Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5490-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Limpsfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. This view of the Manor House was published in about 1930 by Miss Mabel Smethurst, stationer, Limpsfield, and shows the single-storey building and the south wing of the Manor House which have bath been demolished. The house was known as Stanhopes in 1821 when it was painted by John HasseIl and it is this name which has been given to the modern development which leads off the High Street at this point.

10. Four Limpsfield boys stand in the middle of the road and four girls pose outside the Manor House to face the camera on this anonymously published postcard of about 1920. The corner site on the left is now occupied by Limpsfield Tennis Club, although there still remains a privy, seen here, which was once used by Detillens cottages.

Eimpsfield, }r1cmor Xouse.

11. This Frith-produced postcard was published by J. Brasier, Limpsfield, and sent as a Christmas card to Miss Corbett Lowe, Liverpool, from The Manor House, in 1906. At this time it was a ladies' school run by the Misses Lyon and it remained a school unti11968. The right-hand part of the Manor House has been demolished. The Bull public house can be seen in the distance.

12. A charming photograph of the junction of Detillens Lane and the High Street is shown on this H.E. Brockes postcard, which was posted in 1919. Note the early appearance of a traffic sign and the standpipe on the pavement opposite. The cottages are Detillens Cottages, of which numbers 1 and 2 were re-built on this site from their original position within DetiIlens house in 1650.

13. W.A. Field of South Norwood has captured a horse-drawn delivery cart, a postman and a delivery boy on this delightful view of Detillens Lane, which was taken in about 1908. Field's photographer was looking east and the nearest house on the right is number 12. The postman has probably just made a coIlection as there is still a pillar box near here.

14. J.B. Lock's postcard of Detillens Lane in about 1912 is again looking east but nearer to the High Street than the previous photograph. The house on the left with the impressive white chimney stack is number 39, which is now opposite the entrance to the modern development of Padbrook.

15. Messrs. Gregory of Oxted published this postcard of the drinking fountain and horse trough shortly after they had been sited at the west end of Detillens Lane and its approach from the Westerham Road (Al5). The fountain was presented by Alice and Horace Berry of Detillens, in 1913. Today there is an ugly electricity transformer behind the shelter.

16. A peaceful scene along the Westerharn Road (A2S) appears on a postcard in Johnson's Photo Series in about 1910. The sign post in the centre of the photograph points to Snatts Hili and Station Road East, Oxted, whilst the turning to the left is Uvedale Road. The house with the white brick edging is number 9 Westerharn Road, or Havering.

17. Webster's unusual postcard of the rear view of Detillens was posted to Oxted in December, 1911. The house was built in about 1480 and was for many years known as Mill Croft, probably the miller's house. The house was originally timber-framed with plaster walls, but in the eighteenth century a fashionable brick frontage was added. The house takes its name from James Detillen, who lived here in the eighteenth century.

18. The Bull Hotel is shown here in about 1912 when the lieensee, Mr. G.E. Stafford, popularly known as 'Captain', had just returned from his stay at Seaford, where he had been reeuperating after an illness. The Bull, onee known as 'The Anchor & Chequer', was built about 1600 and is first mentioned as an inn in 1718.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek