Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Arnold Kellett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2597-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Knaresborough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

0;1 the Nidd bel ow Knaresbcroug h

39. The beautiful banks of the Nidd, near the site of St. Robert's Priory, which explains the name of Abbey Raad - visible just to the right. The Priory was started by Trinitarian Friars in 1252, not long after the death of St. Robert. The principal work of the Friars was the collecting of money to pay the ransom of prisoners captured in the crusades. This scene would be familiar to the hermit Robert Flower, who had such a reputation as a holy-man and worker of healing miracles that he was even visited by King John. It was na doubt Robert's concern to help the paar and prisoners that inspired the building of the priory.

40. The oid Cave Cottage which used to stand near the far end of Abbey Road opposite the way down to St. Robert's Cave. Here it was possible to borrow the key to see the riverside cave which had housed the thirteenth century hermit, and which was also well-known in Victorian times as the place where the schoohnaster Eugene Aram had murdered and buried the shoemaker Daniel Clark in 1745.

41. A gathering at the top of Briggate, where Gracious Street begins. Although the spire of the Congregational Chapel (1864) can be seen on the right, this is a group of Methodists connected with the Town Mission Hall in Briggate - a building which later becarne the rain-eoat factory. At this period - the early 1900's - the Mission held services at 3 and 7 p.m. on Sundays, and was doing valuable social work amongst the poor and needy.

42. A cart-load of happy children about to set off on an outing organised by the Town Mission, probably to their favourite picnic spot at Preston Bottoms, near Lingerfield. The cart was on loan from a Harrogate building contractor called Linskill. The gentleman in the 'benjie' straw-hat is Mr. Heath Morland, a well-known character, active in Knaresborough both as an evangelist and social worker. Before his conversion he had apparently led a wild, anti-social life, but he was transformed into the leading light of the Town Mission, working hard to help the underprivileged. For example, he regularly took supplies of soup to the poor in the cottages further down Briggate, and would occasionally bring horne some filthy down-and-out for a good soak in hot water in the tin bath at his fire-side.

... ._-

GRACIOUS STREET K'-ARES80ROUG'1

43. Gracious Street, half a century before it became a busy thoroughfare, with a solitary little Jowett car instead of the present-day stream of vehic1es. The name 'Gracieus' seems appropriate and once it was written 'Grace Church Streef. Close by are three churches - Holy Trinity, the Congregational Chapel (now the United Reformed) and the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. However, the name 'Gracieus' is probably derived from the Anglo-Saxon for 'houses on a ditch', because the town's open sewer once ran along here,

44. Gracious Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel built in 1868 on land given by Isaac Holden, Liberal M.P. for Knaresborough. The adjacent 1815 chapel is still used as a Sunday School, but this Victorian building, with a large gallery and a seating capacity of eight hundred, was pulled down and replaced by a small modern church in 1975. This great building, 'in the Italian style of considerabie ornamentation' with elaborate plaster-work, and a fine mahogany pulpit, cost .0,000, and was designed by a local architect, J ohn Child.

?

Knaresbro' Circuit, 1907.

45. Gracious Street Chapel was (and still is) the head of the Knaresborough Circuit, the area of country chapels which once extended as far as Bardsey to the south and Nun Monkton to the east. These chapels were served by a band of local preachers, seen here in 1907. Each Sunday they rode out to the surrounding villages on horse-back, with a horse provided free, unless it was under seven miles, in which case they aften walked there and back. These tough circuit-riders were carrying on the tradition of preaching the Gospel which had been initiated by John Wesley, who fust came to Knaresborough in 1742. During one visit his sermon was interrupted by a roaring dronk. On another occasion, when he preached in the assembly room in Savage Yard, he remarked 'that the congregation looked wild enough when they came in, but they were tarne befare they went out'.

46. The Sunday School Anniversary at Gracieus Street Wesleyan Chapel in 1921, with the children 'sitting up', having presenred their recitations and songs in a typical dernonstration. There was a much larger Sunday School than these numbers suggest. In the previous century the Methodists also ran an important day school at Gracieus Street.

Pärr , Prtuter, Knaresböröuz h

KNARESBOROUGH, HOLY TRINITY CHURCH ANO VICARAGE.

47. The prominent landmark of Holy Trinity Church, situated just off Gracious Street. Not only is it situated at the top of the town, but has a tall spire of 166 feet, which dwarfs that of the Parish Church - a modest 81 feet. Holy Trinity was consecrated by the Bishop of Ripon in 1856. This view, taken around 1900, also shows the vicarage. The church cost !2,800,"and was built partly to relieve the crowded Parish Church. In 1851 a census of churchgoers in Knaresborough recorded 2,047 Anglicans, 843 Methodists, 227 Congregationalists, 105 Baptists and 250 Roman Catholics.

48. Blind Jack, as John Metcalf was usually known, is Knaresborough's most famous historical character. Born in 1717 he went to school at the age of four, but when six years old he was blinded by smallpox, Yet he took part in almost every normal activity, becoming an expert horseman, swimmer and a guide, whose services were much in demand during fog and at night time. From the age of fifteen he played the fiddle for the Spa visitors in High Harrogate, mainly at the Royal Oak (now the Granby) from where he eloped with the landlord's daughter. He also served as musician to the Knaresborough Volunteers who fought Bonny Prince Charlie in 1745, and later made bis name as a pioneer of road-building, For many years the viameter he used was on display in the Castle. (It is now in the Old Courthouse Museum.) Blind Jack of Knaresborough died in 1810 in his 93rd year at his daughter's horne in Spofforth. He left behind four children, twenty grandchildren and ninety great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek