Lingfield in old picture postcards

Lingfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4795-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lingfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. This building, now known as The Lingfield Victoria Club, is in the High Street, oppo site The Lingfield Centre, and is here captured on a postcard dated 1905. The Victoria Memorial Institute was erected in 1901 by public subscription and the stone at the front was laid by Sydney Austin, M.R.C.S. who was medical officer and vaccinator for the Lingfield District. The institute, which cast about fl,SOĆ¼, was built by Emest Stanford, a loc al builder, and contained reading rooms and a library of over 500 volumes. It was enlarged in 1906 at a further cost of iSOO.

ril ~ o

J.)

e

S

J:ingfield.

40. Leaving the High Street, our journey takes us down Church Raad to the second of Lingfield's Conservation Areas. The buildings grouped around the Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul are captured here in a Frith postcard of about 1904. The building on the right is the old Star public house which has since moved across the raad to a new building. The landlord at this time was Walter Wigmore. Three little girls stand in the road with their hoops which were very popular with Edwardian children.

41. Arthur Martin has photographed The Star on this postcard which bears a postmark of 1904. The letter box on the wall remains there to this day but the little building with the tall chimney in front of Pollard House (left) has been demolished. The two little boys are aware of the photographer but the two men appear to be more concerned with their cigarettes.

42. MI. Martin's photograph shows The Star at the turn of the century before the extension was added towards the white fencing. Between Pollard House (extreme left) and the church can be seen another unfamiliar building, destined to be burnt down. Most of the girls queueing behind the donkey cart are looking directly at the photographer.

? 11278

CORNER OF 01.0 VILLAGE. LINGFIELO .

43. A Kingsway postcard by W.H. Smith, published in about 1910, shows the oidfashioned way that butcher's used to display their produce - no doubt unhygienic for present day tastes. Beyond MI. Faulkner's shop may be seen Pollard Cottage and then Oid Town House, the latter being the replacement building for th at shown in the previous view. The butcher's is now a private residence.

44. This attractive card by Jupp was posted in 1907 and shows Old Town House, on the left, as it appeared before the disastrous fire early this century. Originally a late sixteenth century timber-framed house, it underwent a re-building in about 1908. Note the untiled appearance of the end gable in comparison to photograph number 43.

45. Messrs. Myram and Morris have taken over Faulkner's butcher's shop in Pollard House and two delivery bicycles may be seen outside. A man stands in front of an advertisement for Barclay's Stout and Ales (left) whilst The Star boasts E. & H. Kelsey's Fine Ales which were brewed in Tunbridge WelIs. The card was posted in 1926 but would appearto date from about 1912.

In ihe OU ~own. Lingfield.

46. This postcard was produeed in J. Jupp's Sepia Series and was posted in 1920. The photographer has his back to the church and is Iooking towards Myram and Morris's butchers, observed as aiways, by the loeal children. The attractive row of cottages on the Ie ft-hand side are Church Gate Cottage and Star Cottages.

47. John Jupp's postcard, dated 1915, shows the churchyard looking away from the church porch towards Church Gate Cottage on the left and Old Town Cottage, right. It is interesting to note th at the gravestone to the left of the picture marks the resting place of Jarnes Thomas (1802-1886), the Vicarof the Parish forseventeen years.

48. Frith's postcard, sent to Lamberhurst in 1907, shows an unusual view of St. Peter and St. Paul's from the north-west. The stables to the right have been demolished and the pond in the foreground is no more. The building on the left is The College, now situated in College Close.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek