Keynsham in old picture postcards

Keynsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Barbara J. Lowe and Members of Keynsham and Saltford Local History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2534-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keynsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Assembied in the yard of the 'La mb and Lark Hotel' is Keynsham's Fire Brigade of the early 1900's. This shows the horse-drawn appliance which replaced the hand-drawn one kept in the Church porch. The first thing to do in case of alarm was to catch the horse! The seven firemen were: - George Ollis, Charles Wilcox, Fred Ragrove, Sam Pearce and probably William Grace, George Lacy and E. Hicks. Charles Abbot stands at the right. The 'Lamb and Lark Hotel', one of the oldest in Keynsharn, was opened on 21st March 1745 under William Thomas as licencee. Thomas was also an Excise Officer, and the 'Lamb and Lark' continued as an Excise Office into the 1900's. Between 1829 and 1875 it was known as the 'Lamb Hotel'. It was taken over by George's Brewery in 1909, and after many years of success, declined in the 1960's. It was closed down and demolished in 1970.

50. Local children are gathered around the oid weighbridge at the top of Bath Hill, doubtless curious about the Lands End to London march of the National Union ofWomens' Suffrage Societies as it passed through Keynsharn in 1912.

51. This row of shops forrnerly stood at the top of Bath Hili West, south-east of the 'Lamb and Lark Hotel'. They were all demolished in the 1960's and the land on which they stood was grassed over to form the frontage to Keynsham's modern Town Centre. The building on the extreme left was the first Co-operative Society shop in Keynsham and the whole rank was known as 'Cheapside', Behind these buildings was once Keynsham's Market place.

52. This old Court House on Bath Hill West, where the Leet Court of Keynsharn Manor was held during the seventeenth century, was demolished in 1979 despite being a 'Listed Building'. The part abutting upon the pavement was the 'new' part of about 1722. Under the much older rear was acellar said to contain gyve and chains. Before the Police Station was built on Bath Hill East (see number 59), it was Police Station, Court and Prison. In Monmouth's Rebellion (1685), the loeal prisoners to be hanged would have been brought here, hence giving rise to the 'Judge Jeffries stayed here' legend. In the 1930's it was used as a factory for ladies' garters.

53. This group of voters (men only, of course) is seen standing outside the Liberal Club in about 1912. The building was next door to the old Court House (number 52). During Wor1d War II, the Library occupied the top floor (which was also the Urban District Council's meeting place), and the Home Guard headquarters were on the ground floor. later, the Ieft-hand room became the Childrens' Library and the right-hand one the offices of the Keynsham Weekly Chronicle. More recently, it was a restaurant and then shops but is now ernpty.

-e-.

View trom Bath 'mn, Keynsham

54. This is a 1905 view of the bottom of Bath Hili. The house on the left, 'The Springs', was, in the 1880's, first a dairy whose owners washed the milk churns where the spring entered the river there, and later Ollis's Bakery, The loaves of bread were handed out from a little window in the side which opened on to the bridge. Before the bridge (centre) was constructed in 1839, there was a ford across the River Chew close to the house seen jutting out from the right, The building of the bridge and road left this house, 'Flanders House', with its garden below the raad, so a flight of steps had to be built.

55. This was 'Flanders House' which was probably built at the end of the seventeenth century, reputedly for the head of the F1emish brass founders who came here to start the Brass Mills in Keynsharn and hence the name 'Flanders'. The house was supposed to have been haunted by the ghost of one of the housekeepers who drowned herself in the nearby River Chew, when her employer, whom she loved, married someone else. A horseshoe, of the type used by cavalry about 1685, was found lodged in the roof during repairs. It is supposed to have flown off during the battle with the rebels, the turning point of the Rebellion, which started somewhere at the top of the hili and raged up through the village. The area was known as 'Dragon's' or 'Dragoon's Hili'. In 1854, 'Flanders House' was a Ladies' Boarding School run by Carotine Hudden. It was eventually dernolished in the 1960's and the site grassed over.

56. This picture shows the picturesque old Colour Mill in Keynsham Memorial Park, but although the weir still remains, all the buildings have long gone. There was probably a water mill here at the time of the Domesday Book, then a grist mill (called Downe Mill) belonging to Keynsham Abbey, and a fulling mill after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Later, it became a brass mil! and, finally, a colour mil! of the Persian Gulf Ochre Company whose offices were at the old Chapel in the High Street (which later became Strudwick's).

57. The 'Fox and Hounds Inn' as it was about 1906 when the proprietor was F. Down.lt was situated at the bottom of Bath Hill East, not far from the River Chew, but was demolished prior to 1965. On the 1841 Tithe map it appears as an inn with brewhouse, but no earlier documentary evidence has been found. lt was an important local inn as it was associated with the Keynsham Jubilee Friendly Society who met there regularly. The landlord was obliged to 'keep a fire in the Society room at his own expense'. The Feast Day of the Society was Whit Monday and each member had to carry a staff in his hand. A brass pole-head, which once belonged to the Society, is now preserved in the Museum of Rural Life, Reading. The site of the inn is now a rough car park and only 'Fox and Hounds Lane' reminds us that it once existed.

58. Members of the Saint Keyna Tennis Club are here seen at tea. The tennis court and bowling green were on the site of Dragon's Hill Close and were approached through an entrance at the side of the old Pollee Station on Bath Hill East.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek