Luton in old picture postcards

Luton in old picture postcards

:   F. Hackett
:   Bedfordshire
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2132-3
:   144
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Luton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  >  |  >>

129. Here is Charles Irons with the Court Leet jury outside the Com Exchange in 1902. The tradition of the Court Leet dates back to medieval times, when it was called each year by the Church authorities to pass judgement on crimes that had taken place in the man or. By 1939 all its powers had lapsed and had passed to the Magistrates Court.


Phorographed by v. H. Cox, 90, Castte Streer, Lutou

130. Wardown Park was an important area for recreation for Lutonians and provided a venue for a variety of outdoor entertainment as weil as a site for visiting fairs. The bandstand, which is now gone, was a useful stage for performers such as the 'Zig Zags', a dancing and singing act who are seen here posing for a publicity photograph.

131. The Red Cross Silver Band was founded in 1890 and became one of the country's most successful bands. They held the South of England Band Championship from 1901 to 1923 without a break, and in 1923 won the premier honour of the brass band world, the coveted 'Crystal Palace 1000 Guineas Trophy', known as the World Championship. The name Red Cross was adopted, because it played for a number of charities, the Red Cross being one of them. When the War Office objected to the use of the name, it was changed to the Luton Band. The best known of its conductors was Harry Mortimer.

132. Over the years there have been many bands and choirs and Luton could, with some justification, be called a musical town. It has been pointed out that the large hat workshops were particular conducive to communal singing before the noise of the machines became too great. The best known of the musical groups which flourished was the Luton Girls Choir. However they were not the first as this postcard indicates. It shows a Salvation Army Choir posing, complete with organ, at the back of one of the town's hat factories.

133. Caddington stands on the eastem outskirts of Luton high up on the ehalk ridge, This photograph shows the mainly thirteenth century ehureh standing by the Green. The village is notable for the palaeolithie finds whieh were made in the briek pits by the arehaeologist G. Worthington Smith in 1890. A display of these ean be seen in the Luton Museum.

134. Someries Castle is the name commonly given to the fifteenth century gatehouse and chapel thought to have been built by Lord Wenlock. It is one of the earliest brick buildings in the country and its present ruinous state can be attributed to the fact that it was never fully completed. In addition, during the seventeenth century, it was partially dismantled for its building material. The nearby Someries Farm was the home for a short while of Joseph Conrad, the novelist.

135. On the northern edge of Luton lies the village of Streatley, an area particularly associated with the Icknield Way, a prehistorie route way which crossed England from East Anglia to Wessex. Housing development is now spreading towards the village, but this photograph was taken in one of the cottages and is an attempt by the Luton photographer A.I. Anderson to capture the life style of an agricultural labourer of a former age.

136. This well-known view taken by Frederick Thurston shows an old man wearing a farm worker's smock in the garden of a straw thatched cottage in the village of Barton. As the old name 'Barton-in-theClay' indicates the village is situated on the outerop of the Gault Clay which lies at the foot of the

<<  |  <  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  13  |  14  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek