Lymington in old picture postcards

Lymington in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Brian J. Down
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3293-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lymington in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. The confectioner's shop of Charles Doe in Southampton Road - opposite the old Wellworthy site - around 1910. Pictured outside are his wife Gertrude (née Figgins) and their son Richard. The family made their own ice cream for sale, Charles also travelled round the area on his bicycle as a chimney-sweep. His brother Mosey Doe was also a chirnney-sweep, using a threewheeler car with tiller steering to carry his brushes and rods. Mosey lived in a St. Thomas' Street shop opposite the cinema, where his wife ran a café and sold sweets.

30. The paddle-steamer Solent, turning at Lymington Pier. It was whilst on board the Solent in 1897 that Marconi experimented with wireless communication between the steamer and A1um Bay, by the Need1es. Her sister-ship was the Freshwater, which possessed the addition of a foresail. Seen meeting the ferry is Lymington's 'push-and-pull' steam train. It was in 1858 that the Lymington Railway Company opened their line to Brockenhurst at a cost of f21,000, in 2,100 shares of HO each - which included the purchase of the tollbridge. The railway station site was formerly a marsh on which a sa1tern had been made. The London & South Western Railway taak over in 1879. Five years later the railway line was extended to the Pier station, where ships cou1d berth at any state of the tide. The crossing at the Pier had the distinction of being the longest single-span railway gate in the country.

31. When Cecil Barrow wanted to open a cycle and motor-evele shop in the town, his father Harry Barrow first sat for an hour in Lloyd's Bank - and afterwards told his sen: 'This is the place, there's money here!' Sa, in 1919, Cecil opened 79 and 80, High Street - now Woolworths. This photograph was taken in 1920, with Cecil standing behind the Douglas motorbike. On the left is his motor cycle mechanic Jack Shepherd, and on the right cycle mechanic 'Midge' Haines. A petrol pump was later added on the right of the premises, with the storage tank beneath the shop floor. Cecil went on to become a motor cycle racer of some repute on the Isle of Man bet ween the years 1925-1935, finishing second in 1928 on a lightweight Royal Enfield at an average speed of 58.92 m.p.h. Cecil also entered a three-man syndicate which produced three-wheeled JMB cars at Ringwood, with kick-start and ash-wood chassis and fabric body, costing t 75 lOs. Around 100 were built before the business folded in 1936.

32. Lyrnington Fire Brigade, seen in 1904 standing in front of the water tower which was situated near the entrance to the Sports Ground. Rules of the Brigade at that time stated: 'The Brigade shall consist of 15 members or more and called The Borough of Lymington Fire Brigade, such members to hold office at the will of the Council.' There was to be at least one drill every month, without pay, 'and any member absent without satisfactory reasen shall be fined 6d., and any member who is absent from two drills or two fires a year, without satisfactory reason, shall be dismissed'. Each member attending a fire within the Borough was paid 2/6d. for the first hour and 1/- for each subsèquent hour, and bystanders selected to aid the Brigade were entitled to 6d. an hour. A superintendent and deputy superintendent of the Fire Brigade were elected by the Council.

33. Boldre Bridge, with Billy Winkworth in his donkey and cart on the gravel track in the foreground. In the house nearest the bridge lived the Wellstead family, and beyond them lived Sid Jenvey the wheelwright. On the opposite side of the wad MI. Culi, the shoeing-smith, resided. The section of wad in the foreground was shut off soon after the end of the First Wor1d War, and diverted a little higher up from the river.

111. ~mlnJrtón.

34. Union Hili, now East Hili, pictured in 1919. Standing in the foreground are Mrs. Flo Pearce and her son George. Near the top of the hili was the Poerhouse - now the site of the Infirmary - which cost f248 lOs. to build after parish officers had agreed in 1738, that such an institution was needed. Richard Budden was the first master at a salary of fl. In 1780 it was decided that if any of the poor within the Poorhouse were seen about the streets without a ticket bearing the letters LP for identification, issued by the master of the house, his pay be taken off for the week. In 1836 the parishes of Boldre, Brockenhurst, Beaulieu and Lyrnington amalgamated to build one common Workhouse, at a cost of !4,SOO to the design of MT. S. Kempthorne, and it became known as the Lyrnington Union. The substantial brick house later used as a nurses' home in the grounds was once a fever hospital.

35. The steam bus which journeyed from New Milton railway station to local hotels, around 1905. This formidable looking vehicle, with its high cab, only operated for some 18 months as roads could not cope with its weight, and often became stuck. The steam bus is seen proceeding up town hill, and just beyond the shops is No. 15 High Street, Stanwell House, where General Jarnes Wolfe is recorded as having spent his last night in England, in 1759, before leaving for Quebec. The following morning he stepped into a longboat at the Quay which conveyed hirn to a frigate moored in the Solent. The General's cousin Mr. James Burcher owned Stanwell House, and he was buried in Lyrnington churchyard in February 1792. Stanwell House became an establishment for educating young !adies run by Mary Galpine, About 1870 the concern was taken over by the Misses Rose, 'assisted by first c!ass English and foreign governesses and well qualified professors', who offered education 'with sound religious training'.

BROCKENHURST

36. The Crown Inn at Buckland, a very oid roadside inn on the Southampton Road entrance to the town. In 1764 the Freemasons' Lodge was constituted there. During the time of Stephen Harris in 1877 monkeys were kept there, which pilfered items from the pockets of unwitting customers. Hence the inn was nicknamed 'The Monkey House' - and this name was recently adopted to replace The Crown Inn title. The last licensee to own monkeys was Mr. Hams. These animals were in fact chained to a sycamore tree outside the pub - and the length of the chain allowed the monkeys to shelter in tbe gabled loft over the pub. During the Second World War the licensing magistrate commented: 'I'm pleased to see the Crown has becorne the second home for Canadian troops stationed at Buckland Manor. ' In 1986 it was renamed the Tollhouse Ion.

37. This is the slaughterhouse yard behind Mr. J. Topp's butcher's shop at No. 20 High Street, at the top ofthe hill. Cattle and sheep brought in by ferry were guided up Station Street, Gosport Street and the hill and through the entrance tunnel into the slaughterhouse - there were hectic scenes whenever the animals escaped up the High Street. Mr. Topp had an open shopfront, with carcasses hung from meat-hooks - and sawdust scattered on the pavement beneath to soak up any blood. The Topp family also owned sweet shops in Gosport Street and Lower Buekland Road - where children, provided they had at least ld. to spend, were allowed to stand on a ehair and select sweets of their choke in the shop window.

38. Barges off the wharf at Lymington Quay. As far back as 1325, Southampton lodged complaints with the Crown over the town of Lymington taking customs duty monies from ships putting into the river, whereas Southampton were entitled to that privilege for all ports between Hurst and Langstone. In 1725 Roger Beer, a local merchant of some standing, entered 5,000 qrs. ofwheat in the books ofthe Customs House at Lymington, so that as a burgess he would not have to pay dues. He exported the wheat on ships to John Thomeur, passing on dues as though they had been paid. Beer admitted bis offence in court, was deprived of bis office of burgess, and had to pay the dues and costs. In the 1800s Quay and river dues were often let out to the highest tender. Coal ships were unloaded at the Quay by a dozen or so men. Behind the wharves, along Quay Street, was a Bethel where sailors attended religious services.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek