Keighley in old picture postcards

Keighley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Ian Dewhirst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4594-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keighley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Feil Lane is typical of much of Keighley's late Victorian suburban housing - the population rose from 21,859 in 1861 to 41,564 in 1901. Many of the houses in this area were built by the Keighley Industrial Cooperative Society Limited, whose enterprises in the 1890s included stores, a farm, newsrooms, a restaurant and a pork pie bakery. Knowie Park Congregational Chapel, on the left, had opened in 1897. Postcards like this - prosaic yet graphic- were produced in large numbers by small shopkeepers. Amos Dewhirst had started up as a newsagent, stationer and tobacconist in 1899 in nearby Oakworth Road: a keen photographer, he developed a side-line in local views.

60. üId Stockbridge and the River Aire. The bridge was built in 1671 and widened in 1754 when it carried 'a great and cornrnon high road Ieading between Lancashire and Yorkshire'. It was replaced by a sleeker, straighter ferro-concrete bridge between 1928 and 1930. The rural nature of the hillside beyond - Morton Banks - is deceptive, as the area had been extensively rnined for coal up to the rnid-1800s. When Morton Banks and adjoining Riddiesden were being developed for housing between the wars, advertising brochures painted glowing pictures of the constant sunshine, rich gardens, orchards overflowing with apples, pears and plurns, and superior health of the residents in this desirabie side of town!

61. A laden barge on the wintry Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Riddlesden in the 1920s. Keighley's position in the Aire Gap ensured its proximity to the canal, the Bingley to Skipton stretch of which was completed in 1773 - an event celebrated with 'bonfires, illuminations, and other demonstrations of joy', plus the half-price selling of the first two boat-loads of coal. Such communications were to encourage development during the Industrial Revolution, although Keighley's nearest wharves were at Stockbridge, a rnile out of town. A proposal in 1819 to construct a branch canal into Keighley proper came to nothing - amongst other complications, this would have involved a twelve-arched aqueduct.

62. The southem approach to Keighley railway station in the 1870s, showing on the right a train on the Midland line, which had reached Keighley in 1847, swinging in past the Midland TooI Works. On the left, the Worth VaUey Railway, opened in 1867, runs out past the impressive Low Mill and across the River Worth. Prior to 1883, the railway station (which here lurks unseen in the haze beyond the meeting of the two lines) occupied a site on the farther side of Bradford Raad. At the time of this photograph, Low Mill was operated by worsted spinners and manufacturers J. and J. Craven, who in this and their other factories, Walk MiJl and Dalton MiIIs, employed more than 2,000 people.

63. Keighley station staff in the earlier 1900s, including the lad and the cat, nursed by the railway policeman. The Midland Railway had come to Keighleyin 1847, but the station was re-sited and rebuilt in 1883, in time for the Great Northern Railway which also arrived the following year. For half a century, indeed, Keighley station boasted two sets of staff, the Midland and the Great Northern, which resulted in two boeking-offices until 1934 when the Midland assumed overall responsibility . Together with the Worth Valley branch, this made for a busy station. lts amenities featured both first and second-class waiting-rooms, In 1915 there were nearly 120 train departures every weekday, and 42 on Sundays.

fLfCTRIC ..-,.-WCK·~ 98, j~OI;-. 'i;OHE·BUT-rUT ~ "~~\.,,t:

64. When Keighley's horse-trams were replaced by electricity in 1904, local postcard producer G. Bannister marketed this witty epitaph 'in Affectionate Remembrance of the Keighley Horse-Cars which Succumbed to an Electric Shock'. This photograph illustrates both the spartan conditions in which the drivers worked, and the casual dress of the conductor col!ecting fares on what seems an over-crowded upper deck. At the time of their demise, Keighley's tramcars were drawn by a total of thirty horses, in four shifts. Appealingly, their names have survived. Fourteen were mares: Star, Janet, Nell, Dot, Bell, Oueen, Molly, Kitty, Dinah, Whitelegs, Kendal, Biddy, Susan and Lucy. The restwere: Bob, Major, BilIy, Buck, Sweep, Joss, Prince, Sullivan, Briton, Harry, Hawk, Pilot, Jack, Sam, Mick and Tom. Within four days of electrification, they had al! been auctioned off, together with their harness, six tram-ears and other equipment, for f804.

ßOA.RD OF TRADE INSPECTION.

MAYOR &. eou eILLORS.

65. Changes in public transport have always occasioned commemorative postcards, Here Major W. Pringle and Mr. A. P. Trotter , experts on behalf of the Board of Trade, inspeet the electrified Keighley Corporation Tramways in October 1904, accompanied by the Mayor and Town Councillors. The new service carried 3,589 passengers on its first day - and caused two minor accidents! The cars were made by the Brush Electrical Engineering Company, of Loughborough. Painted in white and crimson livery and originally open-topped, all had covers fitted between 1910 and 1912. Within a few years, Keighley's e!ectric trams were having to compete with motor-buses and tracklesses.

66. A tramcar making one of its final joumeys at Utley in 1924. Keighley Corporation had operated frequent electric tram services between Ingrow, Stockbridge and Utley since 1904, in conjunction with various motorbus routes since 1909 and tracklesses since 1913, but in 1924 the trams were phased out. That summer, between June and August, Skipton Road was reduced to half its normal width during repairs and erection of trolley standards; accordingly, for their last weeks on this route, trams were confined to a single track for both directions- a six-minute journey of ten took twenty. On the right ofthis photograph is the Roebuck Inn, which had served as a terminus since horse-tram days.

67. This Old Bar House stood in Bar House Lane at Utley. Historically, this rural scene is deceptive, for from 1782 to 1825 Bar House Lane served as a portion of the important Keighley and Kendal Turnpike Road, when tolls were collected here. The Old Bar House survived the re-routing of the turnpike along Skipton Road, to become a picturesque but rather less than idyllic dweIling. Surprisingly, the boundary between the Keighley Borough and the Keighley Rural District ran through the middle of this house, necessitating both authorities having to take out demolition orders in 1932.

68. Members of the Keighley Cycling Club pose outside their wooden headquarters in Bradford Road in their early days. Some are wearing their official uniform of 'navy blue with blue and white shoulder straps'. The Keighley Cycling Club was founded in 1884 with the objects of 'drawing together in fellowship the cyclists in the town and district', organising weekly runs and holiday tours. By 1895 they were floating themselves as a limited company, with 150 share-holders; and it says much for their strength and initiative that their members immediately subscribed the capita! for building a handsome new club premises in Cavendish Street. Already, however, they were moving away from simple cycling, for their Cavendish Street club included social, billiards, reading and conversatien-rooms.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek