Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5490-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Limpsfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. J. Brasier's postcard of Pebble HilI was produced by Frith & Son of Reigate and posted in 1907. The house on the left is Pebble Hill House, which was completed for John Gale in 1785. In the distance, looking east, can be seen Pebble Hill Cottages.

50. A charming, coloured view of Pebble Hill is depicted on a postcard of about 1905 by Arthur Homewood of Burgess Hill, Sussex. The Plumber's Arms is shown on the left, whilst on the right is The Bower, an important fifteenth century hall house with an encasing brickwork of about 1720.

51. A fine photographic view of Pebble HilI by an unknown postcard publisher was sent to MI. Budgen of Boulthurst, Limpsfield, in April 1905. The wintry scene shows the poor state of the road outside The Plumber's Arms, whilst some horses prepare to haul a heavy waggon up the hilI towards Westerham.

pebble am

52. Another wintry view of Pebble Hill from the opposite direction appears on J. Brasier's postcard which was posted in 1905. The road on the left leads to Limpsfield High Street and on the opposite side The Plumber's Arms, which enjoyed this commanding position unti11970, advertises Redlan's Scotch whisky.

53. John Beves Loek, printer and stationer of Oxted, published this Frith-produced postcard view of Pebble HilI in 1924. It provides an important record of the alterations to the exterior of The Plumber's Arms and a comparison with the previous view is of interest. The inn dates from the seventeenth century.

54. Another postcard by J. Brasier, which was posted in 1907, shows Wolfs Row, looking north towards The Plumber's Arms. The house on the right is Stonewalls, which George Wiekham had built on the site of the old workhouse early in this century. Mr. Wiekham owned The Stores in the High Street and alocal brickworks.

55. H.E. Broekes' view of Wolfs Row was sent on a postcard dated 1921, although it may have been published before the Great War. The tiled house is Heath Cottage and the gabled house beyond is The Lantern. The rough path on the extreme right led to Mr. Loveland's builder's yard, which was later taken over by H.W. Wiggins & Sons.

56. F. Frith & Co. Ltd. published this postcard of the Convalescent Home for Wamen and Children, Wolfs Row, in 1906, when the matron was Miss Eleanor Smith. The building has disappeared, but it has been replaced by Wolf House Residential Rest Home.

57. In 1887, the Home for the Children of the Missionaries of the Church Missionary Society was built at a cost of about f35,000 for 120 chiIdren. It now houses St. Michael's School for Senior Girls, which takes its establishment date as 1850. This photograph was taken in about 1910 when the director and chapIain was Reverend WiIIiam Borrer Tracy, M.A.

58. In 1901, an additional house was built as the nursery horne for the Church Missionary Society to the north of the existing building. It is now known as Thornhill and is approached from the Westerharn Road. A modern extension has been added on the east side to serve the St. Michael's Junior School for Girls.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek