Lymington in old picture postcards

Lymington in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Brian J. Down
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3293-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Lymington in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. On the extreme right is Rashley & Co.'s building works, founded in 1859 by Percy Rashley, who owned a great deal of property in Milford. His fellow directors were Tom Rashley and Frank Totterdell. At one time they employed almost 100 men, and the Victoria Hotel in Milford was also one of the firm's prestige properties. Torn Rashley died in 1911, and churchwarden Richard Bower was to succeed as managing director, and a great deal of restoration work was carried out in Lymington Church, He in turn was later succeeded by Arthur Trigell. Next door is the lnvincible Garage, 'official repairers to the R.A.C. and A.A.', later to become Dawsons Garage.

40. Priestlands Place, otherwise known as Soapy Lane, had a gate across the entrance known as Temple Bar, in order to restriet the lane to pedestrian traffic. To the right is the substantial building which formed Priestlands Dairy, run by the Hawkins family for many years, and next door is S. Hayward, the butcher. This property was demolished to make way for the one-way system round the top of the town, The shop on the extreme right is F, Knight's confectioners. On the left-hand side of the road can be seen the waterdrinking fountain.

41. Lymington Town Band, photographed in 1910 outside MI. W. Batts' house in New Street. MI. Batts seen on the left wearing a straw boater, was a tireless worker for Lymington Hospital. Seated in the centre is bandmaster Hinckley, who subsequent1y joined the Canadian Army. The band has been in continuo us existence sin ce 1883. They held their first practice in Pardey's Dairy, Buckland, later moving to a room at the Sea Baths, and played before King Edward VII - who thought it a huge joke that they should call themselves a Temperanee Band! Remarkably, the band was never out of prize lists at festivals during its first 80 years, making national headlines. Competing at Rhyl, Wales, sorne years ago, they were awarded second prize. Returning by coach at night, their motor-coach punctured at Brockenhurst on Sunday morning - when they were due to lead the Lyrnington mayor's church parade. The procession moved off - and the bandsmen caught up by sprinting along New Street and playing at the rear!

42. The north side of St. Thomas' Church, before the construction of the Church Rooms. Prior to 1821, the churchyard extended to the centre of the High Street. In that year Sir Harry Burrard NeaIe presented the churchwardens with three-quarters of an acre of ground to the north, part of Barfields, Ier a cemetery, The High Street roadway was then cut back, along with the old churchyard. The pathway was also widened, and rounded off when the war memorial was erected in front of the church at the end of the First World War. Through the gateway on the left ean be seen the old main post office in the High Street.

.OWER BUC~LANO VILLAGE.

43. A view of Lower Buckland Road in the year 1915. On the left is Pardey's Terra ce, and at the top of the hill was the dairy run by Mr. Bennett, with cow pens and fields to the rear. The milk was delivered by Mr. Pressey, who lived in a bungalow in the hollow field beyend the dairy. The children in the picture are Annie (9) and John (12) Smith on either side, whose father Bill was a groom for Miss Saunders at Rose Hili, whilst proudly holding the bicycle in the centre is Kathleen Palmer (12), whose father was chauffeur for Keppel Pulteney. The three children were coming home from school when they were confronted by the photographer.

44. Hundreds of townsfolk turned out in the High Street when an octave of bells arrived in 1901 for installation at St. Thomas' Church. The church tower was erected in 1670, but it was another four years before a ring of six bells were hung. These were replaced in 1786. Then in 1901 five of those bells were sent to be re-tuned, the remaining 'old fourth' was re-cast half a tone lower to fit the arrangement, and a new treble and tenor augmented a full octave. The Vicar, Canon Maturin, is seen in the foreground, along with dignitories of the town, and the band. Seen standing on his cart in the middle of the crowd to the right, with arm on hip, is Bill Phillips, who carried the heaviest bell, the tenor weighing just over a ton. The bells were installed with new steel frame and fittings. A team ofbellringers recorded their achlevement of a quarter-peal in 1904, and a three-hour peal in 1906, on engraved stone tablets in the tower. Mr. George Preston came from Christchurch to train the ringers.

45. Children under the avenue of trees at The Grove. Alongside were allotrnents, but these were landscaped into the large and pleasant Grove Gardens for the pleasure of townsfolk. A handsome brick shelter with tiled roof was formally opened on 8th September 1938 by the mayor, William Round, D.B.E., a tablet stating: Erected by public subscription to the memory of an honoured and distinguished gentleman, wiƻtam Ingham Whitaker, Esq., D.L., J.P., C.A., of Pylewell Park, Lymington, who passed away on the 10th day of July, 1936. The burgesses of Lymington lost a great friend and neighbour whose outs tanding public and charitable work in the Borough will ever be remembered. Sadly, continual vandalism forced the Town Council to demolish all but the 2' base ofthe shelter in 1983.

46. Men attempt to extricate a horse and cart which has slipped into the river, near the Baths in 1912. In the background ean be seen the old Coastguard Boathouse, on a site owned by Lymington CounciI, but in 1923 the lease was transferred to the newly formed Lyrnington River Sailing Club, which was formed in 1914, with 18 members and Capt. H. Nicholson as club captain, but when the country had gone to war, the club closed down. In 1922 the Club was re-created by Mayor Cyril Potter. They took over the lease of the boathouse as their headquarters as members transformed the prernises, and in 1924 they bought the property, slipway and site for !600. Another !1,253 was spent on improvements, after such fund-raising events as amateur dramatics. By 1928 membership had grown to 384, and larger premises were needed - this was earried out by loeal builder G. Harvey, and there have been several subsequent additions. In December 1925, the Admiralty Warrant was granted, and L.R.S.C. became the Lymington Yacht Club. Application was made in 1926 for the Royal Warrant, but this was not granted until King George VI signed his approval in 1938.

47. Lymington railway station, showing many different modes of transport: a pony and trap, stagecoach, stearn-bus, petrol engined car, and the steam-train waiting at the platform. It was on 9th November 1844, that the Town Counci1 passed a resolution pointing out the advantages of a railway communication with London. In. 1847 a Bill for making a line from Dorchester to Lyrnington was laid before the Council, but nothing came of it. In 1853, after Brockenhurst station had been acquired by the L. & S.W.R., a public meeting in Lyrnington resolved 'to adopt measures for securing a branch railway line from Brockenhurst to this town'. In 1858 the Lyrnington Railway Company opened their line to Brockenhurst. Back in 1661, deeds of the site of the station had been granted to Lyrnington baker Thomas Bolman, on a lease for 2,000 years at a rental of one penny perannum.

48. This picture is taken from the corner of Captaln's Row - formerly South Street - and Nelson's Place, before Queen Katherine Road council houses were constructed in the 1920s under a Government building scheme, The path ahead from this point was known by the locals as 'Through the Pields'. Queen Katherine Road was so named after Katherine Parr, wife of Henry vm, as 'the Flushards' were part of her dowry. At the top of the picture lies the council housing estate Flushards, where cattle used to be killed, with oxheads sold to the Poerhouse. 1t was in 1409 that the Town Council granted John Peperwhyt, a butcher or 'flesher', the plot of ground called the Flesshettes, later corrupted to Flushards, a meat slaughtering place which for centuries was in the possession of burgesses as tenants of the Lord of the Manor.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek