Keighley in old picture postcards

Keighley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian Dewhirst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4594-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keighley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. One of the new electric trams in North Street, backed by the Keighley Mechanics' Institute, the town's physical focal point. A work of the famous partnership of Bradford architects, Henry Francis Loekwood and William Mawson, this had officially opened in 1870 and had been enlarged in 1887. The doek was added to its tower in 1892, the gift of industrialist Prince Smith. Keighley Mechanics' Institute, which also accommodated the School of Science and Art and the Trade and Grammar School, served for ninety years as an educational and social centre. From its inception, it brought a library, newsroom and gymnasium within reach of all, and its Christmas Conversaziones were enjoyed alike by 'Tories and Radicals, Churchmen and Dissenters'. Much of the building was bumt out in 1962.

20. The Mechanics' Institute clock-tower looked stately from all angles. Here, about 1905, it completes the vista down Highfield Lane and Albert Street. In the left foreground is the Albert Street Baptist Chapel, erected in 1865 'in the Byzantine style, freely treated'; beyond, the Temperanee Institute of 1896. This important social centre comprised a large hall seating 800, a lower hall for ~50, and a variety of smaller rooms: in the 1930s the building was accommodating at least 1,800 meetings a year. On the right are the Public Baths which had originated in 1876 after a seven-year controversy which had split ratepayers into two camps, bathites and anti-bathites.

21. The southward view along North Street on an August day in 1902, with the Parish Church tower just visible at the end of the vista. The current widening of the street has left lamp-posts temporarily out in the road! The view is naturally dominated by the Mechanics' Institute. The end building of the nearer group on the left, at an angle to the corner, was Sandywood House. This had been built as a cotton mill in the early 1800s, later becoming a boarding school for young ladies, then the home of the Sandywood Bowling Club. There was a bowling green round the back of the premises, on the site of the former mill dam.

22. North Street (again ambiguously called Skipton Road on this postcard) looking northwards out of town. Changing habits of the twentieth century have produced a garage and bicycle shop on the left, and the Picture House on the right, complete with its ornate glass canopy. Opened in 1913, one of eight cinemas which Keighley was to boast (though never quite all at once), the Picture House was biIled as 'the House of Luxury and Comfort'. Patrons in 'the body of the hall' sat in 300 'armchairs' at threepence each and another 300 at sixpence; the Grand Circle cost ninepence and a shilling. There were a café and an orchestra of four, and the vestibule had 'mahogany panelled walls and an Italian mosaic pavement'. As for the 'operating equipment', this was 'thoroughly modern, and comprises two of Butcher's No. 12 Empire machines, by means of which long intervals between pictures will be obviated'.

23. Showfield about 1890, its skyline dominated by the fairytale turrets of Cliffe Castle, when this represented a growing fashionable side of town. Good terrace houses are being built down Strawberry Street, and more substantial residences are spreading out along Skipton Road, individually named - Ashville, Springfield, North and Earl Villas. The chapel-like building in the foreground is in fact the Drake and Tonson's Girls' Grammar School, named after local educational benefactors John Drake and Jonas Tonson and opened on this site in 1872. The land on the right of this scene was used literally as a show field, where visiting circuses and other spectacles would pitch their marquees.

24. An early twentieth-century view to the north-east from the Parish Church tower, across the roofs of Changegate to Cooke Lane and Townfield Gate and an area now largely demolished and replaced by a 1960s town centre. Older higgledy-pigg1edy property contrasts with handsome recent buildings, including the School Board Offices (1893), the New Queen's Theatre (1900), and the Gas Offices and Showrooms (1902). Town centre factories range in name from the exotic Honduras Works to the more mundane Airedale Works. Far back on the left rises the graceful spire of the United Methodist Free Church in Cavendish Street.

25. Prior to the laying out of North Street in 1786, Cooke Lane (there has always been an ambiguity about its spelling, with or without an e) served as Keighley's main north-south thoroughfare. This is the view from the Low Street corner in the early 1900s. Premises along the left-hand side include the Oid Brewery of Aaron King and Co., whilst beyond, a funeral cortege stands outside William Harris's livery stables. On the right are the imposing Gas Offices, with StanIey's Stores in the foreground. Highly respected StanIey's Stores specialised in such justifiabie treats as 'Invalids' Champagne and 'Stanley's Golden-Gien Glenlivet', which carried the heartening encomium: 'Where Whiskey is needed as a medicine this is highly recommended by the medical facuIty.' This entire vista disappeared under Keighley's 1960s shopping precinct.

26. Townfield Gate, about 1890. In the left background looms the United Methodist Free Church, and on the far right the roof of the Queen's Theatre. Townfield probably represented a medieval system of communal land cultivation, which had been largely enclosed in 1790. What remains in this photograph was used for open-air meetings, to which local residents objected. Matters came to a head in 1905, when an angry househoider hired an organ-grinder to disrupt an al-fresco gathering of the Keighley Temperanee Society. This tactic ensured an audience of a thousand for the next temperanee meeting, but this time the diversion was provided by a cheap-jack from Sheffield, who 'proceeded to drink beer from bottles'. Keighley Corporation decided to provide another open-air site, and the Town Hall Square was the result. Eventually Townfield Gate became used as a bus terminus, until the fully-fledged Bus Station came into being.

27. Cavendish Street, showing its notorious 'bottle-neck' between the Oddfel1ows' Arms on the lef! and the Oueen's Head Inn on the right. 1899 saw the start of a scheme to make Cavendish Street 'a close riyal to North Street for architectural effect, width and symmetry', and indifferent premises, down the lelt-hand background as seen here, were demolished. The Corporation had sold the Oddfellows' Arms to Halifax brewers T. Ramsden and Sans Ltd. on condition that they replace it with a finer hostelry: the Cavendish Hotel was the result. The Queen's Head Inn was alJowed to remain in business only until the Cavendish Hotel was completed, then in turn demolished. After its virtual re-building, Cavendish Street was 22 yards wide.

//

28. This is the spacious view up Cavendish Street which by the early 1900 s was intended to impress the visitor emerging from Keighley's railway station. On the left, the Victoria Hotel catered primarily for commercial travelIers. lts novelties included a hydraulic lift, electric lights 'most artistically arranged', and a grand restaurant and buffet; it could also lay on balls and public banquets. On the right, Cavendish Street shoppers are protected by a stylish glass canopy. Thirty-six of these handsome shops had been built by Sir Prince Smith, textile manufacturer and director of the Bradford District Bank.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek