Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Arnold Kellett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2597-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Knaresborough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Compare this lovely view with the previous one and you will see that the church roof is at its present height, evidence that the photograph was taken no earlier than 1872. This idyllic scene shows unspoilt Waterside, viewed from the then quiet High Bridge. The row of low cottages in the left foreground were the old Almshouses, unfortunately demolished when the Claro Laundry was built here in 1902.

20. The view of K.naresborough best known to visitors, who for centuries have gazed in admiration from Castle Hili at the town rising in picturesque tiers above the Nidd, with the Parish Church attractively set in the midst. Prominent also is the viaduct, completed in 1851, and in recent years described by Niklaus Pevsner as one of the most notabie railway crimes of England. But most of us think it enhances the view. When J.B. Priestley saw it he greatly admired the architectural style and commented: The bridge gave a double beauty to the scene. The graceful, omamented arches were clearly reflected in the water. On the right we can see Gallon Steps, leading from Waterside to Kirkgate and the railway station. They were named after Mr. R.N. Gallon, whose house was at the top.

21. The Parish Church as it looked after the 1872 restoration, still surrounded by a vast area of tombstones. Most of these were removed when the churchyard was landscaped and re-ordered in 1973, and although there were protests at this radical sweeping away of history, the church gairied a spacious setting of green turf. The tower has Norrnan foundations dating from about 1100, but is mostly late twelfth century, with a top storey added in the fourteenth century, and a unique miniature spire, probably added early sixteenth century. Here we view the church from the west end, which was rebuilt during Queen Philippa's restoration in 1343.

22. A rare view of the bells of Knaresborough Parish Church, a fine peal of eight, originally installed in 1774 during the incumbency of the Reverend Thomas Collins who was Vicar from 1735 to 1788. Thebells were made by Peake and Chapman of London at a cost of thirteen pence a pound. As the total weight was more than 76 hundredweight this came to f.462. 3s. with additional expense for wharfage, shipping freight and insurance and 'Half the expense of a man from London to hang the bells', Each bell has an inscription (e.g, 'Such wondrous powers to music's given, It elevates the soul to Heaven'). There is a long tradition of ringing the bells on Tuesday evening (still the time for beil-ringing practice) which was started in order to guide visitors to the town on the eve of market day. This picture was taken in October, 1925, after the bells had been re-cast. On the left is the Vicar, Canon H.L. Ogle, and the Parish Clerk, MI. Charles Inman,

23. The organ of the Parish Church, fust played at the Harvest Festival services on the 22nd October, 1894. It cost more than a thousand pounds and was built by Binns of Bramley, who used material fr om the two earlier organs. The fine organ-case was presented by Basil Woodd, M.P. of Conyngham Hall, in 1897. The organ, pumped by hand until electricity was installed in 1929, is seen here in the south transept. The present organ was substantially rebuilt in 1955 and is situated in the north transept, with a detached console.

24. The Choir of Knaresborough Parish Church in a photograph taken in 1916, a fact confirmed by the war-time posters displayed on the notice-board, The organist and choirmaster was Mr. William Elbourne, the only gentleman on the front row without a moustache. He later worked as a cinema organist in Harrogate, and then took holy orders. The man on the extreme left is Mr. Knibbs, the churchwarden, and of the choirboys we might just mention the one standing on the right of the men sitting on the front row - Arthur Mann. He remembers this photograph being taken, because it was bis very fust day as achoirboy.

25. This old row of houses, now demolished, was known as 'Parsonage', because at the top was the site of the thatched building known as the OId Parsonage, which stood just to the west of the entrance to the Parish Church. This was part of the ancient parish of Beechill, a prebend producing tithes for the Archbishop of York. Property as old as this certainly required extensive renovation, but if conservationist policies had prevailed old-world streets like Parsonage could have been saved.

26. These thatched cottages once stood in Water Bag Bank at the bottom of Kirkgate. Boy Scouts, in the old-style uniform soon after Baden-Powell's launching of the movement in 1907, are standing in front of the humbie birth-place of Lord Inman of Knaresborough, bom here in 1892. In his early years Philip Inman was closely associated with the Parish Church just opposite. He aften recalled helping his mother to scrub the gravestones clean at two shillings a time. He also became a choirboy here at the age of six, and later sang the solo at Queen Victoria's memorial service.

27. Philip Inman at the age of eighteen. His working life had so far consisted of delivering papers for Parr's, washing bott1es and delivering medicine for the Oldest Chemist's Shop and delivering boots and shoes for a Harrogate firm. Eventually he was to work for Charing Cross Hospital, where he remained for sixty-six years - as Secretary and later as Chairman and then lifePresident. He was created a peer in 1947 for bis service to the public, which included chairrnanship of the BBC, founding the Tourist Board, and running British Rail catering. Lord Inman died in 1979.

$nares601'oug n

28. This postcard view looks down from the tower of the Parish Church. We see part of the churchyard on the left, then Water Bag Bank and lower Kirkgate and the rai1way viaduct. Although the viaduct dates from 1851 it was almost completed in 1848, when it collapsed into the river. This second, very stable, structure has become an accepted and essential part of Knaresborough's scenery. It was designed in the office of Thomas Grainger, consulting engineer to the Leeds and Thirsk Railway, and built by a railway contractor called George Wilson, with a gang of 270 workmen.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek