Keynsham in old picture postcards

Keynsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Barbara J. Lowe and Members of Keynsham and Saltford Local History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2534-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keynsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. About half-way along the High Street, stilliooking towards the old Vicarage, one can see the ornate globes on the right which mark the entrance to the Baptist Chapel. Beyend them is the house which was Keynsharn's Post Office for so long. Left, opposite the Post Office, is the Charlton Road junction, then (going from front to back) Watt's Dairy on the corner, next, old cottages on the site of what is now the Fear Institute, a stationers and newsagent and the National Ptovincial Bank.

40. This shows the old Post Office as it was in 1887, decorated in honour of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, with the Postmistress and all the Postmen standing proudly outside. The old village pump can just be seen on the left-hand side. This pump was fed by a spring which originated in what is now Lockingwell Raad.

41. The same building at the turn of the century when it is still the Post Office, but the railings have gone, the windows altered and the position and shape of the post box changed.

420 A photograph taken about 1870, showing Coc. Stokes' (Fami1y Grocer and Baker) delivery carts outside the store which displays the Stokes name above Wyattso The bakehouse was out behind, and the men used to form a chain and pitch the loaves hand to hand out to the carts. The house to the right of the shop was demolished to make way for the erection of Victoria Methodist Church (seen in number 43). The shop, much altered, still exists as a furniture shop.

43. Victoria Methodist Church may still be seen, in use, on the corner where Charlton Road joins the High Street, but it no longer bas a garden and wall in front of it, just a wide, paved area.

44. Mr. and Mrs. Stokes (reference number 42) waiting in their chaise outside the bakehouse at the rear of their shop, on what is now occupied by the Key Centre.

45. Further south along the High Street in the late 1920's, showing, on the left, Hicklings' Ironmongers with Stokes' house and cornfactors shop beyend. The tree marks Victoria Methodist Church and, across the Charlton Road junction, is Watt's Dairy where the first ice-cream in Keynsham was made in the 1920's.

46. This view of the High Street, Iooking south, shows Keynsham's first Picture House (about 1912-1922) which later became St. Keyna Garage. The tall gabled building beyond it was a Methodist Chapel untill912 when it became the offices of the Persian Gulf Ochre Cornpany. Later, it was a factory which manufactured eyelets and then ehest expanders befare becoming Strudwick's Ironmongers. As from February 1983, the restored building has become a branch of a Building Society. The fate of its interesting old iron, spiral fire-escape is not known. The tall building on the right was Loxton's Drapery and on the extreme right is the door of Dr. Hartison's Surgery.

47. Again looking north, about 1910, the tail buildings on the left of the High Street were Loxton's Drapery and Dr. Harrison's Surgery. Loxton's later became Parson's and, later still, the Co-op Drapers Shop. Right was Mr. Rose the bootmakers, where boots were made to measure, and Dr. Harrison would sometimes send a poor boy there and pay for him to have a pair. Beyend that was 'Coffee Rawlings' coffee house. The building jutting out became the Fire Station, and Wilkins' Bakery was next door.

48. This was the view at the junction of High Street and the top of Bath Hili West, in 1918. The Gas Company's octagonal weighbridge was used to weigh coke but was eventually pulled down, and underground public toilets built on the site. The loeal Council is said to have proposed a 'men only', but one noble member stood out for a 'duet affair', and won. What appears to be the remains of the octagonal structure (now roofless) rnay be seen in thegarden of a house in Durley Park. On the left of the picture is the 'Lamb and Lark Hotel' which existed for 225 years before being demolished one Sunday morning in 1970, to make way for yet another supermarket. The shops on the right-hand side are relatively unchanged, only the shop frontages being modernised. What appears to be the Blue Ensign flies over Brownsey's butchers shop, and a lovely old car waits outside the hotel porch whilst pony traps move down the hill.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek