Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5490-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Limpsfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. The picturesque Paines Hill Cottages on Paines Hill are shown here on Miss Webster's postcard of about 1912. The cottages, now known as Friars Cottage, date from the sixteenth century, with nineteenth century additions, and although the central door, shown above, has been removed, th is is still a very attractive corner.

60. Steer & Burley pubIished this postcard of The Salt Box on Limpsfield Chart in about 1930. The original building dates from the seventeenth century, but an inscription which can be seen from the road reads: 'An Ancient Tenement Repaired by W.H.T. 1878.' Before Mr. Teulon's alterations, the building is said to have resembled a kitchen salt box because of its sloping roof.

61. The new houses in Ridlands Rise and Stoneleigh Road contrast starkly with the forgotten oast houses on Crane's postcard of Ridlands Lane, which was published in the 1930s. Note the public footpath which crosses the lane from left to right.

62. ASteer & Burley postcard of about 1930 shows a general view of Limpsfield Chart with Ridlands Farm in the centre of the photograph and the North Downs in the background. In a directory of the same period, Lady Lubbock is shown as resident at Ridlands.

63. An earlier postcard published by Steer & Burley in 1910 affords a close-up view of Ridlands Farm, looking north. The farm house is now surrounded by modern housing, but it has a proud history dating back to the sixteenth century.

64. In about 1910 this fine view of Champions Cottages was published by Steer & Burley. The cottages are not normally seen today, but they can be found off Caxton Lane alongside a modern residence called Quince House.

65. The Caxton Convalescent Home was built in 1894-1895 at the expense of J. Passmore Edwards and others, for the benefit of the members of the printing and aIIied trades. This S. & W. Series postcard was published in about 1912, when the master was Leonard Williams.

n
>
x
0-3
0
Z
~
iZ
p
~
~
~
..,
~
0-
....
C
z
!l1
:รถ
..,
!'" 66. The Caxton Convalescent Home, constructed of red brick with Bath stone dressings, had an additional west wing constructed in 1928. The formal opening took pi ace on 23rd June and this splendid postcard of the guests neatly assembied in the garden was pubIished to commemorate the occasion.

67. Across The Chart from the Caxton Home, another convalescent home was built by J. Passmore Edwards for Charing Cross Hospital. It was opened on 11th July 1896 by the Prince and Princess of Wales and later became the property of the National Sailors' and Firemen's Union. It now houses the Marie Curie Memorial Foundation for cancer research. The photograph was taken in about 1912.

Church and Cornmon, Limpsfield, Surrev

68. A.H. Homewood of Burgess HilI published this postcard of Limpsfield Chart in about 1906 and it shows the Chart Cottages, the windmill and St. Andrew's Church. The latter was built in 1896 at a cost of about f3,000 and in 1902 the tower and spire were added.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek