Luton in old picture postcards

Luton in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   F. Hackett
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Bedfordshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2132-3
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Luton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

49. This view of the interior of St. Mary's Church has been taken looking east towards the chancel. The arches on the right date back to 1360 and are Late Decorated in style. The east windows behind the altar were built in 1866, their triple lancet style was designed to imitate the original thirteenth century windows which were removed in the eighteenth century.

50. The canopied baptistry is a unique feature of the Parish Church. Only two other baptistries in the country have similar canopies, but they are made of wood. The Luton example is of richly carved white Totternhoe stone in the Decorated style with eight piereed and traceried sides. The font inside it is thirteenth century and made of Purbeek marble.

51. The Old Vicarage of St. Mary's Church stood where St. Mary's Raad now is. In 1780 it was the residence of William Co1e, a friend of John Wesleyand in the previous century the poet Pomfret is recorded as having been bom in the oid Vicarage at Luton. This rambling eighteenth century building was demolished, not without some protests, in 1907 to make way for the Electricity Works which itself has now gone.

...--- -"

'Par~ Sr., tuten. 1844.

52. The Old Baptist Meeting House which was known as the 'Round Meeting' stood at the end of a narro w en try off Park Street. It was built in 1814 and came to a premature end when, during a stormy night in 1866, it was blown down and reduced to rubble. The Museum col1ection of photographs contains a print showing a wedding taking place amid the wreckage. It was replaced by the new Park Street Baptist Chapel which itself was final1y demolished in 1975.

53. The former Bute Hospital in Dunstable Road, now known as St. Mary's, was built on land given by the trustees of the Marquess of Bute. It was opened in 1882 and enlarged to forty beds in 1905. In 1939 it was replaced as Luton's main hospital when the present Luton and Dunstable Hospital was opened.

54. John Wes1ey preached in Luton on a number of occasions. His direct and home1y manner of speech appealed to many people who were dissatisfied with the way in which the established church was run and on his visit to Luton Parish Church he was received with some hostility by the clergy. When his followers later separated from the Church of England, the first Methodist Chapel to be built in Luton, seen in this photograph, was built in 1778 on land opposite the Parish Church, given by William Co1e.

;' ~ .? ",.

55. The contrast between the first Wesleyan Chapel and that built eighty years later in Waller Street emphasises how the noncorformist church had prospered in Luton. Built at a cost of t2,700, when the population of the town was 5,000, the Waller Street Methodist Chapel was a fine and dignified building. It is seen here before the hall was built next to it. Demolition took place in 1962 ready for the Arndale Shopping Centre.

56. The Grand Theatre in Waller Street was opened by the ce1ebrated Edwardian actress Lily Langtry in 1898 and was an important souree of entertainment for Lutonians until, under competition from cinemas and television, it was finally c1osed.

57. This photograph of the Moat House at Biscot gives litt1e indication of any great age. It was however, built between 1370 and 1400 and is by far the oldest secular building in the town. Despite being under threat of demolition for some time it has now been restored and converted for use as an hotel.

Luton.

High T own Rd.

~a:ll i<U'ies. Luton.

58. This view of High Town was taken in about 1900. The tower of the Methodist Chapel can be seen towards the left hand side of the picture. The development of the High Town area did not take place until weH into the nineteenth century and, as no modern rebuilding has taken place along its frontage, many of the buildings seen here can be recognised today.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek