Lymington in old picture postcards

Lymington in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Brian J. Down
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3293-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lymington in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Pilley Village centre. In the cottage on the right lived bricklayer Henry Broomfield, who walked to work during the construction of bridges along the railway track between Brockenhurst and New Milton. On the opposite side ofthe road was 'Sniffy' Segar's sweet shop, which later became Lanford's pastry and sweet shop, then Billy Eales the butchers. The furthest building is the Working Men's Club, where Jack Scorey was steward. From the trees beyond, called Five Elms, the young boy Dowden feil, and was to remain bed-ridden for the remainder of bis years. In the background is the Congregational Church, opened in March 1858, after Mr. Robert Stroud had purchased the plot of land in order that Dissenting Christians might have a place of regular worship.

20. The Lyric Cinema in St. Thomas' Street, where many a local romance blossomed. The cinema was built in 1912 by local builders Rashleys, with seating for 500. Under the title of New Forest Entertainments Ltd., the three original directors were Messrs. Last confectioner, Hewitt auctioneer, and Vicary solicitor. The first manager was Mr. Cecil Elgar, before the cinema was closed for structural strengthening, owing to the weight of the ceiling. In 1914 Mr. Harry Wincote was made manager, when the silent films were cranked by hand by one operator, and the lights came up when reels were changed. Mr. Wincote's son Cyril sornetimes deputised for the pianist. The cinema also acted as an Army teeruiting office during the First World War. In 1930 Mr. Wincote was surprised to receive one week's notice, and was succeeded by Mr. Walter Mouland, who also acted as the fire station officer. He collapsed and died in his cinema office in 1961, and The Lyric closed two years later.

21. Patriotic townsfolk crowd into the High Street at the end of the First World War. The Mayor, Edward Stone, stands with town clerk Sherby Tizzard, between a firemen's guard of honour outside the Angel Hotel. The shop on the 1eft on the opposite side of the road, is No. 19, where the registrar and L.S.W. Railway agent Edward Hapgood lived and died, he walked as far as Beaulieu and back to register births and deaths. Next door is J. Topp, butcher; Knight's the confectioners; the American Dental Co. in No. 22; J.N. Brown Co.; G.H. Gare, pharmacist; and the grocer's South Hants Stores at No. 25.

<.-._--

THE BATHS. LYMINGTON

22. There have been Baths in Lyrnington at least as far back as the 1780s, using an inlet from the salterns, At this time the proprietress was Mrs. Beeston, who advertised 'the strengthening sea baths', and there was also Legge's Baths. Terms in 1825 read: 'For a warm bath 3s 6d; shower ditto 2s Od; cold bath with guide Is Od; ditto without a guide 6d.' The guide was a man who held the bather up by a rope. In March 1833, a public company was formed under the title 'Lyrnington Bath & Improvement Company', Almost i6,000 was raised by i25 shares and donations for more commodious baths, but after a few years the company got into financial difficulties, yet were rescued for a time by the liberality of Lyrnington's representatives in Parliament. In 1855 the baths were sold to Mr. G. Inman for as many hundreds of pounds as it cost in thousands, In 1902 there was an auction sale of the baths in London, and purchased by Mr. T. Rawlins, In 1929 they were taken over by the Corporation.

-~-

23. In 1898 Frederick House left the employ of Lyrnington High Street trader Mr. E. R. Badcock, where he had been manager for 15 years, 10 start up his own upholsterer's and undertaker's business at 33, SI. Thomas' Streel. Mr. Badcock commented: 'Give House six months, and he'll be back'. But Frederick's venture thrived with expansion to two shops next door, and the middle two ofhis four offspring, Frederick William and Charles Edward, joined the business, which ranged from linoleum-laying to coffin-bearing in a glass-sided hearse drawn by black-plurned horses. They were succeeded by grandson Ronald, then by great-grandson Nigel for the finn's centenary in 1998. This picture shows the founder and his daughter Ellen in the shop doorway extreme right, in 1902, on the occasion of Edward VlI's coronation.

Parish eh rch, ymington

24. An ivy-covered St. Thomas' Church, pictured in 1902. The most ancient part of the church is that part between the nave and the chancel, dating from around 1250. The tower dates from Charles Il. lt was the practice of the Vicar of Boldre to nominate a chaplain for Lyrnington until 1869, when it was decreed that the right of patronage should be invested in the Bishop of Winchester. At one time Henry Lyte, author of the hymn 'Abide with Me', held a curacy in Lymington. In 1873 a three-decker pulpit was removed. Up until1831 the musical part of the service was sustained by a small orchestra, but in that year a fine organ was installed, with MI. P. Klitz as organist. In 1911, thanks to a legacy from Mrs. Earley, the organ was enlarged to 93 stops and 1816 speaking pipes, with an electric motor. Members of the Klitz family were organists until1887 when Mr. H. Frecknall was appointed, followed by MI. Harry Wakeford in 1909.

25. Lymington's first railway station. The railway line from Brockenhurst arrived in the town in 1858, with crowds of passengers squeezing into the coaches for the inaugural run. The permanent railway station was not completed until September 1860 - so this property was used as the station for the two intervening years, It was later used as a house for the crossing keeper, until demolished in 1954. There was also a single wooden platform at Shirley Holms, midway between Lyrnington and Brockenhurst, opened in October 1860, as a request halt during the hours of daylight. It fell into disuso with the opening of Sway station in 1888, on the main Bournemouth line, and consequently closed soon after the turn of the century.

26. The Lockyer family owned shops in the High Street and round the corner in Gosport Street at various times. Mr. Loekver is seen standing (left) at the doorway of the shop in which he carried out boot and shoe repairs, and displayed fancy goods in the window. He lived in Southampton Buildings, and was also a part-time postman. A kindly man, MI. Lockyer was a great favourite with the loeal children. Such was his generosity that he was prepared to wait for payment of rus shoe mending. Note young apprentice on right standing on steps for the photographer. This photograph was taken in 1905 when Mr. Loekver occupied No. 124, High Street, acquired some five years later by Figgures,

27. The memorial procession for King Edward VII, marching along the High Street on 20th May 1910. In the foreground are the drummer, macebearer and mayor, followed in order by councillors, sailors with straw boater hats, soldiers, firemen, scouts and other organizations. Shops, from the left, are W.C. Lock's Covent Garden Stores; The Borough Stores run by Hodson & Co. with their sign 'Anglo-Bavarian Pale & Mild Ales & Stout in Cask and Bottle'; W. Rickman, coal merchants and wholesale sweet stores; Frank Bran fishmonger (with girl standing over shop facia); Henry Badcock chemist; F.H. Humphrey's 'hair cutting, shaving and shampooing rooms'; Topp's the family butcher; International Stores; Edward King bookseller; Jackman & Masters auctioneers and house agents, general insurance and shipping agents; and the Angel Hotel, formerly the George, one of the oldest inns in the town.

/

:!

./ j

.'~-

-e

28. The original Lyric Cinema, and next door is the St. Thomas' Refreshment Rooms, with the sign 'Good accommodation for Cyclists'. The shop was later called The Albion Tea Rooms, a family concern run by MI. and Mrs. Smith, their son and daughter, and Mr. Smith's mother. Behind the Tea Rooms was the bakehouse run by Mr. Englefield, for whom Les Woodford worked from the age of 11. MI. Tom House took over the bakehouse from 1929, and a few years later also took control of the shop, which by then had beeome a grocer's run by Mr. Fry. On the opposite side of the road ean be seen the shop awning of Madame Isobel, the rnilliner. She used to make her own pies, then take them across the street to the bakehouse for a pastry topping.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek