Lingfield in old picture postcards

Lingfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4795-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lingfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. The entrance to the parish church is shown here from Vicarage Road, with Barn Cottage on the left and the Guest House (right) in about 1912. At the time of the photograph, the latter was described as the Old Guest Hall and was lived in by Mrs. Hayward. It is now the public library and the building dates from the late 1400s, heavily restored in 1900.

528e

OLOE GUEST HALL. LINGf.ELO

50. This Kingsway postcard by W.H. Smith was posred from Lingfield in 1910 and shows two local girls in front of the Old Guest HaH before its present use as a public library. The house is reputedly the guest house of Lingfield College and is a good example of a Wealden house.

51. Jupp's postcard of the old parish church was posted in 1919 but was no doubt published before the Great War. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is in the perpendicular style which is unusual in Surrey. The oldest part ofthe church is the tower and part of the west wall, which are both fourteenth century. The main re-building of the church took place in 1431.

52. Inside Lingfield Church are many interesting tombs and brasses and in this Jupp postcard of about 1912, the tomb of the first Lord Cobham is depicted. He was responsible for the fortification of the original Starborough CastIe in 1342. The chained bible (right) was given to the parish by W. Saxby in 1688.

"Old Bar!) Studio and pleasau[)ce;"

JUPP, PHOTO. LINGF'ELD.

53. Jupp's postcard, which was posted in 1907, shows seven Edwardian boys at the top of the steps with the Guest House on the left. The building in the centre of the photograph is now known as Barn Cottage. Note the old fashioned headboard style of grave on the extreme right.

54. This attractive Victorian building is Lingfield Vicarage as it appeared on a Jupp postcard, postally used in 1906. At this time the vicar was Reverend Kenneth Cl arke M.A. who held the living from 1904 until1911 when he was succeeded by Reverend Alfred Pitt Gutch. A modern building now serves as Lingfield Vicarage.

55. This view shows what is now Vicarage Raad and was published in about 1910. The houses nearest to the camera are numbers 23 and 24 and although the gate and style na langer remain, a footpath continues to serve as the way to Woodlands.

56. A horse and cart wait outside Sitford & Son's grocers on an sunny day in about 1913. Bakers Lane leads away to the right and Saxbys Lane curves away to the left. Sitford's has become a solicitor's and the tree has been removed. The first three houses in Saxbys Lane are Eastbourne House, Cavendish House and Pier Cottages and they were all built in 1884.

57. Proceeding along Saxbys Lane towards Crowhurst Road, the photographer is fellowing the progress of the horse and cart shown in the previous photograph. The photograp her was standing by the modern Haywardens and the house on the left is Cypress Cottage. The weather boarded building in the eentre has been replaeed by maisonettes (numbers 49-79) and a new fire station.

58. The local boys obligingly pose for the photographer in Station Road in about 1910. The house on the left is number 11 and the little shop is still trading from the same position today. It was built as Alma Cottage in 1888, shortly after the railway arrived at Lingfield.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek