Keynsham in old picture postcards

Keynsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Barbara J. Lowe and Members of Keynsham and Saltford Local History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2534-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Keynsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. At the junction of Temple Street, Albert Raad and Dapps Hili, we see more 'vanished' buildings, The site has been grassed over. The chapel was Zion, a Primitive Methodist Chapel, known as 'Billy Wiltshite's Chapel'. This was opened in 1861 but in 1958 the worshippers decided to move to a building in Queen's Raad, Keynsham, Elim Pentecostal Church bought and used Zion until1965. It was eventually demolished,

70. This fascinating photograph was taken of the Peace Day Parade, on 19th July 1919, as it marched past the 'Ship Inn' at the southern end of Temple Street. This inn is listed as a beer house on the 1841 Tithe map, but its architecture suggests an eighteenth century building. In the late nineteenth century it is mentioned as the Borough Brewery/Ship Inn, sa, before it was taken over by George's Brewery, it had its own brewhouse.

71. Sketch showing Dapps Hili, leading downhili off the southern end of Temple Street, whieh is reputed to be part of the old road from Bristol to London. Notice the stone posts by the kerbs to prevent earriage wheels damaging the house walls. On the left, the coach-house of 'The Pines' may be seen. 'The Pines' was built about 1880 and had the most beautiful garden, complete with peacocks, stretching down to the River Chew. It became derelict in the 1950's. In the centre of the picture, are Chew Cottages which carry the date 1683. They were badly damaged in the 1968 floods, when water came through at the height of the upstairs windows, but have now been weIl restored. On the right, 'The Bank' is probably the old road up from the bridge and ford.

72. This farm on 'The Bank' continued as a farm until the 1920's. In the 1880's some of itsland was soldoff for the building of Albert Road, and later, Temple School. Gould, Thomas and Company, of the Albert Mil! (see number 76), bought it about 1923 and used the yard and outbuildings for their drysalting and dyewood business and offices. In the late 1960's, the owners, serap-iren merchants, have restored the lower building, the old dairy, as a very pleasant-looking dwelling-house, Iinking weU with the Dapifer's House below.

73. This photograph shows the old Gasometer at Keynsham Gas Works at the bottom of Dapps HUl. The Keynsham Gas Company Limited, was formed in 1857 and went into voluntary Liquidatien in 1928. In the years 1891-1892, the cost to the ratcpavers for lighting fifty street lamps in Keynsham, was .t98-17s-6d. South West Gas still own the site, but the gasometer has long since disappeared although the cottages remain.

74. This shows the bottom of Dapps HilI where the thirteenth century bridge crossed the River Chew. Many old bridges aiong the River Chew were swept away in the floods of 1968, but onIy the parapet of this one was destroyed. It was apparently saved because it was 'hump-backed' and this allowed the main force of water to pass at the sides, On the far side of the bridge, the ancient 'Gooseberry Lane' slopes up to the Wellsway (old Burnet Lane, number 63). The cottages on the right are part of those mentioned in number 71.

75. This was built as a workhouse about 1836-1837 and was known as Keynsham Union. The Union was founded in 1836 and a Board of Guardians formed. Minutes of the meetings of the Board, from 1837 until1930, are preserved in the archives of the Somerset County Record Office at Taunton. Other documents, including Punishment Book, Birth Records, Vaccination Returns, Expenditure Accounts etc., are also preserved there. The building, suitably adapted, is now Keynsham Hospital.

76. This photograph is of Albert Mili on the River Chew near Dapps Hili. There have been rnilis on this site since the time of the Domesday Book. Later, Keynsham Abbey owned a grist rnili here which then becarne a fuiling mill, During the late 1780's there was a cotton rnili and in 1836 a 'newly built' grist rnili was advertised, In the 1870's this was converted to a dye-wood rnili which rernained in business until 1964. The building still exists, but in an increasingly neglected condition. The outside waterwheel is unique in Europe.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek