Luton in old picture postcards

Luton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   F. Hackett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Bedfordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2132-3
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Luton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  >  |  >>

99. Within the boundary of Leagrave stands the souree of the River Lea and the forrnerly very extensive Leagrave Marsh. This photograph shows the large area of water known as the 'Sheep Dip' where the Bramingham Road crosses the River Lea. The Three Horseshoes Inn is now much altered and enlarged but remains on the same site.

100. Further down stream the riverside meadows of Limbury Manor Farm with their pollarded willow trees have now largely been built over by housing estates. Until 1928 the remains of old fish ponds, used as a souree of food in medieval times, were still visible on the river bank and were recorded by the local historian William Austin.

101. Because of Luton's strong non-conformist tradition and its large manufacturing population a Liberal Member of Parliament was retumed for many years after 1885 when it was first made a separate constituency from North Bedfordshire. At the 1906 election, seen here in a photograph taken outside the Town Hall, T.G. Ashton was retumed for the third time. The fact that the crowd are mainly wearing caps and bowlers indicates that it was winter as straw boaters were the normal summer wear in Luton.

102. In 1920 Lady Wernher, whose husband Sir Julius Wernher, a wealthy diamond merchant, had acquired Luton Hoo in 1903, presented part of the estate to the town in memory of her youngest son, Alex Pigott Wernher, who had been killed in 1914 at the age of nineteen while fighting in France. It was opened to the public as the Luton Memorial Park with an ornate summer house and formal gardens. It has been a feature of the town ever since.

103. A feature of the trench fighting which taak place in the First World War was the need for very large numbers of troops. The 3rd/5th Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment was raised in 1915 as a draft-forming unit to train volunteers ready to fill gaps in the ranks of the 1st/5th Territorial Battalion serving with great distinction in France. On the 2nd October 1915 a great reeruitment rally was held in Luton with the 3rd/5th Battalion forming the guard of honour. Many local men were persuaded to join.

104. The commanding officer, Major R.R.B. Orlebar, was received by the Mayor, Councillor John Staddon, in front of the Town Hall. It was the Territorial Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment that earned the nick name 'Yellow Devils' during the fighting at Suvla in 1915. Before the war had ended eighteen battalions had been raised by the Bedfordshire Regiment and the total casualty list numbered 18,000.

105. During the First World War there were a number of army camps in the area, for example at Luton Hoo and at Biscot Mill. Men were also billeted in private houses and halls in the town itself and this photograph seems to indicate that they were even accommodated in the Waller Street Methodist Chapel.

106. Flag days and other events were frequently held to support the war effort. In July 1918, as part of a war Savings Week, an early version of the army tank was displayed in Market HilI. This was subsequently removed to Wardown Park where it remained on display until 1941, when it was broken up to supply scrap metal to supply armaments in the Second World War.

10? This is a food queue outside the Home and Colonial Store in Wellington Street. The notiee in the window is announeing a special consignrnent of eheese and three polieemen are on hand to ensure an orderly queue. The system of food distribution in the town proved to be so bad that before the war ended workers in loeal faetories held a one-day strike in protest.

lOS. It is clear from this group photograph that the gardening lessons at Norton Road School were perhaps less concemed with the acquisition of knowledge than the production of food to supplement the badly-organised wartime rationing system. However everyone is clearly very cheerful at the prospect of getting out of the classroom for a while.

<<  |  <  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek