Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5490-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Limpsfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. J. Valentine's view of the High Street was sent from The Copse, Limpsfield, in 1908 and shows the Blue Goblin on the right with Wickham's Stores beyond. On the left is White Hart Lodge, which dates from the fifteenth century and much enlarged with a modern porch. From the 1550s, this was the White Hart inn and here, in 1728, Mr. Francis, the innkeeper, found a deserted baby whom he christened J ohn Oddboy.

30. Stephen Edward Catt, grocer and draper, published this fine view of a traffic-free High Street on a postcard which was sent in 1914. The attractive cottages on the east side of the High Street are, from left to right: Fern Cottage, Registry Cottage, White Hart Cottage, April Cottage, Rowan Cottage and Linden Cottage. There is a County Police sign overthe doorfor Rowan Cottage, which also appears in the next photograph.

31. This view of Rowan Cottage was produced in about 1910 by an unknown publisher and makes a fine study of the Limpsfield police station. The lady in the doorway presents a no-nonsense attitude to any wouldbe miscreants.

32. The message on the reverse of this Edwardian postcard by Webster's reads: 'Don't you think this looks rather peaceful? This is the part visitors think so pretty, but it's not always so quiet as it looks. I expect L remembers it very weIl; one thing, although they are building all round, they can't spoil the village itself. The thatched building is a wheelwright's which adds to the beauty a great deal and has been sketched by artists quite a lot.'

33. A little girl in her white pinafore and bonnet faces the camera on a Webster postcard published in about 1912. The cottages on the right-hand side before the thatched wheelwright's are Sandridge Cottage and Jessamine Cottage, while on the immediate left is Chapel Cottage, with its distinctive pedimented roof, which was built between 1830 and 1835.

34. A Golden Series postcard shows Sandridge and Jessamine Cottages as they appeared in about 1930, but notice the disappearance of the thatched wheelwright's which stood next door in the previous photograph.

35. F. Frith & Co. Ltd. of Reigate published this postcard of the High Street, looking south, in 1924. It shows Limpsfield High Street's last thatched building which was used as a wheelwright's with a smithy opposite. Notice the arrival of the telegraph poles and the signs indicating the footpath to Limpsfield Common.

Cimpsfietd lillaQ~.

36. J. Brasier's postcard view of the village, looking towards the North Downs, was posted in 1905 and it shows Chapel Cottage on the left and the walled garden of Rosewell Cottage on the right. The poor state of the road on a winter's day no doubt made traveling quite difficult, despite the absence of traffic.

37. John Beaves Loek, of Oxted, published this postcard of the rocks and the inn sign for the Lord Rodney public house in about 1910, when Daniel Garwood was the publican. The house belonged to Nalder & Collyer, a well-known Croydon brewery.

38. An Edwardian postcard by W.A. Field of South Norwood shows the Lord Rodney public house in the foreground and the village roof tops with St. Peter's Church just visible on the right. The inn is now a private house and the single-storey front extension has been removed.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek