Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Arnold Kellett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2597-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Knaresborough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. An early view of Castie Mill and the weir across the Nidd. The weir was constructed in 1765 to provide water for the town and also to power a warer-wheel for a paper-mill. Castle Mill was built in 1791, originally as a cotton-mill, but soon adapted to deal with the locally-grown flax, First mentioned in Tudor times the spinning of flax and the weaving of linen was Knaresborough's first industry, carried out in separate cottages until it was concentrated in Castle Mill. In the early nineteenth century there were more than a hundred workers, mostly women, and children from the age of ten. The firm of Walton and Co. took over Castle Mill in about 1847, and by 1851 were employing 423 workers, including 272 men.

30. This card shows the remarkable linen shirt woven entirely without seam on a hand-loom at Cast1e Mills by George Hemshall. In 1851 it won an award at the Great Exhibition in London. The linen woven in Knaresborough was of such quality that Walton's became suppliers to the royal household. Tea-tewels designed for Balrnoral, Sandringharn etc., can be seen in the Old Courthouse Museum, as well as this seamless shirt.

31. A glimpse of linen being woven in Cast1e Mill on a Hattersley loom. Within living memory sixty or so weavers started their day at 6 a.m. and sometimes worked until 6 p.m. Knaresborough's long-standing industry is now a thing of the past. Walton's ceased to manufacture linen in 1972, but the firm continued as linen merchants here until they were compelled to leave in 1983, when the Harrogate District Council sold Cast1e Mills for private residential development.

32. The Old Manor House as it appeared before the restoration made by R.F. Roundell, M.P. for Skipton, whose family had been connected with Knaresborough since the fifteenth century. His restoration gave it the artificial timbered look of mock Tudor, but the present chequered appearance is more in keeping with the early style we see here. One of the oldest houses in Knaresborough, the Manor House, pleasantly situated on the river bank, is said to have been a hunting lodge of King J ohn. There is some evidence that Oliver Cromwell slept here, and the fire-place in the Oak Room bears the date 1661. Once familiar to visitors as 'Ye Old Manor House Café and Gardens', it is now a private residence.

33. Opposite the Old Manor House on rising ground at the foot of Water Bag Bank stands a dwelling of great antiquity, Manor Cottage. This is the only surviving thatched cottage in Knaresborough, but documents show that thatch was once a common form of roofing in the town, and the sight of thatchers at work would once be typical. Water Bag Bank, one of Knaresborough's very few remaining cobbled streets, derives its name from the fact that the tewn's water-supply used to be carried up here in leather bags slung across the back of horses and donkeys. The horsework was supplemented by women who carried water in pails at a half-penny a time. The water, of course, came from the River Nidd, a great convenience to the inhabitants - especially in the sense that they also poured their sewage into it - higher up the river!

34. A rare photograph of Queen Victoria's Jubilee Celebrations, June 1887. Knaresborough's cobbled Market Place is thronged with a complete cross-section of the community, their spirits not apparently dampened by the drizzle, This view is also interesting because of the shops we can just make out in the background. From left to right we have Dinsdale's family grocers (trading here from 1849 to 1965), then Styan's, bookseller and stationer, Frank Brown's grocery, and William and James, cash clothing stores. There would also be a crowd for the opening of the Queen Victoria Jubilee Fountain near High Bridge, to which water was pumped from the sulphur well near Bilton Hall. At 12 noon on the 21st June, 1887 a royal salute was fired from the Russian gun in the Castle Grounds.

35. A Knaresborough shop as it looked in 1898. William Wheelhouse sold sweets, chocolate and tobacco, as weil as ale and porter. The shop was at the end of Church Lane, conveniently situated to carry the advert for H.M. and J. Dobson 'Funeral Undertakers' of Cheapside. The ladies in sober black are Mrs. Sarah Wheelhouse, and her daughter Florence. Now a restaurant, this building was an off-licence shop until very recently.

36. A late nineteenth century view of the beginning of Abbey Road. By the entrance to the quarry is a picturesque gas-lamp, a reminder that Knaresborough was one of the first towns in the country to have its own gas supply, with the street gas-larrips lit at the surprisingly early date of the 13th September 1824. By 1841 there were 94 gas-lamps, the responsibility of John Malam, the engineer who built the gas-works. By 1864 there were 129 gas-lamps in the town.

ABBEY ROAD. K ÀRESBOROUGH.

37. A slightly later view of the beginning of Abbey Raad, showing the Star Inn and the firm of W. Horsman, 'Waal and Rug Manufacturer'. Abbey Raad has for long been the name in popular use, though it led, not to an abbey, but to a priory, the Trinitarian House of St. Robert. Nothing of this remains except a few remnants of mediaeval masonry built into a wall and a gable end at the house called 'The Priory', much further aIong.

38. Popularly but incorrectly known as 'St. Robert's Chapel' this is actually the Chapel of Our Lady of the Crag, adjacent to the House in the Rock. Carved out of the magnesian timestone by John the Mason in 1408, this is the third oldest wayside shrine in Britain. The figure guarding the entrance with drawn sword is thought to be a Knight TempIar. It was certainly elaborated during the nineteenth century, because the earliest engravings show a simpler figure, without moustache. St. Robert had no conneetion with this shrine, but lived nearly a mile further along Abbey Road in a cave, where he died in 1218. This view was sent to London on the 21st August 1907 with the comment: 'Thought you would like this uncommon p.c.'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek