Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Knaresborough in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Arnold Kellett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2597-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Knaresborough in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Low Bridge aad Mother Shipton Inn, Kuaresborough.

69. Low Bridge, enlarged in 1779, with the site of the old ford in the foreground. On the right is Bridge House (1745) and on the left the Mother Shipton Inn, which is at least seventeenth century. This used to be the main route into Knaresborough before Harrogate was developed. Low Bridge was originally known as March Bridge, from the oid word for a boundary.

70. The Mother Shipton Inn, also known as the Dropping WeIl. Above the door was a copper inn-sign, believed to date from the eighteenth century, displaying a representation of Mother Shipton. This used to be the main entrance to the Dropping WeIl estate, which was for centuries in the possession of the Slingsby family, until it was sold in 1915.

11. The Dropping WeU was fust described in the reign of Henry VIII by John Leland, who wrote in 1540: a Welle of a wonderfut nature, caullid Droping Welle. .. whatsoever ys cast in or growith about the Rokke and is touched of this Water, growith into Stone. Strictly speaking, objects are not petrified or actually turned into stone, but receive a calcareous deposit or impregnation which makes thern rock-hard. This view shows an Edwardian gentleman adrniring the overhanging rock. Perhaps he is wondering if it is top-heavy enough to collapse. It had already done so in 1104, 1816 and 1823. In order to prevent too heavy a deposit forrning, the surface is now scraped every six weeks.

jYfofqer Shipfoq

woma q

a qd k qew

a gooa

place,

(]ome

try

72. Mother Shipton - in spite of her perennial popularity is a semi-legendary figure, and we have no historica! evidence concerning either her birth or her appearance. The earliest version of her prophecies, printed in 1641, shows an ordinary-looking Tudor woman. By the end of the seventeenth century illustrators of her prophecies had given her a witch-like appearance. This postcard shows how she was viewed in the Victorian period. This is a novelty card, and the portrait opens up to reveal a neatly-folded version of Mother Shipton's rhymed prophecies.

73. Mother Shipton's Cave, where the prophetess is reputed to have been born in 1488. Her maiden name is said to have been Southiel and her later name derived from her marriage to Tobias Shipton of Vork, where she lived for most of her life. It is easy to understand how this sinister cave next to the mysterious petrifying well has come to be regarded as the birthp1aee of a witch-like prophetess - but this is popu1ar faney with no historical basis whatever.

C.a:r;.ages without horses will Co,

Ar-.4 Acciden:.s fill the wodod with ??. oe. Around the world tholChts lohAll ßy

11'1 tt-.c twinlelin;. of Ion eye.

, T~JOl.lgh hills ma.n sh.aJl nëe,

And no eerse 0( ?. u x by h,s J.i<.e. Un<.er weter ITKn lo~lll wille,

ShalJ nde, ShAU sleep, ShAlI tAlk. In tbe Ai, men shoiJl tie seen,

Ir:. white, in bla.c:lr.. in green.

Iron in IM wil:et ShAII ftOAt

As eASY as A WQOCkn boal,.

Fi.!l: &nod watee $hAll more wondea Co : [ncllnd lohAl: At l.ast Admit A Je ??.?..

74. This rare 1905 postcard depiets Mother Shipton sitting outside her cave and surveying some of the things she is alleged to have prophesied. Although she seems to have successfully predicted the downfall of Cardinal Wolsey, many of her well-known prophecies were fabricated by a Brighton bookseller who confessed in 1873 that he had made up such rhymed predictions as those shown here - iron ships, travel by air, and railway tunnels. Lord Beaconsfield (Benjamin Disraeli) is shown because she was supposed to have said: 'England shall at last admit a Jew.' The best-known lines 'Then the world to an end shall come, In Eighteen Hundred and Eighty One' (later revised to 1981, then 1991) are part ofthe nineteenth century fabrication.

75. The official opening of the Fysche Hall playing fields on the 2nd September, 1929 by Lady Evelyn Collins, O.B.E., J.P., who later became Chairman of Knaresborough Urban District Council and Chairman of the Governors of King James's School. With her is Councillor Robert Holmes. The spelling Fysche is a comparatively recent attempt to recapture the old English form, and is unfortunate because it has altered the pronunciation. In the eighteenth century it was simply Fish Hall, the home of Francis lies, now the Masonic Lodge. Lady Evelyn Collins was a much-respected member of the distinguished family which includes the longest-serving vicar, the Reverend Thomas Collins, who lived in Knaresborough House (1768).

76. The first official use of the paddling pool in the Moat Gardens, opened on the 2nd July, 1931 by William Wright, Chairman of the Housing and Town Improvement Committee of the Knaresborough Urban District Council. As this view looks towards the river the trees are mature, but other photographs of the Moat Gardens at this time show very small newly-planted shrubs. The name was changed to the Bebra Gardens as a result of Knaresborough twinning with the German town of Bebra in 1969. This is a good picture to conclude with. In matters of conservation our emphasis should be on the young, the future guardians of our heritage.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek