Keighley in old picture postcards

Keighley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian Dewhirst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4594-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keighley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Cavendish Street, from the former bottle-neck, about 1920. Again, the Mechanics' Institute dominates. The spire on its nearer side belonged to the United Methodist Free Church (this denomination had original!y seceded from the Wesleyans during a dispute over an organ) which opened in 1868 and was nicknamed the 'Cock Chapel' in honour of its weathercock, which crowed 125 feet above the street on top of the highest spire in Keighley. On the left, the tal! building with turret provided a fine headquarters for the Keighley Cycling Club in 1896; but optician J.E. Gledhill's shop on the corner was to be replaced in 1923 by a Halifax Building Society in Portland stone.

30. The view from the upper windows of the Craven Bank, North Street, a little after noon on 23rd January 1900. Wooden shops and hoardings surround the Corporation stone-yard, destined a few years later to provide the site for a spacious Town Hall Square. Factories have let their workers out half-an-hout early in order to watch an Active Service Contingent of the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, march off along North Street en route for the Boer War. The Battalion band leads. Behind them, distinguishable by their greatcoats and the khaki covers on their helmets, come the 36 men bound for the front. The picture was taken by an amateur photographer, a gentleman 'of a quiet and unassuming disposition' called Taylor Srnith.

31. Another photograph which can be precisely dated - thanks to the hoardings advertising a visit of Buffalo Bill Ccdy's Wild West show on 7th October 1903 - gives the view across the Corporation stone-yard from the opposite side on Cooke Street. In the right background looms the Mechanics' Institute clock-tower; whilst along from middle to left runs the Carnegie Free Library in process of erection. The awning over its front entrance marks where master craftsman Alex. F. Smith, responsible for much decorative work around the town, was producing arguably his finest piece of stone-carving, This picture, with its contrast between handsome buildings and utilitarian dutter, symbolises again a community emerging with civic pride from haphazard origins.

32. This Keighley vista from the south-east stresses the industrial nature of the Victorian town. According to a memorial presented to the Earl of Beaconsfield in 1878, about the time that this photograph was taken, Keighley boasted seventy worsted factories, 'containing 301,580 spinning and doubling spindIes, and 6,452 loorns'. In other words, KeighIey was estimated to possess 'one-tenth of the mills, nearly one-eighth of the spindIes, and nearly one-twelfth of the Iooms employed in the worsted trade throughout the United Kingdom'. Other manufactures included steam-engines, lathes, sewing machines, and washing and wringing machines - some 64,000 of the latter were produced in a single year. Notwithstanding, the Earl of Beaconsfield was not persuaded to grant Keighley parliamentary borough status on that occasion.

33. The original of this postcard, showing children coming out of Haggas's mill at Ingrow , was meticulously dated twelve noon on 22nd August 1908- this was a Saturday, so they have finished work for the weekend. By this period, these factory children would be protected by legislation: they will-have started work only at the age of eleven and on condition that they have attained minimum standards in reading, writing and arithmetic, and they will work first as half-timers (half the day at the mill and half at school). They will begin working full-time when they are thirteen. Their first jobs in the spinning department will be doffing (removing fuIl bobbins and replacing them with empty ones) and piecing (twisting broken threads together).

34. Damems Mill continued to depend on water long after industry had moved on to other sourees of power. Built, like so many early Keighley factories, originally for cotton manufacture, Damems Mill- again typically - changed to worsted. Water from the River Worth was diverted into the dam seen here, from which it could be discharged over a bridge (dated 1842) and down a sluice to a warer-wheel housed in the building in the left foreground. The wheel was 26 feet 6 inches in diameter and its blades were 12 feet wide. It could produce a maximum of 80 horse-power. In 1936 this traditional souree was still tuming nearly a hundred looms.

35. Dalton Mills, seen here when new in the 1870s, demonstrating that not all factories were necessarily dark and satanic. The Midland Railway runs across the foreground, and beyond, fringed by trees on the nearer side ofthe mills, flows the River Worth. One of J. and J. Craven's works, Dalton Mills enjoyed two noteworthy features: viz. the largest mil! beam engine in the worId, capable of developing over 2,000 horse-power and taking seven years to build; and a look-out tower round its chimney. This latter was the inspiration of Joseph H. Craven, whose adjoining Strong Close House occupied low ground and had no views. To the left of Dalton Mil!s can be seen St. Mary's Church, built in 1855 for the Parish of Eastwood.

36. Fleece Mills, a town centre industrial complex, seen here about 1905 bebind the less fashionable side of Cavendish Street. The original Fleece Mill was built by William Sugden about 1819, and shortly afterwards became the first factory in Keighley to be lit with gas; the premises grew during the century. Some of the single-storey businesses in the foreground are trading on their address: there is a Cavendish Hosiery, and boot and leather merchant Albert Massey patented 'Cavendish Feit Soeks' for keeping the feet warm in winter. On the far right is the Victoria Steam Laundry, wherein one cver-awed witness of the time noted 'huge piles of bundies of wearing apparel, including collars, cuffs, cravats, blouses, aprons, shirts, singlets, handkerchiefs & c.,' to say nothing of a profusion of table-cloths, blankets, sheets and antimacassars. One of this laundry's period slogans ran: 'Gentlemen's Linen got up equal to new.'

37. This Becks Road factory, seen here in the early stages of its construction , was built for worsted spinners Robert Clough and Co. It was started in August of 1908 and finished in March the following year- an extensive six-storey premises, complete with chimney and dam, straddling the North Beek. On the left beyond the mill rise the tall houses ofWestgate, whilst bebind the growing stump of ehimney lies the eongested Damside, both areas cleared within the next thirty years. Robert Clough himself epitomised those many manufacturers whose interests extended to their communities, for he was deeply involved in the Infants' Aid Society, the YMCA and the NSPCC. At 34, he served as Keighley's then youngest Mayor in 1907, and was elected Keighley's first Conservative Member of Parliament (his predecessors had all been Liberals) in the Coalition government of 1919. He was knighted in 1921.

38. Ingrow Fold, rare seventeenth-century buildings surviving until comparatively recently within a mile of Keighley town centre. The date carved above the main doorway was 1663, and the door itself was thought to be the original, heavily studded with wooden pegs, one of the best examples of its type in the district. The cottages feIl vacant in 1957 and were demolished three years later - the barns had already gone. This photograph was taken about 1913 by Dr. Francis Villy, a medical practitioner better remembered for his work as an amateur archaeologist, especially for his investigation of the courses of Roman roads, A trowel and the letters S.P.Q.R. are fittingly incorporated on his gravestone.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek