Lymington in old picture postcards

Lymington in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Brian J. Down
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3293-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lymington in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. This is the 11 ,630-ton stearnship St. Paul, which had set out from Southampton for New Vork under the command of Capt. Passow. She was travelling at half-speed, around 13 knots, compared to the Gladiator's nine knots, at the time of impact. When G1adiator's skipper, Capt. Lumsden, requested the St. Paul to back off, icy waters flooded into the warship, causing her to keel over to starboard. The St. Paul 's port lifeboats were by now iced up, taking 20 minutes to free. The American ship returned to Southampton Docks for repairs, before resuming her voyage to New Vork. By strange coincidence, she inexplicably capsized and sank whilst at anchor in New Vork harbour on 25th April 1918, ten years to the day after the Solent collision.

--

-

I
-- ==
- ??. - ==
- ~
~ ------=
-" I ,
IJ' '" -
'-r Ur 10. King's the booksellers at 105, High Street, their present site, pictured in 1860, 55 years after their arrival in Lymington. The family had begun their printing, booksellers' and stationers' business in 1735 at Yeovil, Somerset. Rooms at the rear ofthe Lymington premises were made into a printing works - and Richard King was reputed to be the first man to publish a cloth-bound book for a shilling, which he sold in great quantities in the late 1800s. One great work produced by the firm was the publication of the Registrars of the Dutch Church of Austen Friars in London, consisting of some twelve volumes, which took 28 years before completion in 1912. Printers at this time eamed 221- a week from 7 in the morning til! 7 at night, and from 7 ti1l4 on Saturdays. The shop pictured next door, No. 107, is that of Charles Hatchard, confectioner and insurance agent.

11. The oid tollbridge. In 1731 a merchant captain of Boldre, named William Cross, built a dam across the river. By the time local citizens summoned the law against him, the Captain had died. His widow, and a tailor named William Lyne, exacted a toll on all crossing the dam. At Winchester Assizes in 1739, Lymington Corporation lost an action for trespass against the widow Cross, calling for the demolition of the causeway. This resulted in the wrath of ship owners dependent on the scouting action of the tides and there was always the indignity of paying tolls to a tailor! As a consequence of the dam, silting continually got worse. In 1899 the second Lord Montagu was driving King Edward VII on one of his first car rides - but at the tollbridge was made to wait by the gatekeeper and landlord Mr. G. Gooden, who was still annoyed after someone had sped across earlier that day without paying. The King was considerably amused at the incident.

12. Despite the vaJiant efforts of Lymington firemen using their 1897 pump, families in these Belmore Lane thatched cottages were made horneless in 'The Great Fire at Lymington' on 27th May 1913. The building on the extreme right of the picture is Strong & Co. of Romsey's Millwright's Arrns, where the last licence was issued on 15th February 1915. The burned out cottages belonged to Mr. 'Postman' Brown, who is seen second from the left. Standing next to him towards the right are bricklayer Mr. Lottie Broomfield, boatbuilder and fireman MI. Buffy Springer, and farmer Mr. Fatty Golding. The cottages had to be demolished.

13. On 25th January 1858, an application was made to Lord Panmure by the mayor, John Hayward, suggesting that one of the Russian guns captured in the Crimea might be forwarded to the town as a gift. The request was granted, and a subscription was made to defray the cost of an iron carriage to mount it on. At the instigation of the War Office, the carriage was made at Woolwich, and the cannon was sited in the middle of the road at the north end of New Street - where it became a favourite of schoolboys who clambered along the barrel. The cannon was removed in 1941, and melted down for armaments in the Second World War.

14. The original Lyrnington Cottage Hospital, opened in 1912 after a public appeal for ±:600 to build a hospital as a memorial to King Edward VII. It was built by the loeal firm of Stone & St. John with two four-bedded wards, a ene-bed emergency ward, operating theatre, X-ray room, dispensary and kitchen. Crowds gathered for the opening cerernony, when a letter was received from Florence Nightingale. In 1929 a wealthy American visitor, MI. Barkley Henry, and his wife were treated at the hospital, and he presented a new theatre, X-ray and physiotherapy rooms in gratitude. Additional buildings have been constructed, the result of a ±:2,200 public appeal in 1928, another for ±:5,OOO in 1932, then in 1980 a ±:150,OOO appeal for new easualty unit and pathology block ultimately reached an amazing ±:450,OOO, and the new units were formally opened by Princess Arme in 1983. The original hospital building now acts as administrative offices.

15. The town hall on town hill was the fifth to be built in the High Street. In 1910 Mrs. Martha Earley left in her will two houses, 117 and 118 High Street, to the town for use as municipal offices. However, it was found that the houses were unsuitable for conversion, so a new town hall was erected on Mrs. Earley's site - and her sister Mrs. Ellen Hewitt gave the building to the town in memory of her near-relatives. The foundation stone was laid on 12th February 1913, by Mrs. Hewitt, who ean be seen to the left of the mayor, John Shrubb. This town hall was vaeated when staff moved to new premises in Avenue Road, which were formally opened by H.M. the Queen in July 1966. The old site made way for the Earley Court shopping precinct.

16. The paddle-steamer Mayflower, iced up off Lymington Quay in 1908. She was built in Newcastle with an iron hull, and came into service in 1866. Her sister-ship on the crossings to Yarmouth was the Lyrnington, built in 1893, and the bridges of both vesse1s were open to all weathers. Skipper of the Mayflower was the shaggy-bearded Captain Doe, who sought to relieve his gout by consuming alcohol. On one such occasion during a foggy night, Captain Doe's Mayflower became firrnly stuck in the mud and the passengers remained on board all night before being taken off the following morning. The Mayflower was withdrawn from service in 1908. Skipper of the Lymington was Captain Seyrnour, and the steward a MI. Stratton, whose wife provided delicious teas on board of new bread and jam, and prawns - as much as you could eat for 6d. The return fare to Totland Bay was around 9d. before the Lyrnington was withdrawn from service in 1912. There had been a regular steamer service to Yarmouth since 1830.

17. Lymington Quay from the east. In the foreground is the pontoon, where passengers alighted on the halfpenny rowing ferry. Along the river-front at the Quay are Mew Langtori's brewery buildings, which bore a large emblem of the Freemasons, for MI. Mew was a prominent Mason. On the opposite side of the wad in Quay Street is Lisle House, a doss-house for those of no fixed abode run by MI. Arnold - who, despite the handicap of having only one leg, rowed MI. Badeoek's ferry boat across the river. At one time in the doss-house thin rope lines were strung across the room at ehest height - the inmates would plaee their arms along the lines, rest their heads on their arms, and thus sleep standing up, to cram more people into the room: henee the saying 'I eould sleep on a clothes line'.

18. The ncwsagent's and stationer's shop of W. Mate & Sons, late H. Doman, at 17, High Street. This photograph was taken in 1900 at the time of the Relief of Mafeking, and MI. Mate can be seen proudly standing outside his premises decorated for the occasion with pictures of 'British Heroes' above the shopfront. Posters behind the little girl advertise Lewis & Badcock's forthcoming auctions, and latest headlines from "I'he Lymington Chronicle'. The small poster on the right of the entrance shows Lymington Cricket Club fixtures against the Royal Engineers and Totton. The following year, 1901, railings were erected along the pavement edge. The shop was later owned by Culls the drapers, Hayter's fancy goods, then in 1937 Jack Blachford brought his hairdressing business there from across the IOad at No. 121.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek