Keynsham in old picture postcards

Keynsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Barbara J. Lowe and Members of Keynsham and Saltford Local History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2534-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keynsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. In the seventeenth century, the Manor of Keynsham was owned by the Whitmores, a Shropshire family too grand to have used this Manor House (shown above) as their residence. The house could well be earlier Wan 1630, and have been remodelled then, as this date is given on a fireback belonging to the house, and altered again in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

10. This eighteenth century School House was situated at the mouth of Station Road, just north of the Parish Church. It later became the coach house and then the garage of the old Vicarage, seen on the left.

11. Part of this building is visible to the right in the previous photograph. It stood just east of the Parish Church and served as the estate office of a mansion called 'Keynsham Abbey' which bad been built in the middle of the seventeenth century and demolished in 1775-1776. The estate office survived until the middle of the nineteenth century when it was taken down. The central doorway was reconstructed and may still be seen forrning the gateway to 'Park House' in Station Raad.

12. Here we have a scene of the middle-nineteenth century showing the Parish Church fronted with a paved area and fenced walk-way. Early this century the paved area was incorporated into the road, making it 32 feet wider.

13. In this photograph of 1905, the tall chimney to the right of the Church belonged to Keynsham Electric Light Cornpany. The private firm of Parfett Brothers pioneered street electric lighting in Keynsham in the late-nineteenth century between 1880 and 1894, making it one of the first towns in the country to have it.

14. Jim and Sis Bees were bom in a tiny, eight hundred year-old house at Robin's Hili, Compton Dando. Their mother died when they were very young and they used to come to Keynsham each day, presumably to sell produce, whilst their father took milk to Bristol by waggon horse. This photograph of them wearing their 'Sunday Best' was taken in 1911.

15. A view of the junction of High Street, Station Road and Bristol Road at the turn of the century, shows the old Vicarage behind the cart. The Church is behind the wall on the right and the paved area of number 12 has been swallowed up by the road. Down the hill, on the house next to the Vicarage, is a projecting window with stone figure supports. This window and stone fJgures are seen again in numbers 16 and 17. Further down the hilI on the same side is the Wingrove Hotel. West End House (see number 16) is on the extreme left.

16. Known as West End House, this building was ancient in 1828. It stood opposite the west end of the Parish Church and is believed to have been the sixteenth century Hospice of Saint John. The projectlag window had two sculptured stone figures forming supports beneath it and is seen here in its original position. Referting to the picture number 15, it will be noticed that the window had crossed the road! The figures are seen in number 17. The fa├žade of the building has been altered but it still occupies the site. It later became the premises of George S. Chappell, tea merchant and farnily grocer, and later, the International Stores.

11. Fat man and thin man seulptured stone figures, which supported the window shown in number 16, possibly represented siekness and health and onee advertised the Hospiee. (The drawing gives you an impression of that former situation.) The figures now adem a rockery in the garden of a Keynsham bungalow, as you ean see in the two photographs.

18. This picture shows Station Raad looking from the junction seen in picture 15, towards the Station. The houses on the left still exist, but Keynsham by-pass now passes under the raad just beyond the tall, squarish-fronted building on the left (the 'Pioneer Inn'). Behind and immediately to the right of the man on the pavement are two properties far older than the others in the rank. These are seen in number 20.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek