Lingfield in old picture postcards

Lingfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4795-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lingfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. This postcard is a companion to the previous view and was posted in August, 1913. It shows the shops on the south si de of the High Street which, unlike the buildings opposite, are still instantly recognisable. The youth in the picture is probably a telegram boy and the advertisement beyond the post office building reads: 'Lingfield Bakery: A.G. Finch, Pastry Cook and Confectioner; Cakes and Pastry of Every Description; Refreshments.' The premises are still occupied by a baker.

30. Progressing further eastwards along the High Street, this view by Francis Frith & Co., which was taken in 1903, captures the unfamiliar buildings on the north side of the street leading towards the schools. The shop on the immediate right was Albert Boorer's butcher's shop and beyond can be seen Walter Maxwell's hairdresser's and W.M. Leach, an au ct ion eer and estate agent. A sign outside the hairdresser's advertises the re-covering and repointing of umbreUas.

31. Another postcard by Frith shows Lingfield High Street, looking westwards on a card posted to Antwerp in 1907. Boorer's and Fineh's shops appear on the left-hand side (Leeds Terrace, built in 1893) but the site of the post office is graced by a handsome Lingfield aak. Opposite, Farrance's cart is parked in front of Farrance's Stores which displays advertisements for Colman's Mustard and Colman's Starch. Magnus Deo may be seen beyond the white railings at centre.

32. This postcard was published by D.W. Farrance and although posted in 1916, it was no doubt produced several years earlier, There are thirteen people in the photograph and they are alliooking at the photographer who is standing, quite safely, in the middle of the road by the turning for Talbot Road on the left. Note the tall telegraph poles and the monkeypuzzle tree.

33. This 1920s view, by E.M. Green, The Library, Lingfield, shows a single vehicle parked outside the Lingfield Garage, which at this time was owned by H.P. Clayton. Farrance's Stores has been taken over by Edward Castie to become Castle's Stores. The distant house (centre) is Magnus Deo and to its right can be seen the building which today is The Wine Stores.

34. This lively postcard by B. & S., Enfield, shows a familiar view of the High Street in about 1914. The shop fronts have altered, inevitably and the International Stores has given way to a video shop. The fish shop and L.J. Hambleton's have become a french restaurant and a hair stylist and beyond Talbot Road, Rupert Chandler's outfitters (Paris House) is now occupied by John Banks.

35. In 1915, th is postcard was sent to Percy Godley at a Military Hospital in Dover, no doubt a casualty of the Great War. The above buildings are now Lingfield Middle School but for many years this was Lingfield Mixed and it was built in 1860, extended in 1906. In 1913, William Abell was the master and it is likely that the house on the right was his residence.

36. E.l. Skinner of Lingfield published th is view of The Schools on a postcard dated 1906 which shows the buildings befare the enlargements which were made in 1906-7. The Lingfield Infants School, on the right, was built in 1849 and at the time of the enlargements, the mistress was Ellen Quigley who was succeeded by Elizabeth Woodley in about 1912.

?

37. Lingfield Council School-Infants is shown here on an postcard dated 1913. lts appearance has altered somewhat from the previous photograph and the turret has disappeared. The card was sent to Miss Wright at The School House, Ash, near Wrotham from Lena of 12, Clinton Terrace, Dormansland. The Infants School is now used as The Lingfield Centre.

38. B. & S. Enfield published this postcard of Church Walk in the 1920s. The walk is much the same today and starts from the High Street by the schools and leads to the conservation area around the church. An earlier postcard of the same locality by Jupp refers to the walk as Ashpit Lane.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek