Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Arnold Kellett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2597-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Knaresborough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. The Sturdy family not only hired out boats, but also built them. In this rare photograph of boat-building in Knaresborough, taken around 1914, we see Frank Sturdy, son of the firrn's founder, working on one of the early boats, Frank had learnt his trade in York, and had just taken on an apprentice, George Smith, at the age of twelve years eight months. George's work-bench was near the grandfather doek. The latter is still owned by a member of the Sturdy family, and was made by Fothergill of Knaresborough in 1780.

60. Same of the boats and canoes built by the firm of Sturdy's can be seen here awaiting customers, The small building like a sentry-box was used for storing aars. The boats were stored for the winter in the old dye-house at the bottom of Gallon Steps. The notice on the right reads 'Ferry to the Dropping Well', with the word 'Penny' in srnall letters, lt is interesting to see the large private house with creepers, In 1926 this was pulled down and rebuilt as Shipley's 'Riverside Café and Tea Gardens', with a shop selling sweets, ice-cream and fancy goods, Until 1945 this was a meeca for visitors. Shipley's made their own ice-cream, which is still remembered for its fine quality.

61. 'When a Penny Ferry cost Sixpence' is the title given to this photograph sent as a postcard to George Smith in 1913, when he was a boy of eleven, werking as a ferryman. Here he is seen rowing across a party of five visitors. The sixth man refused to trust himself to so young a ferryman, and stayed on shore to take this picture. When he later realised how far round he would have to walk to reach his friends he finally asked George to take him across. The lad refused, pointing out that his competence had been questioned. However, he finally agreed to take him for sixpence - a considerable sum in 1913!

P NNV' DROPPI G PHGTC SEN

D ·D

OG'SI i 1TJo. b

S9 t-e -t ~ ÜI~J

G. 'W ..? S~

l '- 9'6 DËRBY

RRY wE FROM

TC

c

62. The World's End inn as it appeared until its replacement by the present building in about 1898. This picture is of special interest because it shows that the licensee was Charles Blenkhorn, who in the notice on the gable-end of the inn offers 'Good Stabling' and also 'Pleasure boats for hire', Blenkhorn's boats near High Bridge complemented those of Sturdy's under the Castle. Charles Blenkhorn and his sister also served as Knaresborough postrnasters.

HIGH BRIDGE PRIVATE HOTEL AND DI:-.II:--<G ROO:vrS, K~ARESBRO·.

c. Blenkhorn, Propristor

63. This postcard shows Blenkhorn's boat-landing with New Century Dining Rooms, so named because they were opened in 1900 at the beginning of the twentieth century, built next to High Bridge on the site of an orchard, The High Bridge Private Hotel was opened in 1906. Whereas Sturdy's were licensed for 140 boats, Blenkhorn's had only 90. Even so, this provided considerable competition, a fact reflected in Sturdy's adverts in 1900, which started: 'At the bottom of Cast1e Bank. Note the situation.'

r(·-·aresborolJgh. f oi.se Sca' Café.

64. The houseboat 'Marigold', owned by the Riley sisters, was a familiar sight at the beginning of the century. Though it occasionally sailed up and down the river, for most of its life it was a café, moored between the Sturdy landing-stage and Castle Mill and connected to Waterside by a substantial gang-way. In this happy Edwardian scene we see guests in the upper deck and three smart waitresses outside the kitchen on the lower deck. This popular houseboat café, which appears in several postcards of the period, sank in the early 1920's - and with it went sornething of Knaresborough's colourful past.

65. Knaresborough's annual Water Carnival is described in this old card as 'England's Unique Water Pageant'. The most spectacular part was at night when Brock's provided a lavish fireworks display. The colours in this picture give some indication of the fantastic scene. The fire raining down from the top of the viaduct represented Niagra Falls, and sometimes lasted for fifteen minutes. To the left is the illuminated Fairy Castle, with a troupe of forty dancers, and a brass band plays on the upper deck of the houseboat. Asearchlight positioned in the 'Nanny-goat hole' just below the Cast1e (now a shelter), and powered by a generator in Castle Mill, picked out various characters in costume, inc1uding Mother Shipton, who according to the 1899 programme 'sumrnoned the Procession of Illuminated Boats in front of the Mother Swan and her brood, driven by the Fairy Queen of the Carnival' .

66. Postcards of the Water Carnival are rare, mainly because photographs had to be taken at night. Here we see some of the dancing girls - a group from Wetherby - with their tambourines. They were performing in front of the Fairy Castle, which was built in the grounds of the Dropping Well estate. We can also make out some of the Chinese lanterns with which the whole area was decorated. The audience crowded Waterside, especially around Sturdy's landing, and all the way up to the Castle, from where they enjoyed the lavish firework displays and the illuminated boats and trees, all brilliantly reflected in the river.

67. The Carnival Queen and her retinue on a sumptuously-decorated boat in a Water Carnival in the 1930's. The expert responsibie for this and so many other decorated boats and floats for Knaresborough's carnivals and galas was Mr. Jim KeU. Although there have been revivals as recently as 1958, oid Knaresborians will tell you that the hey-day of the Water Carnival was undoubtedIy before the First World War.

68. Knaresborough Silver Band started life as the Volunteer Band, formed in about 1879, though the first outdoor concert in the Castle Yard was not given until the 30th May 1895. Later known as the Prize Band, then the Brass Band and finally the Silver Band, it made an important contribution to all kinds of public occasions. Here we see the band in 1930 when a complete set of new instruments had been purchased. They were: 8 cornets, 2 flugel horns, 3 tenor horns, 2 baritone horns, 2 euphoniums, 3 trombones, 2 bombardons (tenor tubas), 2 'monsters' (base tubas), a side drum and a base drum. Each 'monster' co st :1:38, but would now cost weil over :1:3,000. At this time the conductor was James Watson and the band-room was at the rear of the George and Dragon, where band practice is still held on Monday evenings.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek