Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Arnold Kellett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2597-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Knaresborough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. In the old days Knaresborough was essentially a town of little shops, such as this one at the top of Briggate, on a site which is now the Wellington car-park, Here we see Mrs. Emilie King in the doorway of her grocer's and baker's, The enamelled tin-plate adverts are typical, and appear in many photographs taken in the early decades of the century. Mrs. King also sold stockings she had knitted, ginger-beer, sweets, chocola te, cigarettes - and 'ovenbottom cakes', sold hot and used by workmen for their sandwiches.

50. Knaresborough Fire Brigade in the 1890's. These dependable-looking men, all volunteers, received no wages except what might be paid out by an insurance company. It was not until about 1920 that each flreman was paid an official!2 a year. There were about ten firemen, usually slaters, plumbers, joiners, blacksmiths, whitesmiths and other appropriate trades. From 1860 the fire service was the joint responsibility of the Inprovement Commissioners, local insurance companies and the water company, with the Town Surveyor automatically appointed Captain. Here we see (back row, from left): T. Hurren, J. Hoy, George Wilson (Captain), C. Luty, T. Lund (Waterman) and A. Mason. Front row: R. Coates, Major R.H. Gill, D.S.a., and J. Jennings. Alas, we do not know the name of the winsome little boy. The fire-engine later had the date 1774 added, It is still in perfect working order and can be seen in the Museum, along with some of these buckets. The brigade used to be summoned by a bell behind the Borough Bailiff, where the fire-engine was kept, then later by the Town Hall bell, with the engine in the Drill Hall, Chapel Street. This fine photograph was taken by Mr. G.E. Arnold, who was also a well-known musician, organist and piano-tuner.

51. The Knaresborough Traders' Procession was a popular feature of the early 1900's, usually taking place in June. Here we see various decorated carts passing through the Market Place, led by the gigantic Push Ball, which was to be used in a contest that evening. At the left-hand corner are the Leeds Dining Rooms, with a notice (under the window-blind) describing this as 'The noted café for cyclists'. Just outside is a group of suffragettes with their banner bearing the familiar demand 'Votes for Wamen'. Other photographs - toa faded to reproduce - show that these processions included all kinds of imaginative displays, provided not only by traders but by the Fire Brigade and the Silver Band - and the town blacksmith. This could perhaps be seen as a forerunner of the present-day Bed Race.

52. Staff and pupils of King James's Grammar School in 1903. Behind the group is the building into which the school had moved in 1901 (now part of the present King James's School) when it had been opened by Lord Harewood. Before this date the school had continuously occupied thc site near the Parish Church, where it was founded by the Reverend Dr. Robert Chaloner in 1616. The head-master seen here, moustached and bespectacled, is MI. H.J. Tyack-Bake, who had been appointed in 1896 on a salary of !IDD per annum. He modernised the curriculum, improved academie standards and ruled the boys with the sternest discipline. His beatings were frequent and ferocious, delivered by three dreaded canes, which the boys nicknamed 'Aunt Jane', 'Aunt Jemima' and 'Caligula', No wonder the expression on these faces shows na hint of anybody being amused.

53. The Proclamation of the Accession to the throne of George V on the 12th May 1910 in Knaresborough Market Place. In the background we can see the Old Royal Oak, Jackson's the butcher's, and the Market Hotel. Standing on the steps of the market cross, surmounted by the famous gas-lamp, are councillors and officials, one of whom is reading the proclamation. In front of them are members of the Silver Band and several helmeted policemen. The crowd would not forget this historie occasion. It marked the end of the Edwardian era.

54. The Coronation Festivities, the 22nd June, 1911. The crowded Market Place is bright with flags and bunting, and ladies in their colourful bonnets. Even the gas-lamp is garlanded, and just to the right of it the magnifying glass reveals a gentleman with a moustache (perhaps the Chairman of the Urban District Council) whose arm is raised - presumably to call for acheer for the newly-erowned King George V.

55. Another scene from the 1911 Coronation Celebration. Looking up High Street we see the beginning of a procession led by soldiers - probably from the local company of volunteers forming part of the West Yorkshire Regiment, whose headquarters were the Oddfellows Hall. Further back, under the trees which must have obscured Knaresborough House, we can just make out the Silver Band.

56. Only three years after the Coronation the country was plunged into the Great War, which was to bring untold grief to families in Knaresborough, as in all other towns, In this 1917 photograph we see some of the Knaresborough Volunteers marching down Pump Hili, at the bottom of High Street, to a memorial service in the Parish Church. The fust Knaresborough Territorial to be lost in the First World War was Private Walter Malthouse. killed in action on the 9th May 1915, aged twenty-one.

57. The original War Memorial, in its appropriate and spectacular setting in the Castle precincts, near the edge of the crag, overlooking the weir and Castle Mill. Unfortunately this position meant that it was exposed to the wind and weather, and in the early 1930's a freak storm blew off this elegant top part of the cenotaph. A replacement was again blown down in February 1956 and before February 1962, but this present stubbier version stands secure, and each Remembranee Sunday a crowd gathers here to pay homage to the Knaresborough men who lost their lives in two World Wars. On the brass plaques - lovingly restored by Mr. Walter Whorley - are recorded the names of 156 killed in the 1914-1918 War and 52 killed in the 1939-1945 War. The inscription in stone reads: 'Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.'

58. This nicely composed view reminds us that the Nidd has been popular for boating and punting since early Victorian days. On the right we see Sturdy's well-known beat-landing, started by Mr. Richard Sturdy (1837-1913) of Richmond House around the middle of the nineteenth century. Before this, boats had not been used in large numbers and only two or three were on hire from a Mr. Blewit, a custodian of the Castle. This stretch of safe water is ideal for boating because there is a variety of picturesque scenery, and the extent is limited by the weir downstream, and the rocks and rapids upstream. The boats were later taken over by Billy Henry, then sold to the Harrogate District Council in 1965.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek