Luton in old picture postcards

Luton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   F. Hackett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Bedfordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2132-3
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Luton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

CHAPI::I. RTIU:BT. LüTO~.

29. Chapel Street is seen here from the junction of George Street in a photograph taken about twenty years later than the previous view. The Londen, County and Westminster Bank had been built and ean be seen on the right, The name of the street had been changed from Rog Lane in 1832 at which time the north side was occupied by the Old Bell Inn, Luton's oldest known inn, dating back to the fifteenth century.

30. Castie Street, by which the road to London 1eaves the town, derives its name from the fact that it crosses the site of the twe1fth century castle built by Robert de Waudari a French mercenary. The actual castle site stood where the Bus station now is. When this photograph was taken in about 1900, some of the larger Victorian houses were still standing and the tram tracks had yet to be laid.

31. Wellington Street was 1aid out in 1823 on land which was very agricultural in nature. There had previously been a farm house at the bottom near George Street. As seen in this view taken in 1900, it developed into the main shopping street of the town. Because of this the street lighting provided by the Luton Gas and Coke Co. was c1early insufficient and each shop provided its own gas lights which ilIuminated the pavement as well as the window display. The house of Dr. Sworder, a locally well-known surgeon, can be seen at the bottom of the hill in George Street.

32. King Street was not laid out until the middle of the century. Made necessary by the growing affluence of the hat trade, it was one of the more elegant streets in the town with many large commercial premises. At the top of the hili, here seen in the distance, was the King Street Congregational Church, built in 1865. This church, which was the only spired example to be built in the town, was demolished in 1970 and the site is occupied by the Midland Bank.

33. This photograph shows the War Memorial at the opening ceremony in 1922. It was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and built in Portland stone. The bronze statue of Peace was sculpted by Sir Himo Thomeycroft and is eight feet high. On the base is recorded the names of 1,285 Luton men who died during the First World War. The Memorial has recently been designated as an architectural structure of special interest.

LUTQN. WAR VE~OFlIA,L 8: L1BRARY

71715

34. This view was taken in about 1930 from behind the War Memorial looking towards the Carnegie Library , which stood on the corner of Williamson Street. On the left is the empty plot on which the new Town Hall was later built. The pillar box seen on the left is a six-sided 'Penfold' type installed outside the old Town Hall in ab out 1875.1t has sin ce been preserved and can be seen near the Luton Museum in Wardown Park.

47889 LUTO ; PUBLIC LIBRARY.

35. In 1910 a generous gift by the American steel magnate Andrew Carnegie enabled the town to repIace the oId Free Library, which was no longer adequate for the needs of the town. The new building was designed by the local architect B.C. Deacon and the result was in irnpressive addition to the architecture of the town centre. It stood on the corner of Williamson Street and George Street until 1962.

36. The Midland Hotel stood opposite the Library in Manchester Street. It was built shortly after the Midland Railway Station opened in Luton and tnis photograph shows it in 1890. As can be seen in a previous illustration, it was later converted into offices above and shops below. Like all the property at this end of Manchester Street on the east side it was cleared to form the present St. Georges Square.

37. The Franklin Temperenee Commercial Hotel and Restaurant offered accommodation to 'commercial gentlemen' under the proprietorship of John Charles Lewis from 1905 to just before the First World War. Advertised as the 'neatest restaurant in town', it offered tea, bed and breakfast at 4s 6d per day in 1909. No intoxicating drinks were served. Next door at number 70, George Street in 1905 was a motor cycle and athletic outfitter.

38. This photograph of Pedder's House is perhaps the best known print by Thomas Thurston, the eminent Luton photographer. The house was late fifteenth century in date and early in the nineteenth century was a farmhouse belonging to John Brett. The last occupant was Matthew Long who had a shop there for the sale of locally-made baskets as late as 1947. It now forms part of the site of the Post Office in Upper George Street.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek