Keighley in old picture postcards

Keighley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian Dewhirst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4594-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keighley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Studious citizens in the reading room of the Camegie Free Library - a uniformed curator stood by to maintain siIence! - posing for the benefit of fashionable Keighley photographers Hall and Siggers. There was seating for 150, and the walls were embellished with some of MI. Carnegie's favourite quotations, such as 'They are never aIone who are accompanied by noble thoughts' and 'The chief glory of a nation is its authors'. When this reading room opened in 1904, it took twenty daily newspapers, 80 weeklies, 63 monthly magazines and two quarterlies. The 'Phonetic Journal' on the foreground table is a reminder of one of Keighley's special interests: the first Esperanto Society in England was formed here in 1902.

50. The Keighley Fire Brigade, probably in a Friendly Societies' Gala procession around the turn ofthe century. They are passing St. Peter's Church in Halifax Road. Keighley's Fire Brigade had originated modestly in 1829, when six part-time firemen were paid four shillings a year, plus six-pence an hour when attending fires, and were allowed to beg at Christmas! By the time of this photograph , however, the Brigade was commanded by the legendary Captain Smith Lonsdale, whose career spanned forty years and more than 450 fires. The leading vehicle is the double cylinder steam fire engine which Keighley had acquired in 1893.

51. Keighley's Gas Works at Thwaites, opened in 1876. The town had been lit by gas since 1825, but fifty years later the growing population required a larger scale of operations. The new Thwaites site ineluded a section of old river course utilised for tipping, and adjoined the railway from which elevated sidings led into the retort house and coal stores. The offices and laboratories boasted a decorative elock tower; there were also a diningroom and baths for the workmen. After the official opening, the Chairman of the Local Board entertained guests to dinner and a menu of hare soup, turbot, calfs head, pigeon pie, pheasants and partridge. Meanwhile, the Gas Committee provided a supper for 'the whole of the employees of the Gas Department' .

52. East Riddlesden Hall, arguably Keighley's most attractive historical building, is seen here about 1900. The Canons of Bolton Priory were buying fish from its pond as early as 1320. The Hall itself dates from the seventeenth century, and a later tenant reared the Airedale Heifer, one of those heavy-weight creatures which the 1800s set such store by. The fate of East Riddlesden Hall was to hang in the balance in 1933, when it was threatened with demolition, but happily it was bought by brothers Alderman William Anderton Brigg and County Alderman J.J. Brigg, who promptly handed it over to the National Trust.

53. The classical frontage of Eastwood House, built in 1819 by worsted manufacturer William Sugden of Fleece Mill. lts extensive parkIand, half a mile east of the town proper, occupied a 'field of plain earth' where horse races had been run in the early eighteenth century. Part of the Eastwood House estate disappeared under housing developments; the rest was bought by public subscription and opened as Victoria Park in 1893. This photograph was probably taken a short time earlier, before the court yard behind Eastwood House was covered over to form a large hall accommodating a four-month Science and Art Exhibition to mark the Park's official opening. In reality, KeighIey's museum was to remain here for more than sixty years, Eastwood House having become better known as the Mansion House.

Cliffe Castte

Valerreines Serie;

54. Undoubtedly Keighley's grandest residence, Cliffe Castle, built by manufacturer Henry Isaac Butterfield over a decade from 1875. Described at the time as 'a modernised Tudor castle in the Victorian era', Cliffe Castie sported a fine conservatory and winter gardens, and such arrogant details as a bronze lamp-post before its entrance porch, 'the facsimile of those that adorn the Tharnes Embankment, except that Mr. Butterfield's crest is substituted for the Royal crown'! Interior features included Rossini's bed, 'a tea-caddy belonging to the late Emperor of France', and Chinese vases looted from the Chinese Emperor's summer palace in Peking. In 1950, Cliffe Castie and its extensive grounds were bought and given to the town by Sir BraceweIl Smith, a native of Keighley and former Lord Mayor of London.

55. The turrets of Cliffe CastIe seen beyond the 'ornamental serpentine lake' of a new Devonshire Park. This was Keighley's first public park, laid out on nine acres of land presented to the town by the Duke of Devonshire. It included the obligatory Victorian bandstand and a terrace promenade commanding 'a magnificent view of the valley of the Aire, with Rombalds Moor in the distance' . 20,000 Sunday School scholars, teachers and townsfolk celebrated the Queen's 1887 Jubilee there, although the park was not officially opened until 1888, an event commemorated in rhyme by Keighley's unofficial poet laureate, William Wright or Bill o'th'Hoylus End: This bonny little garden! Is fine for perambulators.t Where our handsome servant-lassesl Can wheel our lovely creatures.l And oh! how happy they will bel! As time they are beguiling.l When the mammy and the daddy! Are upon the babies smiling.

56. The Queen's Theatre and Opera House was rebuilt by Edward Darbey in 1889 in brick and stone on the site of an original Arnericanstyle five-storey wooden theatre of 1880. lts gallery seated 1,000, its pit 500, its side circle ZOO and its centre circle 100. A further 300 sat - on chairs imported from Austria - in the pit stalls, and there were six private boxes. The staple fare was melodrama, with titles like 'A Woman's Wrongs', 'False Lights' , 'Passion's Slave', 'Beils of Fate'. This theatre enjoyed a comparatively short life, being superseded in 1900 by one designed by the great theatre architect Frank Mateham. sadly demolished in its turn in 1961.

57. lnns have played an important part in the tewn's social life, none more so than the Queen Street Arms (colIoquially the 'Grinning Rat'), seen here when the late Victorian licensee was Luke Parker, who doubled as a blacksrnith. The Queen Street Arms boasted theatrical connections. When a Keighley Thespian Society was formed in 1848, they met 'in Old Joe Walbank's beer house, later The Grinning Rat' . From 1903 the publican was Jabez Wood, formerly manager of the nearby Queen's Theatre; he was followed by his daughter and son-in-law, Acters would rehearse in a back room, and the inn's nickname may have originated from a company who frequented it while appearing in a play called 'The Grinning Rat' . The Queen Street Arms closed its doors for the last time in 1966.

58. Utley, a mile northward of the town, was developing as a residential suburb when this photograph was taken about 1900. To the old hamIet of Low Utley, and the few bui/dings along the Keighley and Kendal Turnpike Road, had been added a Congregational Chapel (1872) and a Board School (1877); succeeding decades were to fill meadows and hillsides with betterclass dwellings. Here we see solid terraeed housing on the left, substantial detached homes on the higher ground to the right, their gardens still raw; whi/st the adjacent land is ripe for building. Since 1857 Utley had accommodated the town's cemetery - its graves are visible amongst the trees - which doubled as a recreational amenity: before the introduetion of parks, the public took pleasure in 'walking round the cemetery'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek