Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Arnold Kellett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2597-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Knaresborough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Inside the Oldest Chernist's we see rows of bottles containing an impressive variety of chemieals and medicines. Also prominent are several pestles and mortars used for grinding and pulverising. The shop still retains some of these, as weil as a jar labeiled 'Leeches' and the couch where patients were bled and where teeth were extracted. There are also drawers of herbs and drugs labelled in the ancient jargon of the apothecary - and the shop still has an authentie old-world atmosphere and aroma.

... -.-.- _._._-_._._._-.-.- _._-.-.-.-.-_ .. -.- -----.- ,

~ ~

10. Another well-established shop in the Market Place was Holeh's. a heuseheld name for prime quality park pies and sausages. The tradition had been started in the nineteenth century by H. Zisler. George Holch also of German origin, whose firrn had been established in 1866 - moved here from Castlefordjust after the First World War. In this 1920's photograph we see a shop-window . abundantly stocked with sausages, polony, black-pudding, brawn, haslet, pies and joints of park. In the doorway stand Albert Holch and his sister Lena, Albert Holch was not only a successful pork-butcher, but became one of Knaresborough's best-known civic leaders, serving as Chairman of the Urban District Council six times. He was made an Alderman of the Harrogate District in 1974. Albert Holch also served as Chairman of the Governors of King James's School from 1956 until his death in 1977. There is a pleasant garden in Gracious Street dedicated to his memory.

11. The market also spilled over into the High Street, especially on Mondays, when there was a regular live-stock market. Taken in 1905 this postcard shows a typical flock of geese for sale. Because of the distances they were driven to market the geese were all shod. This postcard was printed for Southwell (late Thornpson), the chemist's in front of which the ladies are standing. Southwell's sold their own make of Liver Mixture, Liquorice and Honey Remedy, 'Vital' Brain and Nerve Tonic and Foot Rot Specific (for sheep),

12. Looking up High Street we see cattle, not being driven through, but part of the mark et which occupied the town's principal thoroughfare once a fortnight. The eattle were obviously a considerable nuisance, causing obstruction and pollution. In 1866 the Improvement Commissioners arranged for High Street to be washed down at the end of eaeh cattle-market, but a permanent site was not found untill9รป7. On the right is Bradiey's confectioner's, a reeeiving offiee for the Jubilee Steam Laundry. Under the lamp is a policeman, and in the background to the left we canjust make out the Crown Hotel with its large street-clock.

Xnaresborougf.

13. A quiet Edwardian scene looking up High Street, showing the strip of cobbles on each side, On the extreme right is Dearlove's Repository, which, amongst other things, provided clothes for funerals and mourning. Just under the prominent gable on the left is the inn-sign of the 'Eugene Aram", so named because it stood at the entrance to White Horse Yard (now called Park Square) where Aram, the schoolrnaster-murderer, once had a little school. The inn is now occupied by the Britannia Building Society.

14. William Parr's in its strategie position in High Street, at the corner leading to the Market Place. During the fust half of this century this was Knaresborough's best-known shop for newspapers, books and stationery. There were also show-rooms displaying leather and fancy goeds, pens, porcelain, pictures, wirelesses and cameras, and a popular lending library.

15. The interior of Parr's Borough Printing Works in 1927. Here for several decades most of the local guide-books were printed, as weU as the annual Knaresborough Almanack. The fust appeared in 1858 when it was published by the predecessors of Parr's, the [urn of A.W. Lowe, which proclaimed in 1895 that it was 'the Original Stationer's Shop, established nearlya Century'. Though Parr's took over the Almanack and other local publications from Lowe's, William Parr had printed his first handbook as early as 1848.

16. In Kirkgate (No. 21) was Knaresborough's first fish-and-chip shop, opened in 1880. At the time it was also the on1y shop in Knaresborough to sell dressed tripe, as well as cow-heel, home-made pickles and mineral water. For much of the fish-shop's existence fish cost twopence and chips a penny. In the doorway are Mrs. Mary Ann Holdsworth and her daughter Polly, Another daughter, Beaty, worked here till the shop closed down during the Second World War; then with her husband, George Preston, opened a fish-and-chip shop higher up Kirkgate at No. 17.

17. Lower down Kirkgate is the Knaresborough Working Men's Club. According to Bill Pullan, one of the first committee members, the Working Men's Club had its origins in the Soldiers and Sailors Club, which was formed early in the First Wor1d War and met higher up Kirkgate at No. 6. After the war this became the Trades and Labour Club and moved to the present premises in 1925. This photograph was taken the following year and shows on the back row (left to right): N. Rhodes, W. Rumfitt, 1. Cliffe, E. McEvoy, A. Holmes and D. Steele. Middle row (seated): J.W. Dobson, J.E. Dobson, E. Cosgrove and (?) Fletcher. Front row: J. Tremble, W. Baker, C. Holmes, S. Broadbelt and J. Horseman. At this time Knaresborough also had a Conservative and a Liberal Club and several Friendly Societies, such as the Oddfellows (1820) and the Ancient Order of Foresters (1837). There were also clubs for cricket, football, bowls, golf, tennis, angling and shooting, as well as Scouts, Guides and choral societies.

18. This photograph was taken in September 1871, and is of special interest because it shows the Parish Church of St. John, with the roof at the lower level, before the restoration which was completed in 1872. We can also see the railway viaduct, built only twenty years previously, already blending in with the scenery. The notice on the gable-end reads 'Sand sold here', and in the foreground is a dredger used for extracting sand from the River Nidd.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek