Lingfield in old picture postcards

Lingfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4795-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lingfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

.fin field.

9. This Frith postcard of 1905 was taken from the Godstone Road looking towards Plaistow Street with Newchapel Road on the right. A child stands outside Mr. and Mrs. Halsey's butcher's and greengrocery shops whilst a horse-drawn furniture pantechnicon stands outside the Greyhound Inn whose landlord at this time was Benjamin Boorer. A featureless modem semi-detached house now stands on the site of the house on the left. Compare the above shops with the replacement building shown in the next photograph.

10. This 1920s view shows the replacement shops at the junction of Newchapel Road and Plaistow Street (see previous photograph). It was publisbed by E.M. Green, The Library, Lingfield, whose shop is shown above on the left. The gargoyles at the apex of each gable are an interesting feature but the building lacks the charm of its predecessor which was featured in John Hassell's painting of 1822.

" Fans Pocket" The eralts corner 0 a

igTle .

11. This is another 1920s postcard and shows the buildings which now form the Old Cage public house, opposite the Greyhound. At this time the buildings were a crafts shop and a café, the farmer proving a great attraction for children. Befare the Great War it had been Milton Batehelar's grocery and general shop. Mr. Batchelar also collected the paar rate for several years and would no doubt be surprised to know that these two buildings have been converted to form an inn.

12. A horse-drawn vehicle, preceded by a cyclist, makes its way past the Greyhound in a Franees Frith posteard of 1903. The shop on the left is Playstowe Hall, built in 1885, and its sign advertises Lingfield Drug Stores. The stores were run by John Jupp who also advertised a fancy repository and today it houses a furnishing shop and fuel merchants. In the centre is today's Cage public house, dating from 1592, and the building on the right is Rose Cottages on the corner of Vicarage Raad. These cottages show a pleasing contrast of weather boarding and tile hanging.

P1aistow 5treet,

13. This Jupp postcard, which dates from about 1905, shows the Lingfield Drug Stores (Playstowe Hall) from the opposite direction to that in the previous photograph. It is Iooking eastwards and the photographer was standing in the garden of Rose Cottages. The row ofwhite cottages on the right have all been demolished. The oid loek-up cage and the forge (centre) may be seen in the distance.

14. This is an unusual close-up of the old cage in Jupp's photo series of about 1912. A workman sits inside with a collection of road signs whilst a prop encourages the ancient oak tree away from the roof of the cage. This little building dates back to 1773 and was used for many years as a loek-up for local wrong doers. lts last detainees were some poachers in 1882.

15. Two gentlemen pause for a conversation, untroubled by any form of traffic, on a summer's day probably in the 1920s. Looking westwards, the buildings shown are all much loved features of Lingfield in their different styles. They are, from the left, the Old Cage, Rose Cottages and St. Peter's Cross with the little single storey shop behind. The cross is believed to date from the fifteenth century and marks the centre of the Plaistow Street Conservation Area.

16. The East Grinstead Photo Company produeed this fine view in about 1913. It shows the turning for Viearage Road by the neat hedge of Rose Cottages and the narrow roadway on the north side of Gun Pond. Tbe little shop advertises hair eutting and R. White's lemonade and the eye is drawn skywards towards two monkey puzzle trees and a row of tall telegraph poles. Behind the shop is Billshurst Cottages and in front of the fenee guarding the pond ean be seen some water pipes awaiting burial,

47 Til' c: GE. S'! PE11 WO:;

1"< "liJ [)

17. Two youths in caps give a passing glance to a gentleman reading a newspaper , possibly at the photographer's request. This 1920s view shows the hedge of Rose Cottages curving into Vicarage Raad with Billshurst Cottages to the right of St. Peter's Cross. The house on the right is Hope Cottage and its sign board advertises 'J. Hood: House Decorator'. In an earlier directory John Hood is described as a plumber.

VIL~AGE PO 0 AND CAGE. LI. GFIElD.

18. This postcard was sent to Fred Picknell at Chatham by his father who was enjoying a day at Lingfield races on 7th April 1916. Hope Cottage is framed by two mature aak trees whilst on the right the shed-like photographic premises belonging to Arthur Martin may be seen. Mr. Martin recorded much of Lingfield life in the early years of this century.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek