Keighley in old picture postcards

Keighley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian Dewhirst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4594-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keighley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. A reminder of Keighley's agricultural past, continuing into the present century: the cattle fair in Scott Street, parallel and within a stone's-throw of North Street. Keighley fair had been traditionally held, by the terms of its Market Charter of 1305, 'on the eve on the day and on the day following of St. Sirnon and St. Jude', but by the early 1900s, when this postcard was produced, the time was probably May. Increasing traffic had by then pushed livestock out ofthe main thoroughfares into side roads. It was the custom for cows to stand for sale in Scott Street, Russell Street and Devonshire Street, horses at the bottom of West Lane, and sheep round the back of the High Street. Afterwards, it is said, the Fire Brigade would clean the streets with their hosesl

40. This cooper, still working in crumbling oid premises in Chapel Lane in 1926, provides a reminder of the variety oftrades formerly carried on in the town. In the 1880s, for example, in addition to staple industries and every expected line of business, Keighley also boasted manufacturers of such diverse commodities as washing liquid, grease, aerated water, cart covers, venetian blinds, dry soap, mattresses and bedding, brushes, coaches, railway wagons, tobacco and umbrellas; to saynothing of specialist occupations like a tripe dresser, a herring eurer, a japanner, a taxidermist, and a 'bone setter, and dealer in cattle spice'.

41. In 1901 Keighley possessed no less than seventeen slaughter-houses. Situated in the heart of Westgate, this (surprisingly) more substantial example was mercifully replaced by a new municipal abattoir in 1930. During their last full year of operation, however, these premises witnessed the killing of 2,392 cattle, 153 calves, 2,086 pigs and 7,059 sheep, A total of96 cattle and 26 pigs were found to be infected with tuberculosis. Here boys begged bladders to use as footballs, The iron ring visible in the ground towards the bottom lefthand corner was used, in conjunction with a chain, to pull a cow's head down to the ground in order to strike it with the poleaxe.

42. The teachings of Emanuel Swedenborg gained early adherents in Keighley, which in 1789 formed the first Swedenborgian - or New Jerusalem - Society in Yorkshire. Their temple or meeting-house was built in 1805 in King Street where Acres Mill, belonging to member Berry Smith, adjoined and eventually expanded round it. Yet for most of the century this remained a peaceful corner, embellished with a text from Swedenborg above the door: 'All religion hath relation to life, and the life of religion is to do good.' By 1891, when they moved into more ambitious premises in Devonshire Street, the Keighley Swedenborgians mustered 63 members, with 62 scholars and 24 teachers in their Sunday School. They also ran a sick club and a library of 500 volumes. Secretary for many years was Alfred Bottomley, father of the Georgian poet and playwright Gordon Bottomley.

43. Temple Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel opened in 1846, coinciding with the re-building of the Parish Church. lts architect was James Simpson, of Leeds. Keighley Methodists had occupied this site since their earliest days, their first chapel in 1754 having replaced gardens and orchards in what was still a small rustic town. James Simpson's chapel could seat nearly 1,600, but crammed 2,000 in for its opening service. Originally set imposingly back from North Street, Temple Street Chapel could scarcely hope to maintain its spacious setting indefinitely in an expanding town; although its Trustees tried planting 'forest trees on the plot of ground in front of the Chapel'. This photograph was probably taken immediately prior to the substantial re-building of North Street in the 1890s.

44. St. Peter's Church, formed appropriately on St. Peter's Day in 1872, was one of severallater Victorian measures 'to provide for the spiritual wants of the large and increasing population of the Parish of Keighley', notably in a growing suburbia. For its first ten years, St. Peter's worshipped in an iron building, until this church 'in the early English style of architecture' , accommodating 850, opened in Halifax Road. The iron building thereupon became a Sunday School. St. Peter's epitomised the range of social, as well as religious, amenities offered by places of worship in their hey-day. In addition to the Sunday services, a typical week offered a savings bank, sewing party, Men's and Women's Help Societies, Bible and singing classes, a Band of Hope, Church Temperanee Society and Mothers' Union. St. Peter's Church was demolished in 1956.

45. The Church of St. John the Evangelist was consecrated for the newly-formed parish of Ingrow-cum-Hainworth in 1843, in time to serve as Keighley's temporary Parish Church during the re-building of the latter between 1846 and 1848. Due to the rather curious boundaries appertaining at the time, 1,676 Ingrow residents lived technically in Keighley and 2,344 in Bingley. This view can be dated around the turn of the century, as the Ingrow Board Schools, farther back on the left of the church, are in process of erection. The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway occupies the foreground. The waggons bear the initials of the Midland Railway - from which the Worth Valley line was a branch - or the names of individual collieries and coal dealers.

46. The Town Hall Livery Stables in North Street, inc1uding an ornate hearse. Cab proprietor Joseph Smith, who had started out as a greengrocer with a donkey and cart, built up an 'excellently-appointed' establishment of thirty horses and a fleet of waggonettes, gigs, landaus, hearses, wedding and mourning coaches (funerals provided a speciality). The horses were stabIed on the upper floor, and entered the building by means of a ramp at the front entrance. A nearby bell-pull was guaranteed to summon attention by day or night, since transport was available at all hours. In 1920 this site was occupied by the Regent Picture House.

47. Turn-of-the-century Christmas fare displayed outside the Keighley Industrial Co-operative Society's Central Stores in Brunswick Street. The boards beside the door read respectively: 'Your Smallest Order will Receive our Closest Attention. Try Us' and 'Look B 4 U Leap. This is the Place for Poultry.' A working-class enterprise, the Keighley Co-operative Society had been launched in 1860. Early Committee members had tramped over to Hebden Bridge for cheaper fiour, and the first treasurer used to hide the takings each night in bis linen-chest. But by the time the Brunswick Street Stores were built, they replaced 'fifteen cottages, a van house, a large workshop and yard'. Their opening in 1886 was celebrated appropriately by a lantern lecture on 'Co-operative Thrift' .

48. Keighley Public Library, officially opened by the Duke of Devonshire in 1904. This was the first library in England to benefit from the generosity of Andrew Carnegie, who gave flO,OOO towards it. Keighley reciprocated by becoming the first town in England to confer the Freedom of its Borough on Mr. Carnegie, whose gift was occasioned through bis friendship with the Keighley educationalist Sir Swire Smith. The design for the Carnegie Free Library, as it was then called, was based on 'a free treatment of Early Renaissance'. It incorporated the bookstock of the former Keighley Mechanics' Institute Library founded in 1825. When it opened in 1904, it comprised alending library, reading room, patents library and students' room; a reference library would follow in 1912, and a children's library in 1929.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek