Luton in old picture postcards

Luton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   F. Hackett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Bedfordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2132-3
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Luton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. In former times the cage, or prison, stood in Park Square. At the corner of Church Street was the Cross Pond until it was drained in 1836. In this view looking towards Market Hill Davis' shop, which was illustrated in the previous plate, is seen here below the ornate wall-mounted gas lamps. It was still hanging game in the open air when this photograph was taken in about 1915. All the buildings on the right are now replaced by the Arndale Centre in its frontage along Church Street.

-

-

10. The White House in Park Square was built by Thomas Burr in 1767. The Burr family were originally farmers in the area of Park Street and it was Thomas Burr who decided to acquire a brewery close by the White House and expand it into a larger concern. Eventually he owned thirty-three inns and beer houses in the town. Such was the influence of the Burr's Brewery that a clock on the north face of the Parish Church was moved round to face west, so that it could be seen from the Brewery Yard. The business was bought by Thomas Sworder and then later by J.W. Green. It now forms part of the Whitbread Group. After its demolition, the White House was replaced by the Luton Secondary School.

Park Square, Luton

?

11. This view of Park Square in about 1909 shows the Luton Modern School on the right standing on land now occupied by the College of Further Education. The nearest shop on the left is a butcher's shop belonging to W. Panter, who delivered meat and game to his customers using three horse-drawn vehicles. The Cock Inn is the only building in this view to retain its former use today. Beneath its brick facade there is the original timber frame and it is easily the oldest public house in the town centre.

12. From 1908 the Luton Modern School provided secondary education for boys and girls living in the south of the county, Entrance was by examination and moderate fees were charged. However there were free places for about a quarter of the scholars. Evening classes were held for those over sixteen and growth was such that in 1919 the girls were moved to premises in Alexander Avenue. It closed down in 1938 when the new school, now the Sixth Farm College, was built in Bradgers Hill Raad.

13. Park Street acquired its name because it led from the town centre to the Luton Hoo Estate. In earlier years, it was usually referred to as Sheep Street because of the sheep fair held there. During the nineteenth century cattle pens were set up along its length on market days and this accounts for the fact that it was wider than most of Luton's other town centre streets. This photograph shows one of the three passing p1aces on the tram track between the town centre and the depot in Bailey Street.

14. This much-photographed cottage, which was known by the peculiar name of Why-AxYe, stood in Park Raad near the junction with Traps Lane. When the development of houses took place in 1925 the name Traps Lane was changed to Cutenhoe Raad, which was thought to be more appropriate for an expanding town. The Why-Ax-Ye cottage was then no langer in its original isolated rural setting and was demolished in order to allow development to proceed.

15. Just beyond the Why-Ax-Ye cottage was the northern entrance to Luton Hoo Park, still with many mature trees when this scene was painted. Originally a lane ran from the Park gates westwards along the boundary of the estate. This was the original Traps Lane so-called, perhaps, because of the traps laid by poachers (or possibly the mantraps laid for poachers). In 1858 it was closed and a second Traps Lane was created further along Park Road to replace it and it was this one which was eventually changed to Cutenhoe Road.

Park Road, Lut on

16. This photograph of about 1898 shows the northern entrance to the Hoo Estate which, like the main entrance in London Road, was designed to look like a castle with the rooms of the Lodge House built in on each side and above the gateway. This romantic 'castle' style was probably part of Robert Adams design and was built when the Earl of Bute increased the size of the estate from three hundred to one thousand acres.

17. Park Road turned sharply eastwards outside the northern lodge entrance to Luton Hoo and passed along the boundary of the park until it joined the road to Wheathampstead. The brickbuilt bridge by which it crossed the river Lea was erected in 1823 and spanned the boundary between East and West Hyde. As seen in this view, it formed a picturesque setting and was a popular fishing place. At the present day the Motorway spur goes over the river at this point.

18. This view was taken from the Park Road Bridge looking northwards over the area which is now occupied by the Vauxhall Recreation Ground. Extensive watercress beds existed beyond the trees on the right illustrating that the river was Iargely unpolluted despite having flowed through the town of Luton. The high land in the background is St. Ann's Hili.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek