church, the Temperanee Institute, and Victoria Hospital.

jlorlh Sireet,

Xeigh/ey.

Pub t-y tbe iptOD Sta'ioDcry Co., kipt"".

17. The superb vista looking northwards from the Cross by the beginning of this century. The long handsome block of shop frontages along the right-hand side is Burlington Buildings of 1891. The shop in the right foreground, in addition to being a Midland Railway and Cook's Tours booking office, also operates as a shipping and emigration agency. Many men emigrated from Keighley, especially in times of industrial depression, sending for their families once they had settled in the New World. In the mid-1850s, for example, emigrants could apply for weekly sailings 'to America, Australia, or any ofthe British Colonies' . By the late 1870s, New Zealand was a popular choice.

18. The spacious view northwards along North Street during the second decade of this century, typically dominated by the clock -tower of the Loekwood and Mawson Mechanics' Institute of 1870. Gracious buildings along the left-hand side include respectively the Police Station of 1887, the Public Library of 1904, and the Temperanee Institute of 1896, the two latter distinguished by cupolas. Civic developments, which enjoyed a peak between the 1890s and the Great War, encompassed the planting of trees to provide an avenue along North Street. Keighley's electric trams had a comparatively short life, and would be discontinued in 1924. Incidentally, this postcard mistakenly describes this as Skipton Road, which in reality North Street does not become until beyond the furthest point of this scene.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek