Luton in old picture postcards

Luton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   F. Hackett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Bedfordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2132-3
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Luton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sufon

J(oo

Tbc Wrench Series No. 5977

19. In 1762 Luton Hoo was bought from the Napier family by the Third Earl of Bute who, through his marriage to Lady Montague Wortley, was one of the wealthiest men in England. He was appointed Prime Minister under George 111 and for a while was popu1ar because he secured peace by bringing an end to the Seven Years War. However he became severe1y criticised for his policies and had to 1eave office in 1765. He set ab out to rebuild the Hoo and engaged Robert Adam the foremost architect of the day to design it.

Euion .7(00

20. To layout the grounds he engaged 'Capability Brown' the best known of all the eighteenth century landscape gardeners. The river was widened to form two lakes and large sca1e tree planting took place. Unfortunately the Hoo was badly damaged by fire in 1771 and much of Adam's work on the building has not survived. A second fire occurred in 1843 and the house as seen in these photographs was largely rebuilt sin ce then.

21. Beeause of its distinetive lay-out, being on1y two hundred and sixty yards long dividing into a fork at eaeh end, George Street is easily reeognisable even in the earliest illustrations despite the fact that its buildings have nearly all been replaced. In fact some have been renewed more than onee. This lithograph of 1855 shows the view towards the Old Town Hall. The tall building on the right is a straw plait warehouse, such buildings were rapidly replaeing the farm houses, small craft workshops and cottages, as the hat industry beeame more and more important.

George Street, Laton;

22. By 1900 the Ames Memorial had been built and George Street was lined by hat factories, warehouses and commercial premises. The George Hotel, after which the street was named, was still there, but very few of the buildings are recognisab1e today despite the fact that the right-hand side building line is the same. Road widening has removed the buildings seen to the 1eft of the Town Hall and the only feature still in existence is the tiled roof nearby.

23. In this view of George Street, looking towards the Town Hall in 1955, the up per parts of the buildings on the near 1eft and right are recognisable from the previous view. The tower of the new Town Hall, which was built in 1936, forms a more dominant foca1 point.

24. The shops seen in this view of Market Hili in order from the right are M. Mares, hatter, Blundell Bros., draper, the Plough Inn, Wootton and Webb and Foster Bros. None of these buildings have survived the recent development of the Arndale Centre, but part of the interior fittings of the 'Plough' are displayed in the Luton Museum as part of the Luton Life Gallery. Some of the tiles from the facade form part of the interior decor of the present Debenham's store.

25. Open-air Saturday and Monday markets as seen here were held in Park Square until the 1930's and it was in this same area that a fair was held each year on the third Monday in April. Incorrectly known as the Stattie Fair, it included livestock sales in Park Street and a pleasure fair with roundabouts and sideshows which occupied both Park Square and the area around the Corn Exchange.

26. The Old Town Hall was built in 1847 in the classic style of architecture not, as one would expect, by the Town Counci1 but by a group of businessmen calling themselves 'The Town Hall Company'. It was used for public meetings and entertainments as well as for magistrate's court sittings. To commemorate the ending of the Crîmean War in 1856, a public subscription was raised to instal a doek facing down George Street. The Town Hall was purchased by the Council in 1874 and met its end in the Peace Day Riots of 1919.

.ft Jjit oj ou Euton.

I'be Wrencb Serio., xe. :'431. Phc ' -. Aodnllon, Luton.

27. The corner of Chapel Street (originally called Hog Lane) and George Street is shown here shortly before the building in the centre was demolished to widen Chapel Street. It had formerly been a plait merchant's premises, but ended its life as a grocer's shop. When digging the foundations for the London and County Bank which replaced it, the workmen found a costrel, or earthenware water bottle, which would have been used by a farm labourer in the fields. Note that the roof seen on the right of the photograph still survives today.

T.h. Wrenoh Sui ??. No. 3i61. Ph.oto. AnderaolL Lut.on..

28. This is a carefully-posed photograph of Chapel Street taken in about 1900. It ernphasises the 'quaintness' of the view and is typical of the postcard photographs produced by A.I. Anderson. A cart drawn by two oxen has been placed in the street to help the effect. This was probably an advertising vehicle as oxen had not been used as beasts of burden for many years.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek