Luton in old picture postcards

Luton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   F. Hackett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Bedfordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2132-3
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Luton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

~,

Christ Church & Vicara~e, Luton.

39. Christ Church dates back to 1857 when the growth of the population of the town made it necessary to carve up the old Parish of Luton and create a new one. The cast of the original church was .t3,500 and despite problems with the foundations and many modifications to the original design, it still retained a pleasant, dignified aspect when this photograph was taken in about 1910.

40. This view of Upper George Street shows the projecting gable of Pedder's House with the Clarence Inn on the left seen before modifications changed the facade. Christ Church is seen in the distance with its original, more graceful, tower which hardly resem bles the present one. Originally Upper George Street was known as Dunstabie Lane and on its north side there were extensive pits caused by the extraction of brick clay. The presence of these pits caused a great deal of trouble to the builders of Christ Church due to the sinking of the foundations.

41. Manchester Street is seen here looking towards the Railway from near the old Library in about 1930. On the left at the bottom of Alma Street is the Alma Cinema while between the Cooperative Stores and Mill Street was the Crown Inn, now demolished.

Manchester Street, Luton. No. 1.

42. This is a view of Manchester Street looking from the opposite direction from the previous illustration in 1914. Many of the buildings on the right have survived until the present day including the tile-fronted one which was Bone's Music Shop, well-known for its selection of violins and other stringed instruments. Most of the buildings on the 1eft hand side, however, have been replaced by the Cooperative Stores.

43. The Alma Cinema was built in 1929 at the bottom of Alma Street. Because of the slope of the street the entrance was at the end where the screen was situated. This photograph, taken in 1937, shows a carnival procession turning into New Bedford Road. The Alma was converted into a dance hall near the end of its life and was eventually demolished to make way for Cresta House.

Post Office. Cheapsid , Luton.

44. The former Post Office in Cheapside was built, like a number of other buildings in Luton at that period, in a sort of modified Tudor style, It was probab1y the town's first Post Office and was in use from 1878 until it was rep1aced in 1923 by the Post Office in Upper George Street. This in turn was later rep1aced by the present Head Post Office in Dunstabie Road.

45. Cheapside contained many of the town's larger hat factories. This view of the junction of Cheapside and Waller Street shows crates in which hats were transported by cart to the large warehouse near the station. From there they were loaded on to trains to London.

46. The Fire Station was built in 1901 next to St. Mary's Hall in Church Street. Previous to that the main station had been in Stuart Street. Because of the high mains pressure available at hydrants in the town there was never any need for steam fire engines. The horse-drawn fire appliances were replaced by motor fire engines in 1914. In 1940 the station was transferred to Park Street and the building used as an old people's centre. St. Mary's Hall, seen on the left, was originally a girls school. Both buildings were demolished in 1968.

Jhe )'arish Cburch, Euton.

47. The Parish Church of St. Mary's with its distinctive chequered pattern of Totternhoe stone and flint is the largest parish church in the county. lts recorded history goes back more than eight hundred years. The building of it commenced in 1i31 and work on it was carried out over the next four hundred years. Major restoration was carried out from 1865 when it had been allo wed to fall into decay. This was the view from the north side in 1906.

48. The Wenloek Chapel is divided from the chancel by this finely carved Gothic double arch or screen, which has been said to be the most notabie of its kind in northern Europe. The Wenloek Chapel itself was built in 1461 by Sir John Wenloek who died at the battle of Tewkesbury. Also seen in this view is the organ, built in 1823. It has sin ce been moved and the present organ is in the south transept.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek